sharetrader
Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: TRUST POWER

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Phaedrus, I think you are wasting your time trying to discuss TA with a combative ex builder whose idea of defining a trend/time line is to hold a scaffolding plank up against his monitor whilst it displays a stocknessmonster chart.

All in fun, as the man himself says

regards

Paper Tiger

om mani peme hum

Advanced Member

Nice to see you back papery one. We were a bit worried about you. You should have used the macdunk got it wrong thread for a decent laugh. MACDUNK

Thanks for your comments Phaedrus. They are very helpful. Likewise are Snoopy's efforts to share his thoughts on fundamentals. Duncan, leave this childishness and carry on sharing your insights please.

Advanced Member

TPW leading up to the budget TPW has lost nearly $1-00 in sp. PHAEDRUS would have sold for a third time, at just under $7-00 if he was true to form sticking with his system. SNOOPY would be buying more averaging down, but what about me with my system?.
    Being of sound mind, I dont have a complete zombie like mechanical buy or sell system. I also respect what the market is telling me, and that is to sell. I then ask myself why is the market telling me to sell?, and why not respect that the market knows better than I do.
    Is TRUSTPOWER different at this moment in time to ignore sell signs, and if so why is it different. Trustpower has had an excellent year, its prospects for next year are better than last years prospects, its market is increasing in size, along with demand for its product.
    The reasons it went down is, it is a very thinly traded share, moves up and down fast, with very few shares traded. TEL scared the punters, as did the coming budget with fears of regulation.
    I know that CEN dropped, so it was not just a company thing that was going on it was a general short term blip, other than the govt setting new rules and regulations, that i considered extremely unlikely. The fundamentals told me to buy, the TA told me to sell, with me having a foot in both camps I had to make a decision fast.
    SNOOPY and the MAJOR would be proud of my decision, PHAEDRUS would be disgusted, but thats what i did i used my common sense and bought a few more. Very few instances that i ignore sell signs, but this is an exception. Understanding the market and other investors view points, with reasons they think that way, is the more important than a mechanical, buy or sell system.
    I always say what i buy or sell on the forum, unlike a lot of the more outspoken critics of other peoples systems, it keeps you honest and improves your performance. macdunk

You might think you always say what you do, but ask yourself if anyone understands it?

You write so poorly that despite having read your post several times I can't work out whether you having been buying, selling or holding in the past 10 days.

Please enlighten us all as clearly as possible.
    \"The overweening conceit which the greater part of men have of their own abilities [and] their absurd presumption in their own good fortune.\" - <b>Adam Smith</b> - <i>The Wealth of Nations</i>

The information you have is not the information you want.
    The information you want is not the information you need.
    The information you need is not the information you can obtain.
    The informaton you can obtain costs more than you want to pay.

erh duncan, sorry but i hadnt updated my DISC

i sold out of tel about 2 monthso, for a small gain. sold at 5.60-70 or something around there.

TPW = worth nothing to dad, cause we got it when we were in tauranga, via the power thingie.

sold now, cause using it for property duncan :P

a cool 30k is good for us.

Oil - NZO
    REE - ARU
    Copper - EQN/OXR/TMR
    Iron- AGO/ADY/UMC
    Nickel-WSA
    PGM/Gold - PLA/VRE

Advanced Member

quote:Originally posted by rmbbrave

You might think you always say what you do, but ask yourself if anyone understands it?

You write so poorly that despite having read your post several times I can't work out whether you having been buying, selling or holding in the past 10 days.

Please enlighten us all as clearly as possible.
    RMBBRAVE, I did Take it that you might be bright enough to work it out. I said PHAEDRUS would be disgusted SNOOPY and MVT would approve. Surely even you must be able to follow that.
    PHAEDRUS always sells on a sell signal. SNOOPY and MVT buy more averaging down. Perhaps you should stick to the things that you can work out. macdunk

Key TrustPower stake likely to splinter
    17 September 2006
    By GARRY SHEERAN

Those looking for buyers of American shareholder Alliant's 23.8% holding in TrustPower say it will lead to a more actively traded share register.

Such a stake in a key infrastructure player would usually be eagerly sought by a competitor or energy investor.

But TrustPower has two other cornerstone investors - Infratil and Tauranga Energy Consumer Trust - who own nearly 64% of the company. It seems unlikely either would quit as well.

Consumer trustees last week decided to explore the buying more shares.

"We are financially strong, although it would be a major transaction to take the lot," saidchairman Michael Cooney.

Infratil director Brian Harkness discounted suggestions his company may bail out too.

"Any party coming into Trustpower will have to accept they will be a substantial minority - and that is all."

