sharetrader

View Poll Results: Which party to you intend to give your PARTY vote to?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • National

8 19.51%
  • Labour

2 4.88%
  • ACT

18 43.90%
  • The Greens

0 0%
  • Te Pāti Māori

1 2.44%
  • NZF

5 12.20%

6 14.63%
  • Another party

0 0%
  • Still undecided

0 0%
  • Not voting

1 2.44%
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Iceman I would have you as less radical probably placing right on National maybe a bit further lower so possibly NZF. But then again a tough fisherman could be blue collar left leaning but fisheries traditionally do not have strong unions so I would say just to the right of midway and halfway between midway and bottom on the social side.

I would be interested to know if Logen is to the right and below ACT on the grid. Based on his posts he comes across as reasonably extreme. It could be good confirmation on the accuracy of the poll.
    Well I did the Vote Compass to go through the motions, and there were silly questions like "do you think tax cuts are the best way to deal with a cost of living crisis?"

If you answer 'NO' then the Vote Compass will drag you to the Left.
    But you may be answering 'NO' because you would absolutely love a tax cut, but think that a cost of living crisis is best addressed by a suite of measures delivered not just by the government, but by the Reserve Bank as well. Whoever designed the 'Vote Compass' questions either has an ulterior motive behind the framing of them, or lacks the ability to think critically.

The questions are stupid in other words, extremely simple & there are hardly any of them. Certainly not enough to define a persons political identity.

I'm just absolutely gob-smacked that there are people out there who are -
    1/ Prepared to put all their faith in something called 'Vote Compass' without knowing anything about it, without knowing who is behind it, who designed it, what their actual motivations are, whether the questions served up are capable of confirming a persons beliefs.....it is just so vague yet people will trust in it without a second thought.
    2/ I don't need 'Vote Compass' to tell me what I believe in and what I stand for. I have known my political standpoint and intrinsic beliefs for decades. These beliefs are one of the pillars of our identity. The fact that people go to 'Vote Compass' to find out about themselves.....mind boggling. It is a joke, a gimmick.
    Last edited by Logen Ninefingers; 30-09-2023 at 02:49 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Logen Ninefingers View Post
    If you answer 'NO' then the Vote Compass will drag you to the Left.
    But you may be answering 'NO' because you would absolutely love a tax cut, but think that a cost of living crisis is best addressed by a suite of measures delivered not just by the government, but by the Reserve Bank as well. Whoever designed the 'Vote Compass' questions either has an ulterior motive behind the framing of them, or lacks the ability to think critically.
    They're catering to the average person in the street, not us intellectual heavyweights.

Guru

Take this 'Vote Compass' question:

'How many immigrants should New Zealand admit?'

If a person answers 'many fewer', is that because they are a far right racist who loathes dark skinned people, or because the are a left wing leaning person who is desperately worried about our creaking infrastructure and wants a temporary pause while the government spends $100 billion fixing it up?

So can anyone tell me how 'Vote Compass' can make the correct determination from such a generic question and such a generic answer?

Guru

'Environmental regulations should be stricter, even if it means consumers pay higher prices.'

If I answer 'strongly disagree', is that because I am an right wing ultra-capitalist who doesn't give a toss about the environment, or because I am a far-left Marxist who is strongly opposed to 'long suffering' consumers paying higher prices when I think industry should bear all the costs?

Again, how can 'Vote Compass' possibly make the determination from such a generic question and such a generic answer?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Panda-NZ- View Post
    They're catering to the average person in the street, not us intellectual heavyweights.
    lol.............. Panda-NZ, not only have you been mainly polite and reasonable lately, you make the occasional joke too. I'm really very concerned about you; did you ever get to the hospital after that head-knock you experienced?

Guru

"Martha, duh...I thought I was right wing but I done gone and done this here 'Vote Compass', and it turns out I'm actually pretty far left. Jingo's, I was gonna vote National but I guess that now I'll pretty much have to vote Labour."

"That's amazing George dear, I better do it too to find out what I believe in and who I am. I've always assumed I'm an environmentalist but perhaps I'm a predatory capitalist..."

Banned

Re Vote Compass, I've said it before and I'll say it again: without it being open source there is no way to tell if it has any bias, either mistaken or deliberate.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Azz View Post
    Re Vote Compass, I've said it before and I'll say it again: without it being open source there is no way to tell if it has any bias, either mistaken or deliberate.
    Look, the questions are so stupid and the answers are so open to interpretation that it renders the whole thing pointless. The fact that people take it seriously and OneNews market it as a way to help you determine who you should vote for just confirms that we are on the cusp of being an Idiocracy, if we are not there already. People these days have zero ability to think critically, and I blame Television and mobile phones, the media, social media, and brain damage from environmental pollution, drug and alcohol use, poor diet, and head knocks from playing sport.

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Logen Ninefingers View Post

'Environmental regulations should be stricter, even if it means consumers pay higher prices.'

If I answer 'strongly disagree', is that because I am an right wing ultra-capitalist who doesn't give a toss about the environment, or because I am a far-left Marxist who is strongly opposed to 'long suffering' consumers paying higher prices when I think industry should bear all the costs?

Again, how can 'Vote Compass' possibly make the determination from such a generic question and such a generic answer?
    Interesting that you don't share your result. Was I right that you are an extremist or are you embarrassed because you are more aligned with Labour?

I wouldn't take the results too seriously just interested out of curiosity. I was more wondering if we all clustered around the centre or if it is only me.

I thought we might find Balance and Panda NZ and BlackPeter and AZZ not that far from each other at the end of the day. I wouldn't over analyse it though.

For example I think the strongest green voter bases are in the wealthiest electorates so you can be concerned about the environment and be rich. Probably the wealthy liberals telling us to stop oil and farming as they won't be the ones suffering from rising prices at the end of the day.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Interesting that you don't share your result. Was I right that you are an extremist or are you embarrassed because you are more aligned with Labour?

I wouldn't take the results too seriously just interested out of curiosity. I was more wondering if we all clustered around the centre or if it is only me.

I thought we might find Balance and Panda NZ and BlackPeter and AZZ not that far from each other at the end of the day. I wouldn't over analyse it though.

For example I think the strongest green voter bases are in the wealthiest electorates so you can be concerned about the environment and be rich. Probably the wealthy liberals telling us to stop oil and farming as they won't be the ones suffering from rising prices at the end of the day.
    My result is irrelevant, and I explained why. There is no way I could possibly be 'embarrassed' by the 'result', as the result is rendered meaningless by the poorly designed questions.

Let me be clear: I do not place any store in 'Vote Compass', it is a cheap parlour trick, a stupid gimmick.