sharetrader
Page 57 of 201 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167107157 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    I reckon those that are heavily discounted to NTA, and that certainly includes ING. PFI and GMT are ok but aren't bargains and I have never liked APT - 'cos office buildings are worse than residential stuff.
    ING still has some lower value investments that it can sell on to sucker privates/family trusts.
    GMT has much larger but also built-for-purpose units so its rent roll is stickier than most.

Lightbulb

KPF is worth taking a look at. Better positioning than first mees the eye.
    Not much debt.
    But small, then does that really matter ??
    BB

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Boy View Post
    KPF is worth taking a look at. Better positioning than first mees the eye.
    Not much debt.
    But small, then does that really matter ??
    BB
    I agree. Seems a screaming bargain to me. Has been for ages.

A long shot I know !
    A good takeover for ING ???

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Boy View Post
    A long shot I know !
    A good takeover for ING ???
    Can't see it. ING have been selling off cheaper properties. I think there's a place for KPF and possibly NAP. They seem to be in the cheaper end of the market - while GMT,ING, KIP, seem to try and impress the market with the big and glossy stuff. But there's plenty good pickings in lower grade properties. Sometimes better. At least these smaller companies can sell of their holdings if they want to relatively easily, but if the market is down then the really expensive buildings, malls etc can't really be sold except to other listed trusts who will be in the same boat. An assortment of big and small lpts seems sensible to me. But a lot depends on your goals. I'm not a sharetrader; just a real estate investor with a bit of an interest in these trusts as well as my own buildings - so I buy to keep - or in other words just for the income. The shares get chucked in the corner and someone will get them when I kick the bucket.

I went to the Invergumboot presentation. Only about 12 people there.
    They did'nt say much that we did'nt allready know.
    However One guy asked "what sort of hit will the ING's Div take if the depreciation
    clause is lifted by Billy Smurf". The answer was .4 of a cent. Then a bit of discussion
    about Land Tax. "Wont happen" was the answer. This guy seamed to think it could in
    selected cases. Interesting......
    If ING Div gets knocked by .4 of a cent then I wonder what the others will suffer by.
    You got any idea ??
    cheers BB

Sylvia Park mall aims to get a lot bigger
    4:00 AM Wednesday Apr 14, 2010
    Kiwi Income Property Trust has big plans for Sylvia Park. Photo / Doug SherringParties have just under three weeks to voice opinions about development around Auckland's $452 million Sylvia Park mall.

The Auckland City Council last month notified Kiwi Income Property Trust's plans to build in and up on land around its Mt Wellington mall and has called for submissions by April 30.

Kiwi wants to build a mass of offices and apartments around the 71,057sq m mall and already has permission to double the size of buildings on the site and put up 148,000sq m, expanding the existing floorspace by 76,943sq m.

But it wants that pushed out to 250,000sq m. The final 50,000sq m of that will be residential apartments.

The mall at 286 Mt Wellington Highway generates about $27 million of annual rent and has 4002 carparks.

Kiwi says this is New Zealand's largest shopping mall and that it always planned to take advantage of big plots of vacant land surrounding the long, low thin mall.

It also wants to build far taller than it is allowed and 20-level buildings could rise there soon if its plans are approved.

Sylvia Park project director Andrew Buckingham said further stages of development had been planned for some time and it was heartening that Sylvia Park featured with Onehunga and Newmarket as one of three "principal centres" of Auckland's future.

Sylvia Park's motorway, bus and train connections made it ideal for growth, he said, indicating that mall workers might be forced to bus or train to the site.

"It has now been more than a decade since planning commenced to transform the Sylvia Park site from a collection of run-down World War II storage sheds into a comprehensively planned town centre," Buckingham said. "Since October 2004, when construction started, Kiwi has invested approximately $400 million into Sylvia Park."

Now, it wants to build on the approximately 17ha of vacant land surrounding the mall, which is positioned near the centre of the 24ha site, flanked by a railway line and two motorways.

Kiwi wants height restrictions lifted, enabling it to build 20-level buildings, or up to 60m.

