Thread: Comvita - CVT

I see Harrod's branded manuka honey 15+ from NZ has sold out

22 quid for 375 gms
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pipi View Post
    Not good for the NZ Honey industry.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/indu...y-from-shelves
    Excerpt from the comments section
    The manuka honey myth is getting busted. Priced beyond its usefulness. Inconclusive results when used as a dressing. No results at all when eaten. A true scam.
    Tea tree oil is a good cheap antiseptic ointment..
    Logic suggests a degree of skepticism is warranted regarding the benefits to eat manuka honey compared to eating normal honey given the vast price difference.
    Maybe if you're a top athlete like Novac Jokovich earning millions on the world tennis circuit...for your average Joe Bloggs faced with the everyday need to balance their budget from 101 competing directions ?

That said I think the CVT manuka honey based derma cream's for about $20 are very good value, work well and are affordable because they last well...but eating manuka honey at current prevailing prices ?????

Common folks, hands up ! who's actually paying current prices and eating this liquid gold ?
    I won't eat it as a small part of a regular diet as I consider it too expensive for regular consumption but maybe if I had a bad flu that wouldn't go away I might buy some but maybe I have this back to front ?

Maybe a little bit on a couple of bits of toast two or three times a week in the lead up too and during winter makes for a healthier and happier hound over winter ?..or is this money down the drain and normal honey is almost as good so you'd not notice the difference...who can say for sure ?
    Last edited by Beagle; 05-02-2017 at 12:45 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.”
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Even ordinary honey is an outrageous price these days

Have good old fashioned jam on my toast these mornings

(Note to Aaron - National Super not high enough to allow honey these days)

Pull the other one mate...you're not short of a quid I am certain that deciding to ante up for regular honey would have far better health effects and be a good cost benefit exercise compared to regular sugar laden jam.

The real question is do you pay $31 for 250g of this https://shop.countdown.co.nz/?banner...manuka%2Bhoney that's $12.40 per 100 grams or

$22.59 for 950 grams of this https://shop.countdown.co.nz/?banner...clover%2Bhoney $2.38 per 100 grams

Is the manuka stuff really worth more than 5 times the price ?
    Last edited by Beagle; 05-02-2017 at 01:48 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.”
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Pull the other one mate...you're not short of a quid I am certain that deciding to ante up for regular honey would have far better health effects and be a good cost benefit exercise compared to regular sugar laden jam.

The real question is do you pay $31 for 250g of this https://shop.countdown.co.nz/?banner...manuka%2Bhoney that's $12.40 per 100 grams or

$22.59 for 950 grams of this https://shop.countdown.co.nz/?banner...clover%2Bhoney $2.38 per 100 grams

I'm told more calories in honey than jam

Most honey tastes nicer but touted 'benefits' are a bit exaggerated I reckon

Marmalade pretty healthy.

percy

Excerpt from the comments section
    Logic suggests a degree of skepticism is warranted regarding the benefits to eat manuka honey compared to eating normal honey given the vast price difference.
    Maybe if you're a top athlete like Novac Jokovich earning millions on the world tennis circuit...for your average Joe Bloggs faced with the everyday need to balance their budget from 101 competing directions ?

That said I think the CVT manuka honey based derma cream's for about $20 are very good value, work well and are affordable because they last well...but eating manuka honey at current prevailing prices ?????

Common folks, hands up ! who's actually paying current prices and eating this liquid gold ?
    I won't eat it as a small part of a regular diet as I consider it too expensive for regular consumption but maybe if I had a bad flu that wouldn't go away I might buy some but maybe I have this back to front ?

Maybe a little bit on a couple of bits of toast two or three times a week in the lead up too and during winter makes for a healthier and happier hound over winter ?..or is this money down the drain and normal honey is almost as good so you'd not notice the difference...who can say for sure ?
    My wife has Hanz honey Manuka blend on her one peice of toast in the morning.Think the last jar was about $18 from Pack'nSave.Think a jar lasts her about 3 months.
    I have one green kiwi fruit before my two slices of toast with Crunchy peanut butter,no added sugar or salt.[on special at Pack'nSave $3.50 a jar last week]
    I think it is all in the mind.Wife says her honey is good for her,while I have not had a cold since starting my day with one kiwi fruit.
    Last edited by percy; 05-02-2017 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwidollabill View Post
    Little birdie told be CVT is discounting 25% in China to clear stock. So much for the brand moat.
    worse actually
    its the end of the golden weather for CVT until brand integrity can be re-established.

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    worse actually
    its the end of the golden weather for CVT until brand integrity can be re-established.
    When's that going to happen in your opinion ? Personally I see this stock as uninvestable for at least 12 months.
    Last edited by Beagle; 05-02-2017 at 05:23 PM.

The market for high UMF manuka is not NZ but overseas - especially the China market. That's where the demand has pushed the price to astronomical level.

The health product shop I go to when I have overseas visitors from time to time stock Comvita UMF18+ but only if you ask as it is kept in the cabinet, locked up! At $230 per 250g jar, no wonder! They have no problem getting rid of the stock when they can get it - medicinal grade is how they describe it.