sharetrader
Page 194 of 196 FirstFirst ... 94144184190191192193194195196 LastLast
Results 1,931 to 1,940 of 1957

Hi Phaedrus, good to see an update - Cheers. Still learning about TA, will have a read of stochastic oscillators and DMI (never heard of it) on investopedia..

Hoop, missed that bit - Indeed, didn't think that some of the recent move would be short covering but it does make sense. Like you say, seems like people's reasons for thinking this rally would (past tense) be short lived is psychological - Maybe a bit of overcautiousness off the back of a few uncertain years...

Anyway, its all good - And I found the DOW thread recently here, so thats been keeping me entertained. Look forward to a bright day for my commodity stocks

"While the crash only took place six months ago, I am convinced we have now passed through the worst - and with continued unity of effort we shall rapidly recover. There has been no significant bank or industrial failure. That danger, too, is safely behind us." - Herbert Hoover, President of the United States, May 1, 1930
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Things looking better, DOw up 2% and indicators turning..

Bulls on Brink as S&P 500 Makes Third Pass at 200-Day Average

June 15 (Bloomberg) -- The rally in the Standard & Poor’s 500 Index above its average level in the last 200 days is captivating Wall Street for the third time in two weeks.

The benchmark gauge for American equities gained as much as 2 percent to 1,111.76 as of 2:55 p.m. in New York, exceeding by 3 points the level considered significant by investors who base trading decisions on chart patterns. The S&P 500 increased to near the 200-day mean on June 3 and May 27 before losing as much as 5 percent in the next two days.

Technical levels are affecting trading in the absence of earnings and economic news and take on more influence as traders fixate on them, said Peter Sorrentino, who helps oversee $13.3 billion at Huntington Asset Advisors in Cincinnati. The S&P 500’s failure to hold above 1,105, its intraday high the day before May’s employment report spurred a 3.4 percent plunge, was cited in the index’s drop yesterday as it erased a 1.3 percent early rally.

“No one disregards technical analysis now,” said Sorrentino. “If they do so, they do so at their own peril. Technical analysis has become increasingly important because of so much money chasing around. The momentum of money has become more important than the fundamentals beneath it.”

Recovery From Plunge

The S&P 500 tumbled as much as 14 percent from a 19-month high on April 23 through June 7 as concern grew that Europe’s debt crisis will derail the economic recovery and BP Plc’s leaking well in the Gulf of Mexico triggered the worst oil spill in U.S. history.

Equities rallied today as an 11th straight month of growth in the Federal Reserve Bank of New York’s manufacturing gauge added to evidence the economic rebound is weathering the European debt crisis. The S&P 500 has rebounded 5.7 percent since June 7 as concern over European budget deficits eased and investors speculated growth in China and the U.S. will bolster the global recovery.

“The bulls are slowly starting to wrestle back control,” Christopher Verrone and Nicholas Bohnsack, technical analysts at Strategas Research Partners in New York, wrote in a note to clients today.

More than 50 percent of New York Stock Exchange-listed shares have risen above their 200-day moving averages, Verrone and Bohnsack said. The Dow Jones Transportation Index, Nasdaq Composite Index and Philadelphia Semiconductor Index are among other benchmark gauges that have topped their 200-day moving averages in recent days.

‘It Means Something’

The S&P 500 closed below the 200-day average on May 20 for the first time since July 2009 and remained under the trend line for 16 straight sessions before today.

“To the extent of people looking at this, it means something,” said Michael Shaoul, chairman of Marketfield Asset Management, who oversees $770 million and whose flagship fund beat 97 percent of peers over the last year. “It doesn’t tell you that this correction is over, but I think people would look at it as a plus and it would set up the test of the next resistance, which most people would say is at the 50-day moving average.”

The S&P 500’s 50-day moving average is 1,143, about 3 percent above today’s level, according to Bloomberg data.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...spkcpBR0&pos=3

You young guys should read this thread

**** happens on a regularly basis ..... and panic sets in on a regular basis ....... but the world carries on

But then maybe, just maybe, this time is different

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post

But then maybe, just maybe, this time is different
    And because of that bit Winner... we get the panic and we get strange herd mentality and we get some (in hindsight) super funny prices were available etc. It also applies to a bubble. But I must be honest and say I got caught up in the hype back in 2000 myself. Also in 1998 with the Asian crisis. You live to learn and consequently took a hit in 2008 but was not afraid to buy when everyone was selling so am still alive to tell a tale.

Some days you look at the market and you feel pretty good, other days you look and feel a bit sick... But you must control your natural instinct, emotions and herd mentality - today is bad day to sell shares, and it is actually a good day to buy shares - so don't follow mr.market as he cements losses and panics. Winner is right - the world still goes on, businesses still make money, their clients still come through the doors so to speak.

Guru

Agree with you totally NZSilver.... but it can be hard at times to distance yourself from all the noise. And its hard not to let yourself be taken in isn't it. Yes agreed, today is a good day to buy shares but then the greed kicks in and I may just wait a day or two longer to see if prices will fall that bit further

Getting closer to my cheeky bids for Mighty River Power shares every day.
    Possum The Cat

Good thread here . I have been buying bigtime ! I was cashed up for 1 year , put up the closed sign !!! I see greed as I feel all the ducks are lining up for me to make progress in the next 3-4 months. Only trade oilers mainly . I haven't seen good buying like this for ages , and quality ...

Also, I built my experience in bad times , had complete wipeout 1987! using bank money . Handled 2007-8 wipeout quite well and regained all 2009-10 mainly because I use my own hard saved rather than anyone elses. Been into trading since 1981 , and I am sure many have been over the bumps like me .

pls don't ask about purchases .... I don't tell !
    Last edited by ELYOB; 24-06-2013 at 02:43 AM. Reason: dyor

ok what are you buying