An added complication for buyers of the stake - worth more than $500 million -is that Infratil has first right of refusal. And takeover code provisions require any buyer to make a full takeover offer.

Analysts suggest the stake will be sold piecemeal to professional investors looking for a tidy holding in Infratil, but not wanting control.

With three significant shareholders for many years, only 12% of TrustPower's shares have been effectively tradeable. That will increase to 36% if the Alliant stake is broken up. And that is being seen as a plus amid all the other complicating factors in a complex process.

ABN Amro has canvassed professional investor interest in Alliant's Trustpower stake, as well as the American investor's 5.07% stake in Infratil.

In a separate move, First NZ Capital has been asked to find buyers for the holding company which holds both stakes.

Although the latter task appears more difficult, analysts are not discounting it altogether. The Infratil right of refusal does not apply if the shares are sold as a job lot through the holding company. The investment might be considered by a rival electricity generators Contact or Meridian - if they were prepared to take a longterm view, said analysts.

\"The overweening conceit which the greater part of men have of their own abilities [and] their absurd presumption in their own good fortune.\" - <b>Adam Smith</b> - <i>The Wealth of Nations</i>

The information you have is not the information you want.
    The information you want is not the information you need.
    The information you need is not the information you can obtain.
    The informaton you can obtain costs more than you want to pay.

October should be an interesting month for TPW/IFT.

NEW ZEALAND: A JEWEL IN THE ENERGY CROWN
    NICK STRIDE
    TRUSTPOWER is one of New Zealand's little-recognised investment jewels and Alliant Energy's shares are expected to attract keen interest from managed funds.

One attraction is the company's generation of power 100% from "clean," renewable resources.

That puts it on the radar screen for the growing throng of fund managers offering investors "ethical" funds.

The Carbon Disclosure Project, for example, is an annual exercise drawing data from the world's top companies on how they deal with climate- change issues such as greenhouse gas emissions. The project's backers are 225 groups managing funds of $US31 trillion.

TrustPower has 33 hydro stations on both islands and the 31-turbine Tararua wind farm near Palmerston North.

Analysts say this is a potent combination because when the wind is blowing the company can cut back on its hydro output, allowing the dams to refill.

Its average annual generation is 1,940 gigawatt hours, making it a minnow compared with, say, Contact Energy, which last year pumped out 11,534 hours.

Options for new capacity include hydro, the Arnold, Wairau and Waipori Hydro enhancement projects, totalling up to 607 hours annual output, and Tararua Stage 3 wind project, under construction, which could add 350 hours.

Another wind farm, the 300 megawatt Waipori site in Otago, is on hold as the falling dollar and other factors have rendered some wind projects uneconomic.

Australian options are the 40MW Myponga site and the 335MW Snowtown site.

The company is a net retailer, ie, it sells more power than it generates and buys the rest on the spot market, meaning it has an exposure to wholesale market prices.

It covers this with hedge contracts for the proportion of load sold at fixed prices.

A second attraction is the spiralling price of electricity as cheap Maui gas runs out.

Along with load growth outpacing the commissioning of new generation capacity, this has pushed steady growth in generator/retailers' profits in recent years.

The combined net profits of the five big generators - Contact, TrustPower, Meridian, Genesis and Mighty River Power - have risen from $287 million in 2002 to $664 million last year. Foreign funds will also like the fact the generation and retail markets are unregulated.

The Commerce Commission has been investigating competition in those markets for more than a year.

But it has said it's looking only for specific instances of anti-competitive behaviour, not conducting a review of market functionality.

Managed funds with portfolios replicating NZSX indices will have to buy the shares if Alliant's stake goes to institutional tender.

Based on free-float market capitalisation, the company's shares will move from a ranking of 32nd to 10th among New Zealand listed companies and it will comprise 2.7% of the NZSX50 index.

An institutional sale will also improve trading liquidity for both TrustPower and Infratil.
    (c) 2006 The Independent Business Weekly

Source: The Independent Financial Review
    Toddy

Another NZ company setting up operations in Aussie. On the face of it, it appears to be a good strategic move

TrustPower to proceed with wind farm in Australia
    TrustPower today announced it would start constructing a $200 million wind farm in South Australia's mid-north in April, which it said would be its Australian beachhead.

The company said plans had been finalised for the construction of 42 wind turbines on the Hummocks and Barunga Ranges west of Snowtown, 170km north of Adelaide.

The wind farm, which will have a capacity of 88MW -- enough to power 60,000 average South Australian houses -- is stage one of a possible 130 turbine project that has been approved for the site.
    Death will be reality, Life is just an illusion.