sharetrader

View Poll Results: Which party to you intend to give your PARTY vote to?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • National

8 19.51%
  • Labour

2 4.88%
  • ACT

18 43.90%
  • The Greens

0 0%
  • Te Pāti Māori

1 2.44%
  • NZF

5 12.20%

6 14.63%
  • Another party

0 0%
  • Still undecided

0 0%
  • Not voting

1 2.44%
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast

If I had to summarise the problems in NZ and the world in one short sentence the quote below by Fan O’Sullivan says it for me.

Fran O’Sullivan 22:56 I think we're in a phase where people are past egalitarian values they actually want to get ahead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYqqfR2tg8I Post-1News Debate Analysis Show

We are in a dog eat dog world, a winner takes all world. Who cares about fairness, justice equality, I just want to maintain my privilege and entitlements and continue to get ahead. I will climb over others in the race to the top. And if someone else bears that cost, that is too bad. Call it selfish and greedy. It is all about me. I want to get ahead and if that is at someone else’s expense that is tough!

Quote Originally Posted by moka View Post
    If I had to summarise the problems in NZ and the world in one short sentence the quote below by Fan O’Sullivan says it for me.

Fran O’Sullivan 22:56 I think we're in a phase where people are past egalitarian values they actually want to get ahead.

We are in a dog eat dog world, a winner takes all world. Who cares about fairness, justice equality, I just want to maintain my privilege and entitlements and continue to get ahead. I will climb over others in the race to the top. And if someone else bears that cost, that is too bad. Call it selfish and greedy. It is all about me. I want to get ahead and if that is at someone else’s expense that is tough!
    Yup - sounds like the Labour Party, Greens and Maori Party!

Thank you for posting.

Guru

Which member of the Maori elite said that, if you don't mind me asking?

Dilettante

You’re right but hold your breath, a change is coming in a couple of weeks

Committed my ST vote to the actual ballot today. Not long to go now!

Permanent Newbie

Not surprising this sort of statement comes from a boomer. I think it is well known that the generation before the boomers paid high taxes and invested in the nation. State housing, tertiary education, roads etc etc. they actually went through hard times and came back from a war wanting to invest in the future of the country, made sacrifices for the benefit of future generations.

Once the boomers had their houses I have not got the figures but I imagine that is about the time govt investment in state houses slowed down, drop taxes and investment in infrastructure, user pays. Tertiary education became unaffordable after the last boomer graduated. The only govt. largesse we now see is 51% of the welfare spend on national superannuation with no asset or means testing for this, but the following generations are saving for their retirement through kiwisaver and they are paying for the boomer retirement through their taxes. There is talk of raising the retirement age sometime after the last boomer retires.

Fran with that statement just might be the perfect example of why NZ sucks and young people are leaving to go to Aussie in droves where they have better opportunities and better govt policy. Bernard Hickey gets it, Fran like many of her generation is just a selfish self-centred piece of s*it based on that statement and her age.

https://thedailyblog.co.nz/2022/10/2...usinesses-cry/

https://thespinoff.co.nz/politics/13...the-story-ends

https://thespinoff.co.nz/politics/24...-to-a-land-tax
    Last edited by Aaron; 07-10-2023 at 11:44 AM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Not surprising this sort of statement comes from a boomer. I think it is well known that the generation before the boomers paid high taxes and invested in the nation. State housing, tertiary education, roads etc etc. they actually went through hard times and came back from a war wanting to invest in the future of the country, made sacrifices for the benefit of future generations.

Once the boomers had their houses I have not got the figures but I imagine that is about the time govt investment in state houses slowed down, drop taxes and investment in infrastructure, user pays. Tertiary education became unaffordable after the last boomer graduated. The only govt. largesse we now see is 51% of the welfare spend on national superannuation with no asset or means testing for this, but the following generations are saving for their retirement through kiwisaver and they are paying for the boomer retirement through their taxes. There is talk of raising the retirement age sometime after the last boomer retires.

Fran with that statement just might be the perfect example of why NZ sucks and young people are leaving to go to Aussie in droves where they have better opportunities and better govt policy. Bernard Hickey gets it, Fran like many of her generation is just a selfish self-centred piece of s*it based on that statement and her age.

https://thedailyblog.co.nz/2022/10/2...usinesses-cry/

https://thespinoff.co.nz/politics/13...the-story-ends

https://thespinoff.co.nz/politics/24...-to-a-land-tax
    Get over yourself. No ones interested in your repetitive, ill informed swipes at a group of people you have decided are cause of your woes. Get of off your butt and make a life for yourself. You will be blaming colonisation next for you inadequacies. Anything you can grab on.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    Get over yourself. No ones interested in your repetitive, ill informed swipes at a group of people you have decided are cause of your woes. Get of off your butt and make a life for yourself. You will be blaming colonisation next for you inadequacies. Anything you can grab on.
    Those under 40 really are the whinge generation. Want everything served to them on a platter and look to government to fix their perceived woes, rather than get off their butts and do something about it.

Hey now, I certainly don’t fall into that group and never did. There’s plenty of us that have and do work hard, contribute and sacrifice.

I recognise we may not be the majority, but we exist.

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    Sorry about that, an unnecessarily nasty post. I was in a bad mood that day and wanted to lash out at someone.

Not sure if it is totally ill informed though, I am not smart or informed enough to have original ideas so they tend to come from what I read from other people. What Bernard Hickey was saying seemed to ring true to me.

You do not like the post fair enough but are you disputing anything in it? I will admit Fran is probably not a piece of s*it as suggested, But the other things are true although the things put forward are only the negative ones to back my argument.

We might be on a similar path as the US in this regard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXAEw8psMuQ

I should not be attacking anyone but people smarter than me have highlighted the inequities of our current policies. I am not sure why they are not being discussed or changed, I assume because the people who are benefiting do not want to see any change and they vote and the politicians need to pander to them to get into or stay in power.

Don't worry about me though, I am doing OK. Working hard and being productive unless I am posting on here.