sharetrader
Page 252 of 389 FirstFirst ... 152202242248249250251252253254255256262302352 ... LastLast
Results 2,511 to 2,520 of 3881
  1. #2511
    Guru
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    All the better to drive Aotearoa to 2nd world status faster.

    And all the better to drive more young, skilled, experienced and hardworking NZers to Australia.

    Tremain is an absolute national treasure. Note "hope" is beyond hope being the only wreck upside down. Genius.

  2. #2512
    Legend Balance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    22,285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    The coalition need hard working kiwis to stay and enable their policies to bear fruit. Give them a chance to make changes!
    I do not see anything inspirational, uplifting and bold from this coalition government to lift NZ from the deep malaise that the country has sunk into. Where is the vision for New Zealand?

    Heck, they have already started to renege on some of their stated election promises and policies like changing government department & agency names back to their proper functional names! So simple yet seemingly so hard - so just imagine them trying to change the divisive racial, social and economic settings & policies which bedevil NZ as a country. Not a show in hell imo.

    The young, skilled and experienced cannot afford to hang around in a country which breeds parasites, beneficiaries and losers at their expense - so let's be grateful that they can go to where they are welcomed and can be successful, flourish and have a good life.

    Meanwhile, just observe the excuses coming out of the Reserve Bank for its pivotal role in screwing up the NZ economy royally - the chief architect Adrian Orr is still waxing lyrical about what a great job he did! He should be gone by now and NZ may yet have a chance before the self-induced recession wrecks the NZ economy even more than necessary to get inflation down.

    What kind of a buffoon drove interest rates well below what was required and now, well above what is required? The chart below shows a drunk can drive a car better than Adrian Orr can drive monetary policy settings!

    Last edited by Balance; 12-04-2024 at 07:37 PM.

  3. #2513
    Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    5,174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    If I own a property, I should have an avenue available to stop renting my property without having to invent a reason.
    Unlike shares in a company or a term deposit, your rental property is someone else’s home. They are all your property.

    In fact it is more difficult to cancel a term deposit, any change to which is always subject to the bank’s approval, than it will be for a landlord to evict “without cause” a tenant. Go figure!

    Perhaps you expect your real estate property to come with the old feudal rights?
    Last edited by Bjauck; 12-04-2024 at 08:51 PM.

  4. #2514
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    4,321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Unlike shares in a company or a term deposit, your rental property is someone else’s home.
    So if I own a property that I decide to rent out…I should never be able to change my mind and stop renting it?

  5. #2515
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    4,321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Unlike shares in a company or a term deposit, your rental property is someone else’s home. They are all your property.

    In fact it is more difficult to cancel a term deposit, any change to which is always subject to the bank’s approval, than it will be for a landlord to evict “without cause” a tenant. Go figure!

    Perhaps you expect your real estate property to come with the old feudal rights?
    So if 90 days is not enough, what should it be?

    I mean, surely the Landlord must be able to stop renting their property to someone if they so choose without having to make up an excuse?

    If three months is not enough notice, then how much? Six months? A year? Ten years?

    Or once someone decides to rent out their property, is it your view that they should never be allowed to stop renting it?

  6. #2516
    Dilettante
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Down & out
    Posts
    5,494

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    I have no experience yet as either a landlord or tenant, apart from renting from a family member for six months. What will the situation be if a good tenant has done everything they are contracted to do, but the Landlord does not like hearing that the tenant has been campaigning for the Green Party, for example. Will the landlord be able to evict under a “no cause” eviction, and immediately re-tenant the property to new tenants? Could the no cause eviction be used to get the “right sort” of tenant, racially, sexual orientation, or political affiliation?

    As more families have gradually become priced out of home ownership, It does appear that establishing a stable home as a renter could become more difficult for some under no cause evictions. As unstable homes, and disconnection from the community may contribute to increased criminal activity, I hope the reform does not lead to further problems later on.

    Did “no cause” terminations lead to increased housing supply in the past?
    I have been a small landlord for 20 years and have had my fair share of terrible tenants.
    But now we have long term tenants in our 2 properties that have been our tenants for many years and want to stay “forever”, one of them we have moved between properties (a huge upgrade for her). We have a great and trusty relationship.
    I have no idea where they stand politically and couldn’t care less. I think your example of a Green’s voter is so far fetched that it is irrelevant.

    Regarding your question about whether no cause evictions being allowed will increase rental housing supply, I can categorically say yes. If my current long term tenants left, I would sell my rentals under the current law. With the proposed law, I would consider looking for another tenant.

