sharetrader

View Poll Results: Which party will get your PARTY vote next Saturday?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • National

11 22.00%
  • Labour

2 4.00%
  • ACT

18 36.00%
  • The Greens

0 0%
  • Te Pāti Māori

1 2.00%
  • NZF

6 12.00%

9 18.00%
  • Another party

1 2.00%
  • Undecided

1 2.00%
  • Not voting

1 2.00%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    I was just trying to provide some facts to answer your question. Sorry, if you don't like them .

Not sure as well I understand the tension in your post- While nobody knows whether it will work out for TOP this time to get into parliament - what are you afraid of if it works out for them?

TOP is a democratic and liberal party. No populists, no conspiracy theories, no ideological bias - and Raf Manji comes across as problem solver with common sense. No matter which camp you would like to see in government - I am sure he would improve the lot - or alternatively he would provide an outstanding opposition.

That's what matters - put good people into parliament, isn't it?

And of course - it might work out this time or it might not, but I am sure they will do this time much better than the last time (and it is not just my vote they gained since the last election). I am believing nothing - I am just saying that they do have a realistic chance. That's all.

What's wrong with that?
    That's a bit weird from you BP. First of all I didn't ask a question in the post you refer to and wanted to answer for me !! Second, there's no tension in my post at all and I am not afraid of anything to do with TOP. I just don't agree with you regarding TOP.
    As you say, "what's wrong with that" ?

National and TOP neck and neck - now that's funny
    Last edited by justakiwi; 10-10-2023 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    That's a bit weird from you BP. First of all I didn't ask a question in the post you refer to and wanted to answer for me !! Second, there's no tension in my post at all and I am not afraid of anything to do with TOP. I just don't agree with you regarding TOP.
    As you say, "what's wrong with that" ?
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    But probably not many of the students at Canterbury Uni are registered to vote in the Ilam electorate.
    Fair enough - you made a statement of probability (see above) - which was wrong, and I choose to provide some facts which helped to correct this statement

... and the tension I talked about - ok - this is reading between the lines and might be wrong. All good.

And yes - nothing wrong if people don't agree with my views on TOP, this is democracy . Remember - in any standard population are roughly 1/3rds right, 1/3rds left and 1/3rds liberal. Actually - most of that is already in our genes. There is absolutely nothing wrong if everybody gets their fair representation in parliament, actually - this is the way it should be! It only gets concerning if some groups try to suppress the representation of the other groups.
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 10-10-2023 at 04:01 PM.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Election unlikely to end New Zealanders' restlessness

https://asia.nikkei.com/Opinion/Election-unlikely-to-end-New-Zealanders-restlessness

"Both sides predict the other will have trouble piecing together a coalition to govern. Especially if New Zealand First and its mercurial leader, Winston Peters, have roles, uncertainty may prevail as parties jostle for places in the next government.
    It is worth noting that uncertainty almost entirely concerns domestic economic, environmental and social policies. Differences between the main blocs on foreign policy and alliance matters are minimal; much the same can be said for immigration and trade policy.

New Zealand is facing big issues in terms of social, environmental and economic equity, which a change of government would escalate. These have largely been set aside as the main parties court centrist voters, as if the main change that counts will be that within Parliament. Whoever gets elected will quickly find out that is the easy part."

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by moka View Post
    Election unlikely to end New Zealanders' restlessness

https://asia.nikkei.com/Opinion/Election-unlikely-to-end-New-Zealanders-restlessness

"Both sides predict the other will have trouble piecing together a coalition to govern. Especially if New Zealand First and its mercurial leader, Winston Peters, have roles, uncertainty may prevail as parties jostle for places in the next government.
    It is worth noting that uncertainty almost entirely concerns domestic economic, environmental and social policies. Differences between the main blocs on foreign policy and alliance matters are minimal; much the same can be said for immigration and trade policy.

New Zealand is facing big issues in terms of social, environmental and economic equity, which a change of government would escalate. These have largely been set aside as the main parties court centrist voters, as if the main change that counts will be that within Parliament. Whoever gets elected will quickly find out that is the easy part."

Looks like the cat's out of the bag .. when will they wake up to another who ran away stalking around US cities spinning fuzzies ?

Guru

It will be somewhat interesting to see how much Freedoms NZ get on election day (Brian Tamaki's party).

Advanced Member

Thought this might be interesting comparison in view of latest Newshub-Reid poll,

Final 2020 Election result, share of vote,

Labour. 50%
    National 25.6%
    Greens. 7.9%
    ACT. 7.6%
    Māori 1.2%
    NZF. 2.6%
    TOP. 1.5%
    Last edited by Blue Skies; 12-10-2023 at 08:57 AM.

Next election should include a question do you want to change the parliamentary term to four years.

Maybe. I also really want to see the 5% threshold reduced to 3%.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick11 View Post
    Next election should include a question do you want to change the parliamentary term to four years.

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    Maybe. I also really want to see the 5% threshold reduced to 3%.
    And have not only the tail but the fleas on the tail wagging the dog as well?

No, thank you!