sharetrader
Page 263 of 293 FirstFirst ... 163213253259260261262263264265266267273 ... LastLast
Results 2,621 to 2,630 of 2924
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I always thought it was funny that labour won the first time without changing any policy but just changed the leader who had a nice smile and a catchy slogan. Not sure what that says about the NZ voter.
    No, that’s not quite right.

Though Cindy did provide the party with a boost after Cunliffe and Little ran the party into the ground, at the general election Labour still only managed 36.9% party vote.

National (under Bill English) got 44.4%. A very solid result in MMP.

But because Winnie was p1ssed off with National due to someone leaking his pension overpayment details, he did not form a coalition with the largest party (even though NZF and their voter based are much more aligned with National).

Cindy even rang Bill on election night to congratulate him as it seemed obvious that National would form the next govt.

So Cindy was only put into power because Winnie had the zig with the nats.

In the first term NZF was somewhat of a handbrake on labour. They certainly stopped their nuttier polices.

Labour was on track to be a one term govt -
    then Covid hit and people decided kind, caring Cindy was just what we needed more of. So she won an absolute majority. No NZF handbrake. And the rest is history.

I actually blame Winston for the mess we are in.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post

Though Cindy did provide the party with a boost after Cunliffe and Little ran the party into the ground, at the general election Labour still only managed 36.9% party vote.

National (under Bill English) got 44.4%. A very solid result in MMP.

But because Winnie was p1ssed off with National due to someone leaking his pension overpayment details, he did not form a coalition with the largest party (even though NZF and their voter based are much more aligned with National).

Cindy even rang Bill on election night to congratulate him as it seemed obvious that National would form the next govt.

So Cindy was only put into power because Winnie had the zig with the nats.

In the first term NZF was somewhat of a handbrake on labour. They certainly stopped their nuttier polices.

Labour was on track to be a one term govt -
    then Covid hit and people decided kind, caring Cindy was just what we needed more of. So she won an absolute majority. No NZF handbrake. And the rest is history.

I actually blame Winston for the mess we are in.
    Well summarised - good work.

Permanent Newbie

OK Labour didn't win the election unless you count governing the nation as a win, but their popularity surged from 26% to a peak of 44% settling to 39.6% on election night just by having Jacinda take over as leader. What policies did labour change or introduce to cause this surge in popularity?
    Last edited by Aaron; 18-04-2024 at 02:07 PM.

Guru

OK Labour didn't win the election unless you count governing the nation as a win, but their popularity surged from 26% to a peak of 44% settling to 39.6% on election night just by having Jacinda take over as leader. What policies did labour change or introduce to cause this surge in popularity?
    My point is that labour won by accident.

Your note about “what does that say about the NZ voter?” …as in the majority of nzers wanted a labour govt even though they were still a shambles, with no feasible and costed policies.

The sentiment on election day was towards a national led govt. But Winnie got the zig.

True that Jacindamania did grip many people. It felt good to have someone say we should be kind, and empathetic towards each other (not that she was herself lol).

And she was going to end child hunger too, she assured us earnestly.

The polls did fluctuate with people being in love with Cindy on the day of certain polls.

But when the cold hard reality of casting a vote came about, a lot more people threw their lot in with Boring Bill.

And that is all that matters at the end of the day (not what the polls said leading up).
    Last edited by mistaTea; 18-04-2024 at 02:33 PM.

Guru

Build a tunnel under Wellington - what a great idea (not).
    Will they continue with the 2nd (third?) tunnel through Mt Victoria?
    How will they pay for it?
    Will any of this 'Get Wellington Moving'?
    2024-04-18 14_42_10-Window.png

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    I hope the engineering is sound. We don’t want a Mt Victoria riddled with tunnels slipping into the harbour during an earthquake. Maybe the tunnels will be dug out by the laid off Civil servants.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 18-04-2024 at 02:56 PM.

Permanent Newbie

My point is that labour won by accident.

Your note about “what does that say about the NZ voter?” …as in the majority of nzers wanted a labour govt even though they were still a shambles, with no feasible and costed policies.
    My point which you completely missed was that a decent chunk of the voting public couldn't give a rats ar*se about policy (which is what should matter imo) and will vote for a smiley face. Labour went from 26% to 44% with no change in policies that I remember, which imo was crazy.

I recall John Key used to put on his smiley face when in public and he was much loved.

You are very defensive or argumentative to have so completely got the wrong end of the stick but FP was agreeing with you so maybe it was me who was not clear.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    I hope the engineering is sound. We don’t want a Mt Victoria riddled with tunnels slipping into the harbour during an earthquake. Maybe the tunnels will be dug out by the laid off Civil servants.
    That would not be a bad idea. Give them a shovel and a pick and make them do an honest day's work for their dole money.

Guru

… so maybe it was me who was not clear.
    You say true, I say thank ya.

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    How quick the woke leftist losers (who kept quiet about the wasted $228m spent on Auckland's Light Rail and $76m on Auckland's bike bridge to nowhere) are to shoot down any idea (utilising NZTA's legion of new hires by Labour in the last 6 years) to investigate options for better transport. So desperate are they (like dobby41) to cover up the total mess made by their hero Clueless Cindy of NZ that they cannot see the tunnel for the earth anymore!

https://www.thepost.co.nz/nz-news/35...on-tunnel-idea

Transport expert Greg Pollock, who is the former head of Metlink and Transdev, said the long tunnel seemed like a “great idea” and he was pleased to see the Government looking into it.

Diverting the traffic around the edge of the city would make it a nicer place to live without congestion. “We get our city back, hats off to the Government,” Pollock said.