sharetrader
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Disappointing that Robbo has backflipped and sold off his TRS holdings, but I'm still not letting go of TRS simply because I don't find a better alternative! (I'm sitting on a paper loss of 10.8% at the moment!!)

Remember though, TRS's operations are weird in that their revenue is mostly generated around the Xmas period while the rest of the year is loss-making for them! I don't think the change in market sentiment has anything to do with the fundamentals of TRS, as TRS appears to be much more competitive compared to their peers... When costs begin to rise (as pointed out by pago regarding inflationary pressures triggered by high oil/coal prices, etc.), those with efficient operations should be able to survive while inefficient ones get weeded out. It would be interesting then to see when TRS starts taking over other unprofitable stores to expand their chain... they can be still be a winner in a competitive retail market full of losers!
    Respect
    TOMMY

Disclosure: trading in and out of many stocks, too many to update the list at the moment...

DO NOT TRUST ANYTHING I SAY OR IMPLY... USE YOUR OWN BRAIN AND RESEARCH BEFORE MAKING ANY INVESTMENT DECISIONS.

Err... Just realized pago seems to have erased his post[xx(]
    Respect
    TOMMY

Disclosure: trading in and out of many stocks, too many to update the list at the moment...

DO NOT TRUST ANYTHING I SAY OR IMPLY... USE YOUR OWN BRAIN AND RESEARCH BEFORE MAKING ANY INVESTMENT DECISIONS.

Yeah fair enuff guys [B)][B)]

Apologies to one and all, ...wamt to point out that my decision to take profits was due to the SECTOR, not the actual share, TRS, which frankly now thanks very much to Tommy is firmly again on my Watchlist, as I still def, DO rate this stoch highly...

Also, from mem. I didpost something about gettin a goodly portion of funds into CASH, as I think I did this post on the BB post after taking Profits their as well....

So I'd better also say that apart from trs, I also sold out of sen, emi, trs, hsc, fan, gud etc due to desire to go to cash,,,
    regards robbo
    Robbo

Hi One-Up

I saw on another thread you were making some comparisons between TRS and WHS.

I see a few differences between the two.

TRS appear to be located in the ‘lower socio-economic’ parts of suburban centres and are also really highly exposed (over half their stores) to regional markets, and therefore exposed to any downturn in these regions accordingly…..I’ve been in Sydney for a few years now and in that time have seen at most 4 TRS shops…...whereas in NZ I see 3 or 4 WHS stores just on the drive back from the airport…. I think there are only about 15 TRS stores in Sydney compared to about 30-40 WHS stores in Auckland…..further TRS has about 30 stores in regional NSW, in a number of places that are really hurting …

WHS has a much more ‘diversified’ and loyal customer base and with a greater exposure to a number of different markets….

Also whereas in NZ one may specifically decide to go shopping at the WHS, my reading of the TRS consumers is that their shopping purpose would be to go to a Centre/mall and then decide to visit TRS amongst other shops once they are there, therefore you are relying heavily on mall traffic to drive sales…..rather than on the actual pulling power of TRS…

I can say that in my 5 years in Aus I have never once been into a TRS shop….either becos there are none around where I live/work and because the marketing doesn,’t do much for me….whereas in NZ I was at a WHS every second week….

Not saying TRS or WHS are good/bad/better/worse, in fact the TRS financials look great, just pointing out my experiences in relation to the two different shops…...

Cheers for your thoughts mate, can't recall comparing TRS to a WHS (and if it came across certainly wasn't intended), from memory I was more asking what Reject Shop's competitive advantage over WHS or Millers.

The argument goes that, even if the economy is hurting, people put off going overseas or buying a new plasma TV screen, rather than soap and the other "daily essentials" that TRS stocks (or at least we all hope they don't stop buying soap!). It's essentially an elasticity of demand argument.

If anything, tighter economic conditions may well mean people go the extra mile to scout out bargains and stretch their dollars further. (So instead of paying an extra couple of bucks to get these items at the supermarket, they go down the other part of the mall to TRS).

One thing I asked at the beginning of this thread, and haven't got a lot of feedback on, is exactly what you find at a TRS. And what sells best. The company says it sells "daily essentials" but it's probably worth verifying that first hand. As well as sweet talking the store manager or store clerk to see whether things are slower or busier than last year. You get the feeling that even if sales are a little slower on a same store basis, that it will be compensated by the new store opening programme.

EDIT: would be good to see some insider buying at current levels. I'll be buying some more when/if they do.