    I think I am pretty much like most landlords, caring for our tenants, wanting them to be happy and stay for years

  7. #2517
    Legend Balance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    22,285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    I do not see anything inspirational, uplifting and bold from this coalition government to lift NZ from the deep malaise that the country has sunk into. Where is the vision for New Zealand?

    Heck, they have already started to renege on some of their stated election promises and policies like changing government department & agency names back to their proper functional names! So simple yet seemingly so hard - so just imagine them trying to change the divisive racial, social and economic settings & policies which bedevil NZ as a country. Not a show in hell imo.

    The young, skilled and experienced cannot afford to hang around in a country which breeds parasites, beneficiaries and losers at their expense - so let's be grateful that they can go to where they are welcomed and can be successful, flourish and have a good life.

    [/IMG]

    An excellent example of how FXXKED UP the Aotearoa social welfare system, especially in the last 6 years, has been breeding parasites, beneficiaries and losers - people who not only choose welfare as a lifestyle choice but feel entitled to pick and choose what welfare they receive.

    And we have the woke leftist media playing up the soap story without an iota of inquiry of how anyone should be allowed to become a welfare blood-sucking parasite/beneficiary/loser in the first place.

    Read on :

    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/northern-...IYUF2BYYKYMDM/

    So this 'poor wretched woman' has 8 children and 5 of them, aged 4 to 16 live with her since since 2016 when she moved into the Kainga Ora (KO) 3 bedrooms apartment.

    Point #1 : She has been in the KO unit for 8 years and in that time, she has produced at least another 3 children (to how many fathers?) - while on full social welfare entitlements. No presumption required here.
    What kind of mother or human being does that - bring ever more children on welfare into the world?


    She complains that upon moving into the unit, they 'almost immediately they claimed to have started experiencing antisocial and threatening behaviour from a Kāinga Ora neighbour'. So her children are traumatized.

    Point #2 : So KO did nothing for years despite numerous complaints about said abusive & anti-social tenant. What kind of landlord is KO then?
    And what kind of mother produces another 3 children (at least) with that kind of alleged behaviour from the abusive gang neighbour?

    The mother of 8 children now does not want to move away from the unit "as the alternative house being offered is not suitable for her five children, who are highly traumatised from an abusive ex-neighbour. But the state landlord says the mother and her children need to move out of their apartment so it can be upgraded to meet healthy homes standards. Furthermore, have been offered a number of alternative homes but all have been declined."

    Point #3 : In Aotearoa today, beggars can be choosers. Especially when a mother can produce 8 children (to how many fathers?) with full expectations that the state & taxpayers would and must take care of all their needs.


    Last edited by Balance; 13-04-2024 at 09:40 AM.

  8. #2518
    Legend Balance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    22,285

    Default

    And Paula Bennett, ex Minister, was savagely attacked by the woke leftists and the Labour Party when she attempted to change the welfare settings pertaining to provision of state housing :



    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/kainga...IYUVQOEZIEMOA/

    Kāinga Ora tenants who don’t deserve state homes should be evicted – Paula Bennett

    It is all about your rights instead of acknowledging that you also have responsibilities.

    It may be a small percentage of Kāinga Ora tenants that are making other people’s lives hell but those that are should be dealt with swiftly and in the best interest of others.

    It is obvious that they should be evicted for the safety of neighbours but they should also be evicted because they don’t respect the property and there are plenty of others who will.

    Last edited by Balance; 13-04-2024 at 09:44 AM.

  9. #2519
    Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    5,174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    So if I own a property that I decide to rent out…I should never be able to change my mind and stop renting it?
    It is somebody’s home. You can sell it. You can move into it yourself. Why would you want to own an empty rental property? It is the no cause eviction we are discussing.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 13-04-2024 at 11:31 AM.

  10. #2520
    Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    5,174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I have been a small landlord for 20 years and have had my fair share of terrible tenants.
    But now we have long term tenants in our 2 properties that have been our tenants for many years and want to stay “forever”, one of them we have moved between properties (a huge upgrade for her). We have a great and trusty relationship.
    I have no idea where they stand politically and couldn’t care less. I think your example of a Green’s voter is so far fetched that it is irrelevant.

    Regarding your question about whether no cause evictions being allowed will increase rental housing supply, I can categorically say yes. If my current long term tenants left, I would sell my rentals under the current law. With the proposed law, I would consider looking for another tenant.

    I think I am pretty much like most landlords, caring for our tenants, wanting them to be happy and stay for years
    It would be great if all landlords were like you. However it is also great if there would be no possibility of landlords using no cause evictions to select tenants on a discriminatory personal basis.

    My question was slightly different. Would housing supply be increased as a result? Or, would the increased demand for rental properties be at the expense of pricing out owner occupiers, in our perennially constrained supply of new housing for our increasing population..

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •