sharetrader
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Where do I locate the gully in the roof? Pardon my ignorance. You can tell from my post that I dont do much handy work around the house. I even have a guy that mows my law.
    This stock shines so bright that it \"Bling Blings\"

Normally referred to as a "valley" round these parts if we're talking about the same thing. The gully or gully-trap is the semi-open drain that the "grey" household water goes into.
    Not all villas have a valley as the smaller/inferior ones have a simple pitched roof with gable or hip ends. You don't necessarily have a valley Bling2. Even the valuers and REINZ wallopers refer to "small villas" when I believe them to be "cottages."

Cap - I'll have a squiz at your wine cellar if I can get a visa to the N.I.[]

BB - If the roof (catchment) comprises two or more "peaks" then the water between the peaks has to be caught in the "valley" and taken into the stormwater system via a leakproof trough then into a rainhead (square bucket) with a downpipe coming out of the bottom into the s/w ater drain. The bigger the better and keep it clean as they're not cheap to replace as it may involve lifting the roofing iron. Commonly lined with continuous sheet rubber (butynol) nowadays and as long as the rusted iron or timber beneath it can support it I reckon its the best solution. It has no joins or gaps and is pretty tough.
    Parapet walls normally found in turn-of-the century cottages have the dreaded internal gutters that do the same thing and have the same probs.

Where are you BB?

Thanks for the explanation Longtak.

I live in the eastern suburbs of Auckland. I think my roof needs a good paint or replaced. Who do I contact to give advice on the roof and the gullys? Do I call the roofing company or plumber?

Cap - your comment about tradesmen not being interested unless they can glue it is understandable. I apologise for sounding like the Auld Scots Git but I do spend a bit of time fixing up tradesmens thoughtless/unintelligent/untradesmanlike repairs and installations. It's systemic of the current boom and availability of work. A bit more unemployment wld help - I ruefully add - then we'd get better quality and less of the rip sh*it and bust stuff I see in mainly new housing.
    I'm not a tradesman, and better for it I believe as my mind is a little more open and enquiring - arguable of course. If I'm nosey or out of my depth then I'll pick up the NZS3604, buy a book on it, call BRANZ, ask tradesman mates or get several opinions and pick the most sensible one. Much divergence there.
    My niece recently spent squidzillions doing up a large villa in
    Capville, somewhere close to town. I'm gagging to have a look at it.

Longtack should repair to Auckland instead of posting on internet chatrooms. I don't comment/write/read blogs and such things. What a farooking waste of time.

Gully is fixed now, but not before water nearly destroyed my antique piano. That needs restoration Longtack.

Advanced Member

BLING BLING, contrary to perception, painting a roof is a waste of money. If you count the cost of paint against any small gain in the life of a roof, other than appearnces sake then you are wasting money.
    ELECTROLYSIS is what kills the roof, surface rust second. The sheets rust out under the laps and under the lead head nails with white rust, not red rust. It is the electric reaction between the sheets that rusts first. At one stage aluminium roofs were thought to be the answer,until they found out it was worse than iron for that problem. Stack a few sheets of iron on the flat in the middle of summer outside. Pick them up a few weeks later, and you will notice that they are soaking wet between, with big white spots. This is because between the sheets creates a vaccum that sucks the moisture out the air, as is the case with leaky homes. The big white spots is white rust, created by electrical reaction. That is the reason that they put zink blocks on ships to stop the propellor eating out. Now todays roofs have long run iron, and they dont use leadhead nails for this very reason. The short answer to your question is look up the yellow pages fix or paint a roof if you feel it necessary, and never put it off to winter. macdunk

Thanks Macgregor.

Will get someon to check it out. Any recommendations on what kind of steel or tin roof I should put up if I need to replace it?

BB - Call or text me 0274 807425 What shape is it - like an old fashioned tent? - describe it.

Does it leak? If so where and how badly?
    What colour is it? Dark, pale or rust-coloured? [:o)]
    Any idea of what it's been painted with?
    Is the paint flaking? Avoid deferring mtce until the paint flakes as it takes yonks to prepare it once it starts.
    Is it corrigated iron? I'm assuming it is.
    Any idea of the age of the iron?

Unless you're going to sell it soon'ish and can immediately realise the gain from re-roofing it now then repair/paint it as necessary.
    There are plenty of shall we say "bad people" who pose as roof-painters, shamelessly willing to charge you $2-3000 for a $500 quick squirt, mininal-prep' job.
    Call around and get several free assessments from roofers, plumbers, chippies, painters and witness the divergence of opinion, ask trusted friends, word of mouth referrals are pretty good.

For a roofer to replace it? Minimum $5k for zincalume or galv for 130m2 floor area in ChCh. Add 50% for coloursteel. Quotes can vary by double for the same job and right now roofers have plenty of nice clean work rather than replacing dusty old roofs and having to remove old iron. It takes 2-3 days for an average house.

Butt-outsky Freudian Slipper (if you're daring to tell me to belt-up.)

Does this antique piano play only antique songs or can we have a Bob Dylan singalong?

Longtack

I will try to answer your questions the best I can. The last time I did any maintenance was a putting a handle back on the door.

1. It doesnt leak.
    2. Some minor rust on the roof.
    3. Pale colour, looks like it needs a paint. It is easy to paint myself? Paint with spray or rollers?
    4.I dont know if it is corrigated iron or not. The house is 1920s.
    5. No idea of the age of the iron.
    6. I am not looking to sell, I usually invest for long term. Abit like my share portofolio.

Again thanks for the advice.