sharetrader
Page 4 of 59 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Here's a picture of the new boat.

http://www.sealegs.com/press/allterrain.pdf
    \"The overweening conceit which the greater part of men have of their own abilities [and] their absurd presumption in their own good fortune.\" - <b>Adam Smith</b> - <i>The Wealth of Nations</i>

The information you have is not the information you want.
    The information you want is not the information you need.
    The information you need is not the information you can obtain.
    The informaton you can obtain costs more than you want to pay.

MB with the "boat" were at the 4x4 Show at Clevedon yesterday.
    Didn't see the "boat" in action but the huge retracted ballon wheels at the back made it look quite funny as it came in on a boat trailer. It's still basically a one person tender, not much good to take the family out fishing in.

Interesting but not sure they would find many buyers there, as even the likes of Land Rover, etc., and other big 4x4 Mamufacturers weren't present at the show.

Hey you guys the emporer has no clothes.

This 'amphibious vehicle' looks ridiculous, do you think they will be a hot seller. []

The boats are a great piece of engineering for what they enable their owners to do, that is, Launch the boat by themselves without getting wet. However, they do look a bit funny with the wheels sticking out.

The problems are:

1 I'm not sure whether there is a market for them. I certainly wouldn't buy one for $98,000
    2 The management of SLG appears to be a bit slack.

Although, the second problem could be related to the first. If you have a great product even poor management can make a profit.

I have been watching this company for a while and as the SP has been falling have bought none.
    \"The overweening conceit which the greater part of men have of their own abilities [and] their absurd presumption in their own good fortune.\" - <b>Adam Smith</b> - <i>The Wealth of Nations</i>

An article in the Herald.

Sealegs to make all-terrain amphibious boat

04.04.05 1.40pm

Sealegs International today announced that it has developed a new all-terrain version of its amphibious boat.

The 5.6m Sealegs All Terrain Amphibious Craft (ATAC) has two 79cm by 46cm hydraulically powered wheels on the rear and three steerable tyres at the front. The company said these enabled the ATAC to cross estuary mud flats and soft shingle beaches that were beyond the reach of conventional boats and trailers.

Sealegs chief executive David McKee Wright said the listed amphibious boat builder was excited about the market possibilities the ATAC opened up.

"People who have waterfront property with soft terrain between them and the water at low tide finally have a boat launching solution for the first time ever," he said in a statement.

Once driven into the water, the ATAC hydraulically retracts its wheels to allow speeds of up to 60kmh on the water.

On land the ATAC has a ground clearance of 425mm which allows it to climb inclines of over 25deg.

- NZPA

Its always been a nice concept - only issue I have is their distribution - their middle east (key market) co seems to be mysteriously absent from regional directories. So far I havent seen to many orders going that way
    try underwater salvage... cos its there... somewhere... maybe...

quote:Originally posted by marinesalvor

Its always been a nice concept - only issue I have is their distribution
    Surely the other issues has to be price and deck area and it looks to be a very 'wet' boat?

At $98,000 plus delivery costs it's an expensive way to keep your feet dry for such a small boat.

I see they at at the Sanctuary Cove Boat Show again in May. Most water front properties in that area are on waterways and have floating pontoons that allow quite large boats (more versitile than Sealegs) to be keep high and dry and launched in a few minutes.

I would not like to take my family through the Motuihe Channel with the wind opposing the tide (most days)in Sealegs. I imagine everyone on board would be soaking wet after a few minutes.

Hey Dino

as a mariner, I dont have any issue with the "wetness"- it performs as all RIBs that size do, yes its wet in adverse conditions, but these are designed for a pleasure market that wont even be launching if its not smooth and blue

98k isnt too far off the mark either given the added benefits in terms of beachablity and storage. It really just needs to be distributed and marketed correctly
    try underwater salvage... cos its there... somewhere... maybe...

Mariner

Who do you think is the right target market.
    My guesses:

1)The retired older couple, perhaps with a beach front property or close to the beach, say up to 500m, possibly asset rich but cash poor.
    Owns or have had boats before but now want a boat that they can launch by themself/self so one doesn't have to stand in freezing water while the other parks the car or tractor. They want a partial of full cabin, as experience tells them that it can be smooth and blue when they go out, but quite rough when they pull up the pick and head for home and they want shade from the sun for their fragile skins. Oh, they want a power anchor too. Would also be nice to have proper seats for the grandchildren. I know that if young children or women in particular have a bad experience in a boat, it's very had to get them out again. "@#&$@* Sell that dam boat".

Can't see them choosing Sealegs.

2) Multi-millionair with beach front property who wants a water toy. My guess Sealegs is too clumbersome looking and at 60KPH the top speed is too slow.

3)Luxury boat owner who wants a tender to go ashore onto remote islands etc. Sealegs may have a market here but it is very limited market. A standard tender will do fine for going ashore via a wharf. Most of these owners only use the boat as a hotel at major ports.

I looked over the prototype at the 4$WD show and totally agree with Dino. As a solution to a perceived problem it is a very clumsy option. Very little useable onboard space, wheels sticking out front and rear, and all those mechanical bits to corrode and give trouble. No thanks. The mangrove crossing scenario may be an attempt to foster more interest but this is no hovercraft; I would not chance it in estuary mud.