sharetrader
Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: TRUST POWER

Quote Originally Posted by Davexl View Post
    Nice one Johnny, ended up here today after going as high as ~ $8. Slow appreciation from here as the uncertainty unwinds closer to the deal concluding...
    Yes a nice oversold bounce. Have been slowly scaling out day by day (due to low liquidity).

Maybe traders smarter than me have worked out that buying Mercury instead of Trustpower is the way to go. I mean, it is most likely imo that Trustpower will be swallowed by Mercury anyway...only a matter of time

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/126...iness-for-441m

Be interested in the opinion of others.

Do you think TECT dividends to only Mercury/Trust Power customers will be a deal breaker?

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Waikaka View Post
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/126...iness-for-441m

Be interested in the opinion of others.

Do you think TECT dividends to only Mercury/Trust Power customers will be a deal breaker?
    It does sound like an unusual arrangement. A quick perusal of that article would suggest that the former Trustpower retail customers would have to be ringfenced as the sole future beneficiaries of the TECT (Tauranga Energy Consumer Trust) payouts. In the past, this arrangement has meant consumers were paying higher than average power rates to qualify for receiving a TECT dividend at the end of the year. I guess Mercury could offer such consumers a special rate (read higher rate) if they want this arrangement to continue into the future. But if Mercury does offer the same power unit rate to everyone, then the former Trustpower customers would be in the box seat regarding their power bills. Since TECT is completely independent of Mercury and all the other NZ power retail companies, I am not sure if the commerce commission can have any say in what TECT do with their income?

SNOOPY

discl: MCY shareholder
    Last edited by Snoopy; 28-09-2021 at 11:10 AM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    It does sound like an unusual arrangement. A quick perusal of that article would suggest that the former Trustpower retail customers would have to be ringfenced as the sole future beneficiaries of the TECT (Tauranga Energy Consumer Trust) payouts. In the past, this arrangement has meant consumers were paying higher than average power rates to qualify for receiving a TECT dividend at the end of the year. I guess Mercury could offer such consumers a special rate (read higher rate) if they want this arrangement to continue into the future. But if Mercury does offer the same power unit rate to everyone, then the former Trustpower customers would be in the box seat regarding their power bills. Since TECT is completely independent of Mercury and all the other NZ power retail companies, I am not sure if the commerce commission can have any say in what TECT do with their income?

SNOOPY

discl: MCY shareholder
    TECT has stunk from its creation and always been a tool of Trustpower. In practice only ever existed to subsidise shareholders. A situation which Infratil took full advantage of and continues too by trying to include it as part of the sale.

TECT dividends should go to all power users in Tauranga regardless of supplier to ensure the region has real competition. Of course that would devalue the sale price but is in Tauranga's long term interest.

Advanced Member

Strong Half year results released this morning, but no strong buying support to emerge yet...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ3Q9SJDgsE

Brilliant Advertisement, maybe too brilliant, made me want to go and adopt a three legged dog rather than join Trust power.
    Last edited by Beagle; 01-03-2022 at 08:52 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Advanced Member

Thought I would drag TPW out and give it a good dusting over. Not much talk on here about the special div to be paid out in the near future plus the normal div. that is 35c + about 17c = to about 52c div. Please correct me if I am wrong. I hope I am not wrong

Quote Originally Posted by see weed View Post
    Thought I would drag TPW out and give it a good dusting over. Not much talk on here about the special div to be paid out in the near future plus the normal div. that is 35c + about 17c = to about 52c div. Please correct me if I am wrong. I hope I am not wrong
    Correct, but remember the special dividend is taxed at 33%

Here’s their new website: https://www.manawaenergy.co.nz/

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by huxley View Post
    Correct, but remember the special dividend is taxed at 33%

Here’s their new website: https://www.manawaenergy.co.nz/
    I don't mind paying a bit of tax. I get most of it back as a refund at the other end