sharetrader
Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Hi Tommy,
    yep it's relentless. No one wants to sell this gem and no wonder.

If a recession is on its way (thanks to higher interest rates) this is the kind of recession-proof stock that investors will flock to.

If not it will keep on churning out stellar results.

Whatever happens, I will sleep well at night with Reject Shop shares tucked firmly under my pillow (25% of the portfolio). Still have yet to sell even a single share (nearly did in the rout last week to finance some buys, but regained my senses in the nick of time )

Hi oneup,

Good on you for holding on to TRS!

Boring stock for traders but a no-brainer winner for lazy investors like me TRS accounts for about 30% of my portfolio now, and quite happy with that level of exposure (same for GBT)...

Getting good sleep is important at turbulent times like this
    Respect
    TOMMY

Disclosure: trading in and out of many stocks, too many to update the list at the moment...

DO NOT TRUST ANYTHING I SAY OR IMPLY... USE YOUR OWN BRAIN AND RESEARCH BEFORE MAKING ANY INVESTMENT DECISIONS.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/business/...956345082.html

Who cares about high fuel prices?

Jessica Irvine
    May 31, 2006
    Related coverage

SHOPPERS have defied record-busting petrol prices to splurge on winter coats, boots and toys with a fervour not seen since the housing boom.

Raising fears the Reserve Bank may again raise interest rates this year, annual growth in retail sales has rebounded to 7.4 per cent.

Figures from the Bureau of Statistics show consumers are once again lashing out on shoes and clothes, with sales up 2.7 per cent in April compared to March. Sales of recreational goods were up 2 per cent and retail sales as a whole 1.4 per cent.

The spending spree comes despite petrol prices jumping more than 12c a litre in the month.

An equities economist with CommSec, Andrew Mitchell, said the rebound was "astonishing" given escalating bowser prices.

"The rise in retail spending indicates Australians have successfully altered their behaviour to avoid absorbing the full impact of soaring petrol prices," he said.

This had been achieved by shifting to public transport and cars that were more fuel-efficient, he said

An unseasonably warm March was also thought to have boosted the number as people delayed buying woollen coats until April.

Department store sales surged 1.5 per cent for April as indicated by last week's strong sales reports from David Jones and Myer.

Proving that when the going gets tough, the tough get spending, Victoria was at the forefront of the spending splurge, up 2.7 per cent.

NSW households put on a reasonable showing, spending 1.1 per cent more than in the previous month.

A senior economist at National Australia Bank, David de Garis, warned the shameless spending spree could attract unwanted attention from the Reserve Bank, which could raise rates as soon as August to tamp inflation.

"These data very much keep the RBA in play as far as monetary policy is concerned," Mr de Garis warned.

But with the latest interest rate rise yet to hit, some warned the consumer resurgence could be short lived.

"Australian households are now very sensitive to interest rate changes because they are carrying historically high amounts of debt," Mr Mitchell said.

Separate figures showed the NSW economy was approaching crunch point as approvals of new homes and units teetered near two-decade lows.

Building approvals have tumbled 23 per cent in the past year, to 2349 a month.

The chief economist at Challenger Finance, Ron Woods, said the number of NSW approvals was "frighteningly low" given the housing demands of a growing population.

"Back in 1983, there were about 6 dwelling units approved per 10,000 people in NSW," he said. "Today there are just over half as few approved, [at] 3.4 flats and houses per 10,000 people."
    Respect
    TOMMY

Disclosure: trading in and out of many stocks, too many to update the list at the moment...

DO NOT TRUST ANYTHING I SAY OR IMPLY... USE YOUR OWN BRAIN AND RESEARCH BEFORE MAKING ANY INVESTMENT DECISIONS.

quote:Originally posted by cujodog

I can't believe people actually own shares in this dog.
    Cujodog,

Can you pick a share that's not a dog and outperforms TRS? This is a multibagger, look at the charts and read this thread from the beginning to work out when we bought into this stock[:I]

P.S. Everyone's a winner at The Reject Shop[]
    Respect
    TOMMY

It's official: Reject Shop over $6 [].

Yeah cujo, you're right mate, we're real mugs holding this lemon .

PS: Tommy, yeah TRS is pretty boring for traders, because they thrive on volatility and TRS pretty much only goes one way: up!

I'll be the one laughing when this one goes bust.
    Yes you will Cujo! Perhaps you'd like to clarify why you think the company will go bust?

What a *ucking joke this share is - how can the price be that high - what's the world coming too - forgive me while I throw up
    Cujo, this first post was made back in September last year. Since then TRS has climbed from $3.74 to $6.00. Maybe instead of bagging it you should be buying it.

I look forward to a company with no debt , strong cashflows, many customers and suppliers going bust over the next 12 months. There's a first for everything I guess.

TRS's offerings and growth profile reminds me of WHS. Also reminds me of WHS's shareprice rise and rise for several years. Then WHS grew too big, acquired the wrong sort of stores in Oz, lost focus and the shareprice has dropped ever since. If TRS starts to veer from its currently successful positioning in the market (and in the big retail malls) then it's probably time to sell. Until then enjoy the continuing uptrend.

Hope you've got a strong heart[}]
    I trust the irony of this statement isn't lost on you?

I can't believe people actually own shares in this dog.
    Sorry Cujodog but I find comments like this, which are totally unsubstantiated, less than constructive. My observation is that The Reject Shop has a good business model; shops (particularly check-outs) that are always busy; very experienced management and performance which exceeds prospectus forecasts. Not surprisingly on account of all the above the share price reacts very positively. Please explain why you think it is a "dog" as this might help your fellow sharemarket investors.
    Cheers

BobbyVee