sharetrader
Page 1 of 241 123451151101 ... LastLast

Default STU - Steel & Tube Holdings

This stock has jumped in the last 2 days, after doing nothing for a while yet I can' find anything to suggest why?

Anybody know?

investors have been a bit scared of a slow down in the construction sector, fbu today has showed that things are going along gang-busters at the moment and with comercial taking over from residential it doesn't look like it will slow down any time soon.

Don't forget that once commericial slows down there will still be a large amount of public works construction, and that, if anything will use even more steel....

Up 20c so far today to 520. STU doubtless coat-tailing FBU to some degree.

After a break of five years I bought back into STU in September @ 452. Now showing a 29.2% gain + 15c final div.

That's an 18% return including the div.

where do you get 29.2% from?

3-4 years ago when STU was sitting on $1.30 and had a tiny p/e, I looked at it for a long time and then decided against it. Probably been one of the most untalked about stocks in that time but has shown legs.
    The P.O.D.

Sorry.

Arrow PUT BACK on WATCH LIST..

BRICKS visited STU today and is most impressed with the outcome well maintained buildings
    not like the old days they are taking a bit of a beating just at present but the two things going for them One Steel wants to BUY & they pay DIVIDENDS..

Veteran novice

Yes, I agree with that.

STU is one of my income stocks and a classic cyclical IMO.
    Ideally, I should be lightening off at the peak of the cycle ( SP and economic activity) and loading up at times like these. I never do, of course, but it's still a good earner even when times are tight.
    Might still buy a few more but there are so many other girls to kiss and I'm still only grudgingly parting with my cash.

Last edited by macduffy; 02-04-2009 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    so many other girls to kiss and I'm still only grudgingly parting with my cash.

Now thats a business idea Macduffy now that its legal to get paid for kisses?

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by STRAT View Post
    Now thats a business idea Macduffy now that its legal to get paid for kisses?
    Hi STRAT.

No, not a business idea so I can't cut you in on it I'm afraid.

Just a mixed up use of the old investment axiom ..... "You can't kiss all the girls."

Advanced Member

Default Long-term STU Chart

Quote Originally Posted by Yankiwi View Post
    STU from $2.50 to $3.00 in a week on lightish volume. Well above the MA100 now. It still appears to me to be in a mid/long term downtrend with a possible short term break out. Any wiser (than my own) TA thoughts?
    There is not much that can be added to your comments, YK. You have covered the important facts such as the low volume - today's big rise to $3 was on just 1911 shares, for example.
    I have not plotted my usual raft of supplementary indicators on this chart because STU is in a consolidation zone and in such circumstances trend indicators just give a series of contradictory signals. The 100 ma cross you mention has no significance - price action has risen above it 6 times so far during the course of this wide trading range.
    For STU to break its longterm (4 year) downtrend, the shareprice would need to go above the Resistance at $3.80. That is well above current price action and would mean a fairly late entry. The break of the current confirmed short-term trendline would make for a more timely signal for those wanting to buy.
    I would see a retreat to the support at $2.50 as a buying opportunity.

The break of the 5 year uptrend gave a timely trendline-break Sell signal, getting you out of STU before you gave a lot of profits back to the market. A nice example of why a staunch "buy and hold" approach is a bad idea!