sharetrader
Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: TRUST POWER

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

quote:Originally posted by kittydashwood

What else is in that bottom drawer MACD?
    Apart from that bondage gear.
    and how would you know[?] [:0]
    om mani peme hum

Advanced Member

This is one share that TA takes second place to fundamental analysis. The sp has shot right back up on the back of a very few trades. The chart with volume sold against the price fall and rise might make interesting reading if PHEADRUS can find the time to show why this is not a good trading share in my opinion. A few shares change hands will make this rise or fall dramatically. macdunk

You mean liquidity is low duncan.
    TPW could increase generation by running a small thermal generator off your computer keyboard.
    Something to discuss at the agm I feel.

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

It would be funny if it wasn't true.
    om mani peme hum

TrustPower investigating wind farm in Otago
    09 January 2006

TrustPower has confirmed it is looking at developing a wind farm at Lake Mahinerangi, south of Dunedin.

TrustPower said the project could have installed capacity of up to 300MW, at a potential cost of up to $500 million.

The company said the wind farm would probably be built in 100MW increments.

It expected to apply for resource consents later this year, subject to results from various studies and reports.

Part of the land being investigated for the project included land owned by the Dunedin City Council, which has already approved TrustPower's initial investigations on this land.

The proposed location of the wind farm is close to TrustPower's largest hydro storage, Lake Mahinerangi, and the Waipori power stations.

TrustPower chief executive Keith Tempest said the wind farm would add security of electricity supply for consumers in Dunedin and surrounding areas.

AdvertisementAdvertisement"The ability to retain water when the wind is blowing for use when it is not, plus the availability of added peaking capacity provided when both resources are available, would give the best of both worlds in terms of sustainable generation," he said.

Shares in TrustPower were unchanged at $6.16 in early trading this morning, having ranged between $5.00 and $6.31 over the past 12 months.

In November fellow energy company Meridian Energy confirmed it was investigating a wind farm in Otago's Lammerlaw Ranges. Meridian's development could cost between $1.1 billion and $2 billion and be the world's largest wind farm.

\"The overweening conceit which the greater part of men have of their own abilities [and] their absurd presumption in their own good fortune.\" - <b>Adam Smith</b> - <i>The Wealth of Nations</i>

The information you have is not the information you want.
    The information you want is not the information you need.
    The information you need is not the information you can obtain.
    The informaton you can obtain costs more than you want to pay.

Cheapest land in the country up that way.
    Under 10k and acre with nothing but pine trees and dead miners.
    http://www.kittydashwood.com - advice from a small black and white house cat, who favours a gap up on a red doji.

Given the proximity of some of the lakes in the Waipori scheme, I wonder if installed NZ's first pumped capacity would be plausible? That would be a real coup if they could bank windpower all night and run it back out at peak periods.

Advanced Member

Limegreen. I might have you wrong but you cant pump water up hill to generate energy to make a profit. Its a great idea to generate with wind to conserve the water, then sell the stored energy at high spot prices. Water is energy stored to be used at the top of the market. Wind should be used all the time. I can only see good things happening for trust power. macdunk

quote:Originally posted by duncan macgregor

Limegreen. I might have you wrong but you cant pump water up hill to generate energy to make a profit.
    I don't know if it is profitable, but it's certainly done, as the following list attests (and accounts for over 5% of capacity in the EU). Usually it is to "store" thermally generated electricity (with an efficiency of 70-85%):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumped-...droelectricity

Interestingly, francis turbines (which are used in *some* power stations) can be designed such that the generator can be used as a motor and the turbine as a pump (effectively running the powerhouse in reverse).

However, you are right that without resorting to pumping, they can use less water during offpeak times, and plug the wind energy into the existing transmission infrastructure. This is also the logic behind Meridian's Lammerlaw scheme, which would see them running less water through Benmore, and dropping the windpower straight into the HVDC link to the north island.

In reality, a pumped scheme would make more sense near Auckland, probably pumping Hunty juice up hill overnight.

Guru

Pumping can work if the spot price differencials are large enough - ie when everyone is asleep and the wind is blowing strong the spot price might be c but during the day and no wind and low dams (except the ones you have just filled) spot price might be $1. You lose efficency but if the differentials are great enough, it can work.
    Free delivery worldwide with Book Depository http://www.bookdepository.co.uk