sharetrader
Page 6 of 61 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

I don't know. Right now, as I have said several times already, I have a dilemma. When I figure out how to resolve it I'll be sure to let you know.

Clearly many here are having a good laugh at me, but at least I am actually putting some thought into the situation. I take the vote that women fought really hard to get, very seriously. Maybe it is different for men, who have always had the privilege of voting, so take it for granted. I do not.

Quote Originally Posted by dln View Post
    And adding 1 to the tally of a big party you don't like isn't?

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Yes and no. TOP have got no show of making it, but their leader, who oozes charisma and is obviously intelligent, belongs somewhere in politics. So voters who aren't hell bent on a favourite party, may want to encourage him. I can understand why some may want to do that.
    Even if he did get a seat in parliament, and into a coalition government it’s still a wasted vote as he would be unable to achieve a single thing.

Which major party do you think would align best with this party?

@JAK Wasn't intended to sound disparaging.
    I agree that our votes should be valued highly and I also think the current system settings diminish this for the reasons outlined by other posters.

The concept of 'wasted votes' is real, and reinforces the status quo effectively a two party, adversarial system - clearly by design.

Personally I think the 5% threshold is too high - I would be in favour of a level set to equate to 1 seat.

TOP got more votes in the last election, and is currently polling higher than Te Pati Maori.

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    Even if he did get a seat in parliament, and into a coalition government it’s still a wasted vote as he would be unable to achieve a single thing.

Which major party do you think would align best with this party?
    They have no intention of joining a coalition.

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    I respect your decision, but I think voting for any party that stands zero chance of winning a seat, is a wasted vote.
    I disagree. The only vote that is wasted is one that isn't cast. And a vote for a party if enough undecideds make that decision potentially could make a difference I.e they survive as a party and build momentum over the next three years.

Quote Originally Posted by dln View Post
    They have no intention of joining a coalition.
    Maybe, maybe not but they could sit on the cross benches and guarantee supply.

The number is of their candidates with a doctorate is very impressive.

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    Maybe, maybe not but they could sit on the cross benches and guarantee supply.

The number is of their candidates with a doctorate is very impressive.
    PhD’s don’t impress me, like career politicians either, it’s about real world experience and ability to get things done, we’ve seen six years of that lacking and the disasters it created

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    PhD’s don’t impress me, like career politicians either, it’s about real world experience and ability to get things done, we’ve seen six years of that lacking and the disasters it created
    That says more about you & quite a few others on here, than it does the top 1-2% of intelligence in the population.

I'm not saying experience doesn't count and as TOP aren't in Government they are all in the real world. I.e not in politics.

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    I respect your decision, but I think voting for any party that stands zero chance of winning a seat, is a wasted vote.
    "you must be the change you wish to see in the world" Ask Mahatma it worked for him eventually. Other than running for parliament voting TOP might be your best bet.

Ironic that someone called Baa Baa is encouraging us to follow the herd or should I say flock. TOP a potentially wasted vote no doubt but what are the options. National or Labour will lead the next govt and they represent more of the same no matter who gets in so does it matter that much. Just more annoying tinkering to placate the voters from those two parties.

P.s. the internet tells me this epic quote was not actually what Ghandi said I will leave it there anyway.
    Last edited by Aaron; 21-08-2023 at 08:55 AM. Reason: internet true or false

If I actually agreed with/supported any of TOP's policies/philosophies/principles, I would give them my vote. But I do not.

At this stage, I will probably end up voting National. I have zero support for ACT, and I am concerned about a National/ACT coalition - especially if ACT polls really well. If we must be stuck with a National/ACT government, which we obviously will be, I would prefer ACT's impact to be as minimal as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    "you must be the change you wish to see in the world" Ask Mahatma it worked for him eventually. Other than running for parliament voting TOP might be your best bet.

Ironic that someone called Baa Baa is encouraging us to follow the herd or should I say flock. TOP a potentially wasted vote no doubt but what are the options. National or Labour will lead the next govt and they represent more of the same no matter who gets in so does it matter that much. Just more annoying tinkering to placate the voters from those two parties.

P.s. the internet tells me this epic quote was not actually what Ghandi said I will leave it there anyway.