Hi oneup,

This is the sort of stuff TRS sells:

http://www.rejectshop.com.au/catalogue.asp

A lot of the stuff they stock aren't exactly daily essentials... they just appear to be cheaper alternatives to what you can find in other discount stores like Kmart (but on a much smaller scale).

Apparently their "silicon bras" were a big hit... but I don't know what else is a massive sales generator at TRS.
    Respect
    TOMMY

The Reject Shop today went up 5.09%, with sell side getting thinner and thinner... the REJECTION days may be over, so I am hoping[:I]
    Respect
    TOMMY

Hi Tommy,

Yep....having got out of Retail Sector earlier in the year,with TRS, and the Telco B Digital, BBB after Xmas (see that thread) ...and Prometum PPR in the Printing Sector..(see that thread too) and .from memory, that was about late Jan thru to late Feb of this year......and as you also know... taken v. large (massive) profits -- 450 % (yeah !!) out of Senetas (SEN) and also excellent 80% profits in 4 months with IPN Medical...(IPN) see that IPN Medial thread...and also out of Emitch(EMI) 190 % profits was enough...with the PE getting a bit high.... @ the approx. 33 cents mark...after getting in at 11 cents...

The other day I also sold out of BSL (Bluescope Steel)...also see that post..

So I was very very BORING....and just basically nearly went to approx. 55% -- 60% Cash......except OF COURSE for my faves....being for POL, SIM, MTN, POL, MAL, BHP, NBL, PBD (Port Bouvard) See the PBD thread) ...which I also sold TODAY --as it reached an all time Year and 12 month high, I guess in anticipation of the BIG Div.....!!(so the yeild on capital gain was still about plus 17 % in 30 days....and I wanted The CASH $$$$ !!! )

and Blue Scope (BSL) which I settled with Profits for just a gain of 11 % on...only the other day...(see BSL) thread) --was all I decided to really keep....and again stocked up on The Cash $$$ ---

But this last 21 -28 days approx. have, as already indicated on the other EMI thread, been again adding in the GLOOM & Doom with the Lovely lemmings (sky is falling in types...!!...and all the craxy skizzo Worry Warts !!! ,

to stocks like EMI and also added to MAL AT 38 -43 cents with also quietly adding to MAL as I do for MAL, as you all know reckon there is a wallaping wide Margin of Safety here.... & with Zircon etc etc....remain VERY VERY Bullish and picked up another approx $50K. approx of MAL.......this last 2 - 3 weeks ...

Included with all of this bringing in Cash in Feb & March * April....have also been doing some Buying too.... again now adding to TRS, and again -- !!! to good 'ol Emitch --- (EMI) coming back into EMI strongly at 18.5c & 19c, and 19.5 cents.... and also added to TRS, and ALSO slowly adding to MTN, MAL, AEX, POL, SIM, BHP(on weakness) and again Samson Oil & Gas (SSN) ,on weakness. ....

.and so; having being cashed up; have been lately adding to these sorts of Share positions as per above...

...as well as ADDING

....>>>>> two other nice Fresh NEW discoveries I've made chaps...., being what I perceive to be wonderful opportunity STOCKS -- namely Marathon MTN ... and another left fielder called Acclaim (AEX) ...on which I will also.... for both of these (AEX and MTN) start two new quick threads...

Thought I would try and do the right thing & declares some of the overall INterests.... Guys.... and sort of indicate in a ## approx. general way...what my overall current activities/intentions are....as that seems to be the vague sort of protocol around here at Sharetrader.... !!! (still have kept about 17 % of my portfolio discreet...but the above is listed the approx. ## General Idea of the situation !!! )

and yep, as I said, do now like and am again re-entering TRS !!!

Catchya guys

Regards,

Robbo ...
    Robbo

Hi Robbo,

Sounds like you are well cashed up to take advantage of the cheapo stocks around! I have been holding on to TRS for a while, still have a lot of faith in this company because it is basically Xmas time when this baby makes money... as for the rest of the year, oh well, it's basically burning cash[|)] I know retail sector is no longer in favor under the present economic climate (wow DJs and Myer launching their midyear sales early just to boost sagging sales!), I'm sure the business model of TRS will still allow the company to outperform its peers.

Always good to hear your opinion robbo, keep up the good work
    [8D]
    Respect
    TOMMY

Looks like "Grahger Capital Investments" likes TRS

Have recently become a SSH and continues to buy on market. (see announcements)

Their buying prolly explains the 60c rise over the last month