sharetrader
Page 94 of 341 FirstFirst ... 4484909192939495969798104144194 ... LastLast

Thread: IFT - Infratil

Quote Originally Posted by svez01 View Post
    I was wondering if someone with some Technical Analysis expertise would care to post their thoughs on Infratil.

To my (very inexperienced) eyes it appears IFT has broken out of its long term down trend.

Your opinions are appreciated.
    Svez01: As a newcomer to TA myself, just a supporting note here while we wait for the masters to clarify the situation. Starting off, i would agree with you, if we look only at the last 6 weeks of your chart; your observation might still be right after looking as far as 6 months back. However it could be just over-optimistic taking in the longer term data. There are clearly a sequence of runs up & down, with lower lows happening (up to ~6 months ago) - so a pessimist might claim IFT is still in a sinking trend.
    But as a longterm holder of IFT, of course i hope you may be right!

Svez01: I should correct myself - the most recent lows in fact have risen somewhat (supporting your hopeful outlook).

The sun is rising and all of the dirty laundry has been hung out to dry. Could this Kiwi Company finally be awakening from the long deep depression.

Volumes though the roof and a deal on the table with the price to be revealed 'soon'.
    Toddy

Toddy What deal is this? If you mean the Shell deal? Is it going to be another dead loss like the purchase of Stagecoach? I will back the Shell management any day against the IFT management.
    Possum The Cat

Veteran novice

Shell's decision to sell its NZ retail business is part of a world-wide decision to scale down its downstream business to free up funds for its exploration and other upstream activities. It doesn't say that the NZ retailing arm is a dog.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busi...-1225841675631

Macduffy if it was a good performer they would not sell it. They have sorted out their poorest performing assets or those they anticipate will perform poorly in future for sale. This is the reality of business.
    Possum The Cat

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Possum, they are making decisions based on where they see the best returns. They see exploration and upstream as more profitable than retail and downstream.

That doen't mean that retail and downstream is not profitable.

GTM not profitable enough to keep so why would it be profitable enough for IFT Just like Stagecoach lack lustre returns. If this is such a good buy. Why was Infratil the only one interested.
    Possum The Cat

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by GTM 3442 View Post
    Possum, they are making decisions based on where they see the best returns. They see exploration and upstream as more profitable than retail and downstream.

That doen't mean that retail and downstream is not profitable.
    Took the words out of my mouth, GTM!

For Shell it's a matter of their strategy and priorities. Guess we'll have to agree to disagree with Possum over this and wait to see how it plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by POSSUM THE CAT View Post
    Macduffy if it was a good performer they would not sell it. They have sorted out their poorest performing assets or those they anticipate will perform poorly in future for sale. This is the reality of business.
    But that goes with any business being bought and sold. If that was the case, then the buyer always loses out.