sharetrader
    Advanced Member

Default Australian dollar cheques

Just received a cheque in aussie dollars, apparently had a few Invocare shares.
    Problem is, ASB and other banks seem to have stopped accepting Cheques in Aussie dollars.

A bit gauling, considering it sent from commomwealth bank which owns ASB.

Any ideas? It only a few hundred dollars, but don't want to just throw it away

percy

Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    Just received a cheque in aussie dollars, apparently had a few Invocare shares.
    Problem is, ASB and other banks seem to have stopped accepting Cheques in Aussie dollars.

A bit gauling, considering it sent from commomwealth bank which owns ASB.

Any ideas? It only a few hundred dollars, but don't want to just throw it away
    Craigs are accepting Aussie cheques until March.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Craigs are accepting Aussie cheques until March.
    So will I.

Guru

In the other anglophone countries The UK, Ireland, USA, Canada, and Australia still have the option of using cheques. The UK had planned to phase them out but then reversed them. The US also has no plans. Australia plans to phase them out by 2030. At least the big Aussie banks in NZ can make a greater profit by not offering NZers another option for making payments. They could have coordinated with Australia given the closeness of relationships.

Have you guys looked at wise.com as a place to manage your dividends as cheques get harder to deal with?
    you can basically have many international bank accounts in one place with wise.

You can set up a bank account in a choice of common currencies. Set up your computer share account to pay the divs straight into the wise account. No currency conversion takes place…just a small transfer fee. For example today I converted 10k nzd to AUD on wise and transferred it to my Jarden AUD account…cost was 0.57 cents AUD.

I have shares in aus and uk and find wise very easy and cost effective and all easy to do via internet

heres an overview how it works from money hub web site
    https://www.moneyhub.co.nz/wise-review.html