sharetrader
Page 71 of 256 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581121171 ... LastLast

Thread: Comvita - CVT

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    It's all in the testing regime as to which flowers the bees obtain the pollens and honey from.

Problem is that there's so much counterfeiting going on it's very difficult for the average consumer to know. The copying in China now is flawless.
    And what's the bet the Chinese know all about the placebo effect so seeing all honey is good for you nobody will be any the wiser !
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    And what's the bet the Chinese know all about the placebo effect so seeing all honey is good for you nobody will be any the wiser !
    If the infant formula regulations which China brought in a few years ago is any guidance, there will be quite a process to go through before any of the honey companies
    gain certification if the China government decides to bring in an audit process.

I recall a few companies like Fonterra were given the fast track (being a necessity, infant formula supply must be maintained) but it is doubtful manuka honey is seen as an essential!

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    If the infant formula regulations which China brought in a few years ago is any guidance, there will be quite a process to go through before any of the honey companies
    gain certification if the China government decides to bring in an audit process.

I recall a few companies like Fonterra were given the fast track (being a necessity, infant formula supply must be maintained) but it is doubtful manuka honey is seen as an essential!
    I was once in a meeting with someone in the IF market during this time - they had been advised that the going rate for gaining a fast track approval was NZD40k in cash, they declined....

Quote Originally Posted by kiwidollabill View Post
    I was once in a meeting with someone in the IF market during this time - they had been advised that the going rate for gaining a fast track approval was NZD40k in cash, they declined....
    Sounds like a scam? I know one company which would have been happy to pay several times that amount if paying the bribe would give them approval. Alas, despite export IF to aching for over 5 years with a good brand and China distributors, it did not get approval.

Interesting times ahead for the honey industry. I personally think though that MPI is taking a much more proactive approach with Manuka honey (albeit late) than it ever did with IF. So there is hope that there will be an orderly process of verifying what is real Manuka money (honey) vs so much of the nonsense out there.

Hunting for Heuristic trends

Had an interesting chat yesterday with a person who is conducting research for the iwi's, honey production and resources providing hives with source material has become a HOT topic, but the underlying theme has a nonpositive outcome for certain companies. I am carefully considering current levels of holdings in this arena.

More news from the coal face....

The honey take in the NI is massively down (even more than I thought), ~10-15% of previous years in the major regions (Northland/East cape) though there are pockets doing well.

Moreover, alot of the BIG producers are holding off buying any honey until the new MPI rules come into force (though MPI have skipped a number of previous deadlines...)

This will certainly shift the supply/demand dynamics, weed out a few of the cowboys etc.

So the honey produced this season will be "floral Chelsea" yeah?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by kiwidollabill View Post
    More news from the coal face....

The honey take in the NI is massively down (even more than I thought), ~10-15% of previous years in the major regions (Northland/East cape) though there are pockets doing well.

Moreover, alot of the BIG producers are holding off buying any honey until the new MPI rules come into force (though MPI have skipped a number of previous deadlines...)

This will certainly shift the supply/demand dynamics, weed out a few of the cowboys etc.
    I would be surprised that 10-15% is what you call massive.From the goss sounds more than that KDB. Does that mean who has reasonable supplies can corner the market?

Quote Originally Posted by arc View Post
    Had an interesting chat yesterday with a person who is conducting research for the iwi's, honey production and resources providing hives with source material has become a HOT topic, but the underlying theme has a nonpositive outcome for certain companies. I am carefully considering current levels of holdings in this arena.
    Are you insinuating that iwi are going to start trying to clip the ticket, claiming traditional ownership of the manuka plants and thus a "production input" of the honey?

'Tasmanuka' as a brand name has been trademarked in Australia. This is in readiness for Australia trying to demonstrate that leptospernum honey from Australian varieties also has merit alongside NZ Manuka honey