sharetrader
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Hi Cooper
    Unsure about being ironic.
    My take is that watch the downside on any investment (as most here do) and anything going on the upside.....well let it ride!!

How do you read the quote?

cheers & a prosperous '05 to you

A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.
    G.K. Chesterton

The obvious is always least understood.
    Prince Metternich

These and others at http://turtletrader.com/quotations.html Check it out. Phaedrus likes the Turtles

quote:Originally posted by foodee

Hi Cooper
    Unsure about being ironic.
    My take is that watch the downside on any investment (as most here do) and anything going on the upside.....well let it ride!!

How do you read the quote?

cheers & a prosperous '05 to you
    I think your post is spot on in it's wisdom... but I don't think Mr. Trump is necessarily the best exponent of his own advice.
    I don't know too much about the Donald but I do know that he has a habit of passing the buck on his failed ventures and building his empire on a "house of cards" of debt and promises... which to me doesn't sound like someone who is fixed on limiting the downside.
    Although he always seems to wriggle out of his messes with the result of his bankers holding most of the loss... maybe that's what he means...
    Happy New Year to you and yours as well, foodee.
    Undisputed 2006 World Cup Premierleague Champion

Hi Cooper
    You're right about DT and & history has borne this out. The following quote is probably more in tune to his operations:-

"if I owe the bank $10 and can't pay, I am in trouble
    if I owe the bank $1000000 & can't pay, the bank is in trouble!"...........ssm.[}]

cheers

quote:Originally posted by foodee

Hi Cooper
    You're right about DT and & history has borne this out. The following quote is probably more in tune to his operations:-

"if I owe the bank $10 and can't pay, I am in trouble
    if I owe the bank $1000000 & can't pay, the bank is in trouble!"...........ssm.[}]

cheers
    The first time DT 'almost' went under, the banks were owed something like US$500m. His comment at the time was that when the bank is so exposed, they are in effect your business partner...

Death will be reality, Life is just an illusion.

The following has nothing to do (directly) with investing but it's a truth that ought to be engraven on the minds of all Helengrad politicians and their public service flunkies. It was spoken by Margaret Thatcher in 1979, not long after she became PM and began wrestling with the horrendous economic problems she inherited from Labour after Britain's "winter of discontent".

"It is your tax that pays for public spending. The government has no money of its own. There is only taxpayers' money."

Lawso

Too true

There is another one in a similar vein I dont know who it is credited to

It is easy to spend the governments money ; it doesnt seem to belong to anybody

We have all seen more than a few examples of that !!!

Time is the great revealer

A latecomer to this discussion.

More of a cliche but my fave is "If it looks too good to be true, it probably is".
    Donald Trump quote of the year surely must be: "You're Fired".

My knowledge is more in sporting quotes, though a few of those are also applicable to business:
    The more I practice the luckier I get -- Arnold Palmer
    The will to win is nothing without the will to prepare -- Juma Ikangaa
    Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated -- Anon
    Enthusiasm is the greatest asset in the world. It beats money, power and influence -- Henry Chester
    Somewhere in the world someone is training when you are not. When you race him, he will win -- Tom Fleming
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome while trying to succeed - Booker T. Washington
    I don't make predictions, I make prophecies that immediately turn out to be wrong -- Murray Walker (incidentally, his book "Unless I'm very much mistaken" is a great read).

Marriage isn't a word. It's a sentence

My Favorite

Picking bottoms will only give you smelly fingers

David

quote:Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated -- Anon
    Very good - must remember that one