sharetrader
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

securitised property is good for an income oriented portfolio

incidentally while we're on this topic...

is anyone actively perusing portfolio hedging? (I'm not, i have the luxury of short-term orientation)

Halebop: We have property owned separately from shares. Since retirement,round 5 years ago, for similar investment in each, income from property(rent/dividends) has been about double that from shares, growth about half.

What I have found since retiring is that my knowlege of what is going on round the town is becoming less and less, meeting far less of the right people now. Realising this I am less happy about the property so will probably sell shorly,then will be looking at where to invest the proceeds. The same has not happened with shares, in fact I think I find out more tha previously.

Thanks for the great responses so far, everyone. Too much for me to absorb and comment sensibly on at this time. Kitty's global spread blows me away! But here's a couple of points:

Yes, PT, I hold 19 NZX and ASX stocks, but only 15 that really matter, the others being consigned to the bottom drawer. Last year I had as many as 22. Some say I might as well be in a managed fund or an index fund like Tenz, but I reckon I can do better on my own, without paying fees or c g tax. Besides, I enjoy it! And the nosh and drinks at agms!

You've made good choices with your 5, PT, but I prefer to spread my risks. To each his own, as they say.

Property: I'm in three NZ listed property stocks plus an Australian managed fund that invests in LPTs like Westfield. Combined they represent about 17% of all investments, incl. f i instruments, a level I'm comfortable with. I've been a landlord once or twice and haven't enjoyed it.

Of the NZ listed property stocks I like MGP best, probably because it's given me a 16% paper gain in about six weeks. In Australia Westfield has been a brilliant performer.

Cheers everyone. This is what ST is or should be all about.

quote:Originally posted by OldRider

Halebop: We have property owned separately from shares. Since retirement,round 5 years ago, for similar investment in each, income from property(rent/dividends) has been about double that from shares, growth about half.

What I have found since retiring is that my knowlege of what is going on round the town is becoming less and less, meeting far less of the right people now. Realising this I am less happy about the property so will probably sell shorly,then will be looking at where to invest the proceeds. The same has not happened with shares, in fact I think I find out more tha previously.
    Thats an interesting perspective OldRider. I wonder if the average investor is as active in the management of their property investment options? Are you in residential or some form of commercial? Could you be at the forefront of baby boomer property investment trends?

My LT portfolio..
    FBU 13%
    HQP 10%
    NPX 9%
    TPW 9%
    GPG 9%
    DPC 9%
    HBY 8%
    EBO 7%
    RYM 7%
    PGC 6%
    FTB-WB-4%
    HLG 4%
    FRE 2%
    CTL 2%

In addition I have a separate portfolio of Trading stocks (yes.. taxable)-currently FBU,TPW,NOG.
    Property-sold rental properties over the last 12 mths after 10 yrs or so.Have sufficient property in house we live in.

mmmm wow...
    thats all i can say...
    i thought i had it bad... but then my total portolio is only 14k.

anyways heres mine.

34% NOGOC
    25% PBG
    16% NOG
    9% TEL
    9% CEN
    7% SKC

am going to increase holdings in TEL/CEN/SKC maybe....

there are just so many other shares out there... cueva, ctl, atr, ciy...

Oil - NZO
    REE - ARU
    Copper - EQN/OXR/TMR
    Iron- AGO/ADY/UMC
    Nickel-WSA
    PGM/Gold - PLA/VRE

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Crikey KittyD, are you running a personal portfolio or an international investment fund[?]
    om mani peme hum

I'm so glad this was brought up - I've been really lax, and I had to create a spreadsheet to tell me because I haven't been tracking this explicitly. In the light of this, I'm going to have a rethink.

Anyway:

ASX shares 78.52%
    NZX shares 14.59%
    Cash (AUD and NZD) 6.89%

Not included: 67 ASX.ION shares leftover from an erroneous trade (current net value 0.00), various stashes of cash saved for other purposes, a super scheme, and my beloved wine cellar...

NZ:
    DPC 28.78%
    POT 59.64%
    Cash 11.58%

Australia:
    ATR 20.46 %
    CIY 29.34%
    GTP 10.39%
    OTI 3.65%
    PRG 9.44%
    TOL 11.73%
    UXC 9.03%
    Cash 5.96%

I'm thinking I want to be liberating/stashing some cash soon. Also might be moving a little more back into NZ, especially if the rate improves vs AUD. (Figures above at 0.92 AUD to 1 NZD).

quote:my beloved wine cellar...
    Ok, so time to come clean. I'd guess that my investment is around 4-5% of the value of my share portfolio. Nil chance of capital gain, but I find the 'dividend' very rewarding!

Anybody else willing to value their vices against their portfolio?