sharetrader
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Maybe, but call me old fashioned but I hail from the days when the net grew out of things like The Well and the lack of netiquette, and flaming that goes on now here, most of it sans humour, reeks of childish bullying. Sorry, but your mate c9 might think it's great fun to trash anyone else threads for their own amusement but just stand back and see it for what it is.
    Fantasy Premier League 2006/07, 2007/08, and 2008/09 Champion :-)

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - C&H

THE KING says at 2271 posts you have permission to LEAVE.. [^][^][^]

I know, they should change the ranking system:

1 - 50 = newbie,
    51 - 500 = contributor
    501 - 1500 = serious ramper / dumper
    1501 - 2500 = blowhard pontificator
    2501 - = really should get a life

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - C&H

THE KING says at this Rate your still at the the top of the LIST.. [^][^][^]

Hi Gryffyn,

Why do you have two entries in the members list?

Is it a mistake or have you posted 2276 x 2 = 4552 times?
    \"The overweening conceit which the greater part of men have of their own abilities [and] their absurd presumption in their own good fortune.\" - <b>Adam Smith</b> - <i>The Wealth of Nations</i>

The information you have is not the information you want.
    The information you want is not the information you need.
    The information you need is not the information you can obtain.
    The informaton you can obtain costs more than you want to pay.

Don't know rmb. You'd have to ask the site admin etc. Glitch in the mysql database underpinning things here perhaps. Doesn't seem to have any impact on me though.

Back to your main question re land & improvements; land value tends to be stable for a given part of town. So in a good part of town, the GV would be 5x higher per square metre than in a not so valuable part of town. The improvements value is then total - land value. Thus, "improvements" is only related to the size/value of your dwelling if it would be reflected in it's resale value. Thus, you can get some really weird anomalies where a really large house can have very little value with respect to GVs. Median house prices are not split up into Land/Improvements, but you can see how much of a premium/discount houses are typically selling to average GV.

Cheers lg, I'm looking at buying some more property in the next year or so and am trying guage if recent gains and any forthcoming dips are more proportionate to the underlying land values or the improvements.

Leaning towards buying unimproved land at this stage with a few to building when the heat is out of the housing market.

I can only really comment on Dunedin, but the new GVs released here generally conform quite closely with current house prices. I also attempted to calculate a monthly OBV based on the real-estate institute figures, and while it looks like the market is cooling a bit here, it looks more like a plateau than a reversal -- the median house price has been trading sideways for since May, after around 12 months of consecutive increases.

quote: Leaning towards buying unimproved land at this stage
    The other option is to look for a property where the value of the improvements is relatively low, tenant it for a few years, and then push it over (possibly taking advantage of depreciation if it's an investment property).

Cheers again lg. Have been a slumlord in the past and no longer wish to direct any energies that way. Just trying to get a feel if relative to recent gains land itself has kept pace or whether the improvements have gained more.