sharetrader
Page 5 of 61 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Just use your vote in the most effective way against the party you think will do the most damage.
    Yes voting tactically is quite likely the way it will go for me.

I get this, but it pisses me off royally, that our current political situation is forcing voters to “settle” for a party they do not support or want to vote for, purely to ensure the current Government they also don’t support or want to vote for - loses.

This is not how it should be and it makes a farce of democracy and NZ politics. I don’t know what the answer is, but something needs to change because we are stuck in a perpetual loop that we cannot get out of. We just keep on rinsing and repeating and achieving sweet Fanny Adams. Every time a new Government comes into power and reverses the previous government’s policies/decisions or whatever, it costs money, regardless of which party we are talking about. Our political system is ****ed.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Just use your vote in the most effective way against the party you think will do the most damage.
    Last edited by justakiwi; 20-08-2023 at 08:48 AM.

Advanced Member

Mighty oaks from little acorns grow.

Some get TOPped, but many don't.

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    I get this, but it pisses me off royally, that our current political situation is forcing voters to “settle” for a party they do not support or want to vote for, purely to ensure the current Government they don’t support or want to vote for - loses.

This is not how it should be and it makes a farce of democracy and NZ politics. I don’t know what the answer is, but something needs to change because we are stuck in a perpetual loop that we cannot get out of. We just keep on rinsing and repeating and achieving sweet Fanny Adams. Every time a new Government comes into power and reverses the previous government’s policies/decisions or whatever, it costs money, regardless of which party we are talking about. Our political system is ****ed.
    Why should you be annoyed that there's nothing current in the political parties that appeals to your interest? After all, consider all the voters that put the Labour Party in majority rule, hoping they would do the best for NZ. Instead, they did nothing, nor achieved anything they campaigned on. I would say that is the most disgraced outcome a political party can get. Your voters that vote for the policies you like the best, and they do NONE of it, and instead, impose policies where no one had a clue what was going on.

In the Parliamentary system, you vote for people in "hope" that they will place policies in that would align with your interests. This is very different to over in America where a change from Republican to Democrats (and vice versa) means an complete executive order to undo each party's policies.

Here's the real problem in NZ. In 10 years time everyone would have forgot what the Labour Party did and vote for them in power... time after time.

So you decide who you will vote for based on nothing more than "hope?" That is even more depressing than voting based on purely on policy.

Quote Originally Posted by SBQ View Post

In the Parliamentary system, you vote for people in "hope" that they will place policies in that would align with your interests. This is very different to over in America where a change from Republican to Democrats (and vice versa) means a complete executive order to undo each party's policies.
    Of course they will. Just as people have already forgotten National's historical failings over time.

Here's the real problem in NZ. In 10 years time everyone would have forgot what the Labour Party did and vote for them in power... time after time.
    The real problem is not people's selective memories. It is the fact that NZ has always had a two party system, which will clearly never change. Our choices as voters have always been limited. The fringe parties are nothing more than a distraction and a waste of votes for those gullible enough to vote for them. Parties like the Greens and NZF, have a small ability to disrupt the status quo, but their impact is minimal. ACT is clearly the only minor party currently with any clout, but a National/ACT coalition disturbs me greatly. I could be convinced to vote National right now, but a vote for National is a vote for that coalition.

Honestly, it puzzles me how complacent some of you are right now. I get that you want Labour gone. So do I now, but very few here seem even remotely interested in what the alternatives actually have to offer. You are settling without questioning, just to insure Labour loses.

I get this, but it pisses me off royally, that our current political situation is forcing voters to “settle” for a party they do not support or want to vote for, purely to ensure the current Government they also don’t support or want to vote for - loses.

I might yet vote for TOP, in fact they are the most likely candidate for my vote.
    Whilst I don't agree with detail of some of their policies at least they are on the same trajectory.
    They are also a party that wants to act on climate change which is a bottom line for me.

I respect your decision, but I think voting for any party that stands zero chance of winning a seat, is a wasted vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    I might yet vote for TOP, in fact they are the most likely candidate for my vote.
    Whilst I don't agree with detail of some of their policies at least they are on the same trajectory.
    They are also a party that wants to act on climate change which is a bottom line for me.

Membaa

I respect your decision, but I think voting for any party that stands zero chance of winning a seat, is a wasted vote.
    Completely agree, I have no idea why anyone would knowingly waste their vote, it’s the same as not voting at all

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    Completely agree, I have no idea why anyone would knowingly waste their vote, it’s the same as not voting at all
    Yes and no. TOP have got no show of making it, but their leader, who oozes charisma and is obviously intelligent, belongs somewhere in politics. So voters who aren't hell bent on a favourite party, may want to encourage him. I can understand why some may want to do that.

And adding 1 to the tally of a big party you don't like isn't?