sharetrader
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Valuegrowth View Post
    One thing is for sure. Cannot expect major drop in interest rates in 2024 as well. Still it will be high.

https://nz.finance.yahoo.com/news/ba...232917707.html
    OCR in NZ is way higher than the RBA cash rate V-G . We have done our tightening cycle . The market
    wants to take rates lower here , just the RBNZ handbrake . Banks making massive profits and record margins on mortgages currently . IMO , we will see cuts to the OCR in 2024 .

Most mortgages in Australia are floating so the impact of higher rates was felt far more quickly in Oz than here.
    I agree re lower rates though, I wouldn't be surprised to see the RBNZ start talking about lowering rates in mid next year, so maybe cutting in the 3rd quarter.

By then Labour's wage increases should have mostly filtered through the data & virtually everyone will be on the higher rates and the drag on the economy will have increased.
    Last edited by Daytr; 09-12-2023 at 10:23 PM.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Valuegrowth View Post
    One thing is for sure. Cannot expect major drop in interest rates in 2024 as well. Still it will be high.

https://nz.finance.yahoo.com/news/ba...232917707.html
    US 10-year already dropped from almost 5% back down to 4.1%. Nz banks get chunk of their funding from international market, so wouldn’t surprise me to see NZ mortgage interest rates to start drifting back down by a noticeable amount over the next few months.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny Ruth View Post
    Hi all. My latest column published on my Substack, Just the Business, looks at whether we should believe the Reserve Bank that interest rates may have to rise again next year and that the first rate cut won't be before mid-2025. The headline gives the game away: RBNZ wants us to believe the unbelievable.
    You can read it here:
    https://justthebusinessjennyruth.sub...e-unbelievable
    good column, covers the situation nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by stoploss View Post
    OCR in NZ is way higher than the RBA cash rate V-G . We have done our tightening cycle . The market
    wants to take rates lower here , just the RBNZ handbrake . Banks making massive profits and record margins on mortgages currently . IMO , we will see cuts to the OCR in 2024 .
    Thanks, Stoploss for the explanation.

According to my analysis, I expected interest rates pause during the 2nd half of 2023 followed by beginning of rates cut towards end of 2024. Once Fed begin to cut rates other Central banks will follow suit. I have split my mortgage into 2. One is expiring in September 2024. Hopefully, I may get better rates. First time I fixed one mortgage for 2 years and other one for 4 years during last 3 years. I always went for less than one year. From next year onwards I will fix my mortgage for a very short period. If banks give better rates for floating, I will go for it. Then I will have a flexibility to fix my mortgage according to the trend. I will monitor interest rates trend during first 6 months of next year to get better idea on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by LaserEyeKiwi View Post
    US 10-year already dropped from almost 5% back down to 4.1%. Nz banks get chunk of their funding from international market, so wouldn’t surprise me to see NZ mortgage interest rates to start drifting back down by a noticeable amount over the next few months.
    Thanks LaserEyeKiwi for the Explanation. Other Central banks are waiting for inflation to cool down and next action of Fed. Time to time there will be shake ups in global markets. I heard this time highly risky instruments like interest swaps won't destabilise corporate world. My main concern is high level of global debt. As asset prices have inflated, we cannot buy them without debts. I am working hard to get out of mortgage trap to have some sort of comfortable retirement life.
    Last edited by Valuegrowth; 10-12-2023 at 08:25 AM.

https://nz.finance.yahoo.com/news/ja...073648702.html

"The 10-year JGB yield climbed as high as 5 basis points (bps) to 0.8% earlier in the session, its highest since Nov. 16, following a 10.5 bps jump in the previous session, its biggest single-session increase since April 2013."

It’s a sad day when even the bots get into the mortgage trap

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rawz View Post
    It’s a sad day when even the bots get into the mortgage trap
    One of the best posts in a long time 🤣