sharetrader
Page 10 of 241 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast

Hmmm not a good performance today given the strength of the market, I'm picking at the upcoming NZX 50 review, Steel & Tube out and Scales in.

I get the feeling many don't believe this

This steel 'issue' seems to be getting worse

GENERAL: STU: Recent Media - Huntly Bypass

Given the recent media attention around the Huntly Bypass pile casings, Steel
    & Tube confirms its 18 May FY2016 earnings guidance disclosure appropriately
    incorporated any impact from this issue.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

On the radio today there was mention of a Chinese supplier looking to compete against STU to jump in the gap made by the recent certification issue. Apparently their product is certified and the open trade agreement doesn't prevent them from competing.

I wonder how easy it would be to compete in NZ given the cost of shipping metal (must be heavy, therefore expensive)? Does STU get its metal from abroad or locally, does anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    I get the feeling many don't believe this

This steel 'issue' seems to be getting worse

GENERAL: STU: Recent Media - Huntly Bypass

Given the recent media attention around the Huntly Bypass pile casings, Steel
    & Tube confirms its 18 May FY2016 earnings guidance disclosure appropriately
    incorporated any impact from this issue.
    I would believe that they would have accounted for it in their May 18 update, as the issue has been known about for some time, at least 6 weeks anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewylewylewy View Post
    On the radio today there was mention of a Chinese supplier looking to compete against STU to jump in the gap made by the recent certification issue. Apparently their product is certified and the open trade agreement doesn't prevent them from competing.

I wonder how easy it would be to compete in NZ given the cost of shipping metal (must be heavy, therefore expensive)? Does STU get its metal from abroad or locally, does anyone know?
    Are you asking about all of their steel or just steel for reinforcing? If your talking all steel of every shape and form I would guess that 50% comes from overseas, a further 30% from Australia and maybe 20% from NZ??

Thanks, so probably a Chinese competitor could be threatening?

I'm not a holder of this one, buy I could come to the party of there's a drop in price with no real threat of a difficult competitor.

Structural steel and most commonly steel plate is imported from overseas. There are still quality concerns about Chinese steel and it is paramount that mill certificates are thoroughly examined before using the product. That said, there have been instances of fake mill certificates and accreditation. I would say most steel fabricators would import steel when possible as it is cheaper. This is most commonly steel plate because structural steel (beams, columns etc) needs to be made to New Zealand/Australia standard sizes. I image this is less appealing for overseas steel producers due to our smaller market.

Reinforcing steel is usually less of an issue because I believe most is sourced locally (of which steel and tube is a major player).

Punters still not believing that succinct statement from STU yesterday

Not good - more to come?

Sharechat - http://www.sharechat.co.nz/article/4...n-15-yearshtml

Strange hey go back to 9/11 lows - weird

Wonder when time to have a leap of faith as the fat prophet man says

I'd suggest waiting till after the index sellers come out. STU highly likely to be out of NZX50 (announcement 9 June) thereafter quite simply the stock will be sold as the index guys sell the stock. I'm targeting late June as a safer time to buy