sharetrader
Page 2 of 61 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    Why? Serious question.

A single tax rate of 35%??????
    I thought you said 15k tax free then 20% to 80k plus a Universal income of 16.5k

Read the rest of what I posted under Phase 2 of their plan.

Quote Originally Posted by clearasmud View Post
    I thought you said 15k tax free then 20% to 80k plus a Universal income of 16.5k

Guru

What's the point of discussing all the things TOP will be implementing - when they don't have a hope in hell of getting any of it done?!
    Even Winston knows to settle for himself as Minister of Foreign Affairs + a regional slush fund, he knows he can't start remaking tax laws.
    'Phase 2 of their plan'....rofl, wake me up when they are over the 5% threshold....clear that and they may just get an associate minister position for Raf Manji if by some miracle they find themselves within cooee of being 'kingmaker'.

You could say the same for any of the minor parties. NZF, The Greens .... none of them are ever going to be in a position to actually implement their policies. Best they could hope for is to get one or two through as part of a coalition government, but you can bet your bottom dollar they will never get anything major through.

Besides which, the only purpose of discussing it, is because policy is what voters look to when making their voting decisions. There are slim pickings this time round. People are looking at parties they wouldn't have even bothered looking at in the past, just to see if "maybe" their policies have merit, and warrant a vote.

TOP's do not.

Quote Originally Posted by Logen Ninefingers View Post
    What's the point of discussing all the things TOP will be implementing - when they don't have a hope in hell of getting any of it done?!
    Even Winston knows to settle for himself as Minister of Foreign Affairs + a regional slush fund, he knows he can't start remaking tax laws.
    'Phase 2 of their plan'....rofl, wake me up when they are over the 5% threshold....clear that and they may just get an associate minister position for Raf Manji if by some miracle they find themselves within cooee of being 'kingmaker'.
    Last edited by justakiwi; 16-08-2023 at 09:21 PM.

Read the rest of what I posted under Phase 2 of their plan.
    I'm quite keen and curious about a land tax.
    I hate what high land and building costs have done to the standard of living.

Guru

You could say the same for any of the minor parties. NZF, The Greens .... none of them are ever going to be in a position to actually implement their policies. Best they could hope for is to get one or two through as part of a coalition government, but you can bet your bottom dollar they will never get anything major through.

Besides which, the only purpose of discussing it, is because policy is what voters look to when making their voting decisions. There are slim pickings this time round. People are looking at parties they wouldn't have even bothered looking at in the past, just to see if "maybe" their policies have merit, and warrant a vote.

TOP's do not.
    Winston knows he won't be in a position to implement any meaningful policies, as I've already mentioned. He says a bunch of things that he knows will resonate with certain angry and befuddled voters, then when he gets over the threshold he settles down to enjoy the 'baubles of office'.

Anyone who actually believes that any of the minor parties will be in a position to implement a suite of policies that would reshape something as fundamental as the tax landscape is deluded.

Winston knows he won't be in a position to implement any meaningful policies, as I've already mentioned. He says a bunch of things that he knows will resonate with certain angry and befuddled voters, then when he gets over the threshold he settles down to enjoy the 'baubles of office'.

Anyone who actually believes that any of the minor parties will be in a position to implement a suite of policies that would reshape something as fundamental as the tax landscape is deluded.
    Apparently NZF has some anti vaxxers candidates that will be happy on the opposition.

Permanent Newbie

[SIZE=3][FONT=arial]Yep, first $15,000 of income tax free but tax rate for anyone earning $15,000-$80,000 moves to 20%. Which, for those at the lower/middle of that income bracket, pretty much negates the "tax free" amount.

You going to vote for this? I sure as hell wouldn't.
    I am unsure how you did your sums to come up with this statement even at $44,000 with the Independent Earner Tax Credit you are paying $400.00 less under TOP's policy.

As far as the land tax goes it is simple and hard to avoid so I like it. The rate is quite high at .75% my council rates currently work out at around .04% on GV and I think the rates in my area are higher than most. An across the board capital gains tax would be preferable but that can come in time. Their original equity tax was also pretty radical.

.75% works out at $6,750 on an average house valued at $900,000. Ideally you would want stage two to be implemented sooner so your UBI could cover the tax.

Stage two the flat tax of 35% sounds radical. FP would like this if it were 20%. The 35% rate also means that most of our UBI would have to go into paying taxes if we also have a job so it is not the crazy handout that we first thought it was.

Haven't done the numbers but like the sound of "progressive tax rates"

Interesting that Justakiwi and Daytr have come out against such progressive and fair minded policies. Not so easy being a liberal when it comes out of your own pocket but in justakiwi's case if your financial situation is as you have mentioned on this site this is the party for you.

A "radical centrist party" sounds like a conflict in terms.

Gareth Morgan was too arrogant or not smart enough to realise TOP would have a better chance if they focused on an electoral win and dragged a couple of extra MPs in with the party vote.

Hey Baa Baa what was TOPs party vote when Gareth first formed it?

I don't know what Raj Manji's chances are in Ilam and if he does not win a TOP vote could be a wasted vote as they do not appear to be able to get the 5% threshold.

I will probably vote for them anyway as I do not like the alternatives and any party looking to invest in young people once again is worth a go. You have to start somewhere.

Note to boomers National Superannuation will not be touched.
    Last edited by Aaron; 17-08-2023 at 09:48 AM.

Guru

It does shows us their values though.

When I see Act's tax policy for instance I think ..what a mean bunch of people.
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 17-08-2023 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Panda-NZ- View Post
    It does shows us their values though.

When I see Act's tax policy for instance I think ..what a mean bunch of people.
    Tell us again how countries like Australia and France are wanting their societies to go back to the dark ages because they have banned mobiles from school.

panda-nz : resident ignoramus Labour indoctrinated shill and peasant.