sharetrader
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

It is interesting to read in the Sunday paper today which says investors should be moving more money overseas. If this is so what are the best vehicles to do this? Also should one have 50% overseas and say 50% NZ and Australia - is this the optimum one should be aiming for. Your thoughts appreciated

USD NZD rate resistance broken this weekend. Thinking of bringing money back actually.

35% cash Stoploss out of mid and small cap US etf IWM and the high yield DVY. Banking sector looks shaky. All the free money has fueled a spate of m&A now that's over people will be rationalising, consolidating and contracting.

This week saw a further stoploss out of RRI & GE. I thinkI ran my GE stop loss to close as it is back up 35.53. Bought EWZ KERX PCU CH. Continuing to run 35% cash. Thinking about batteries and SOROS/BUFFET buying into TIME WARNER/COMCAST.

rebalanced to:

15% Cash
    12% Latin America Stocks
    25% US Stocks
    3% Australian Stocks
    12% New Zealand Stocks
    33% Managed Funds

http://www.kittydashwood.com - advice from a small black and white house cat, who favours a gap up on a red doji.

I'm out of some underperforming NZX stocks (vtx & skx) to:
    19% NZ cash
    44% NZ shares
    37% AU shares

Call me young and reckless, but I think I'm prepared to chance my arm on some solid NZ stocks still (perhaps top up FBU), but definitely interested in an ASX bargain

quote:Originally posted by limegreen

I don't think I really read your old post on under/overweight too carefully, because I didn't actually comprehend how cashed up you are! Do you believe there are some better buying prospects in the medium-term? Just curious, as I have been increasing my cash reserves recently, but nowhere near your levels.
    Hi LG,

Thought I'd post the answer here since it was a bit off topic on the other thread. I was previously light on equities anyway but have since sold AFC and GCL but bought a small parcel in MAL which is looking like getting stopped out rather than being profitable for me.

At the moment I'm:

99.4% Cash (Mostly AU)
    0.6% ASX

I was speculating on some short term weakness in GCL but sat out too long. I may yet buy back in but I can consol myself with a 110% 6 month gain if I don't.

I'm still feeling bullish about some resources but am considering the various possibilities before jumping. I'm feeling more confident that we may be seeing a structural change in resources and markets - perhaps a return to the 70s where China is a surrogate for the demand/inflation problems previously created by Japan and the boomers. Big call to get wrong though! Some of the gold bulls (also known as "conspiracy theorists") are sounding logical for a change so I'm not sure if they are right or I need Prozac.

quote:Call me young and reckless, but I think I'm prepared to chance my arm on some solid NZ stocks still (perhaps top up FBU)
    Good on you, limegreen. The chart Phaedrus has just posted on the FBU Chart thread may encourage you to top up on that stock.

Haha. Just saw the boss-man's chart. I'd been doodling up something similar myself. For while I think in the medium/long the economy is going to slow... the rate-rise was driven by it's continued good performance in the short/medium. Thus, I'm hoping that an exit-plan should help me get some more profit yet. Just a matter of avoiding stocks that are harmed by the exchange rate.

FBU's down a little again this morning, hoping to get in near the bottom of this dip/pre-dividend [8D][8D]

I got stopped out of Feltex this afternoon. I don't see the point in high dividend stocks with exposure to certain forex rates at the moment. It also leaves me (with the exception of Botryzen) in only up-trending stocks. Thus, I'm not too unhappy with the balance. I've lost most of my dead-wood, and am now 38NZX/38ASX/23NZcash and looking for bargains.

I am 100% ASX stocks at the moment, and have been for about a year or so.

I don't believe in much diversification, I prefer to bet big on stocks with a significant margin of safety.

My portfolio is 43.6% UOS
    44.5% ATR
    9.8% FAN
    2.1% CIY