With its existing 71,057sq m valued at $452 million, the completion of 250,000sq m of buildings on the site could be worth about $1.54 billion. Shops are valued at much higher levels than offices or apartments but Kiwi has grand plans for its land, which it owns freehold.

It only has permission now to build up from 15m to 24m, equating to about eight levels.

Kiwi's application says it wants to increase maximum permitted heights from 15m with permission to go up to 30m, to 24m with provision to go up to 60m.

Office blocks are planned along the Mt Wellington road frontage in an area now used for mall carparking. Two blocks are up but Kiwi has sought planning permission for a further two.

Buckingham said experts who Kiwi had employed had backed the plans for intensification.

"The plan change request is supported by comprehensive expert reports covering traffic, parking, urban design, landscape and visual, open space, retail and engineering.

"Particular attention has been given to ensuring that future developing is carried out in a manner that minimises adverse effects in terms of traffic congestion.

"It is proposed to ensure that public transport use is encouraged by controlling the number of parks available to staff and through implementation of travel management plans," Buckingham said.

Early in its life, the mall caused an outcry against Kiwi. Some institutional investors were angered by the unspectacular long-term yield from the development and complained about risks involved.

They eventually forced the manager to make concessions, agreeing to manage the project "at cost".

ING (NZ) investment manager Craig Tyson thinks Kiwi is unlikely to develop at Mt Wellington without significant tenant leasing pre-commitments.

He noted Auckland officials had earmarked Kiwi's site as a new town centre but said timing rather than any immediate plans to dig might have motivated Kiwi to get its plan change application in now.

"I just don't think it's going to happen anytime soon," he said, adding that the rents needed to justify the development expansion could well price them out of many tenants' reach.

Market speculation some months ago was that Inland Revenue was examining relocating to either Sylvia Park or Highbrook.

"Ultimately, I think it would be a good location for offices and it would certainly increase the foot-flow through the centre, which is what all mall owners try to do. I just can't see it being economic anytime soon given where economic rents are," he said.

Forsyth Barr analyst Jeremy Simpson issued a note on Kiwi's prospects this month after its portfolio value fell by 0.5 per cent.

Weaker office market rents were mostly to blame for value drops, he noted.

Kiwi announced a $74 million or 3.9 per cent fall in its portfolio to $1.85 billion for the year to March 31, 2010, he noted. However, valuations only fell 0.5 per cent or $8.7 million in the last six months. That was a very encouraging sign for the property market, Simpson said.

"While Kiwi noted that cap rates have stabilised in the office portfolio, valuation falls were a result of the weaker outlook for market rents.

"These falls were offset by some gains in the retail portfolio over the last six months, in particular at Sylvia Park in Auckland and the redeveloped Plaza Shopping Centre in Palmerston North.

"We are concerned that the CBD office market will remain weak for a while as detailed in our listed property outlook published on March 25, due to expected significant increases in vacancy rates over the next three years and further pressure on market rents.

"The office sub-sector is typically the last to recover from a property cyclical downturn. Once it stabilises, it can take many years until real and sustained growth in market rents returns. Kiwi's large and unique portfolio of major shopping centres (around 60 per cent of its portfolio) will continue to help offset office weakness," he said.

Kiwi had defensive cashflows and it remained one of Forsyth Barr's preferred listed property vehicles with its focus on tightly-held prime retail, office assets and its long-term bank facilities.

"Sylvia Park has been a successful development and Kiwi's prime CBD office portfolio is relatively sound given its low vacancy," Simpsonsaid.

"However, vacancy and rent review risks will remain for CBD office property for some time," he said.

SYLVIA PARK * Where: 286 Mt Wellington Highway. * Completed: June, 2007. * Net lettable area: 71,057sq m * Car parking: 4002 spaces. * Occupancy: 99.9 per cent. * Current valuation: $452m, previously $437m. * Indicative 2010 net rental: $27.8 million. * Railway station and bus interchange. * Major Tenants: The Warehouse Extra, Pak'n Save, Hoyts, Foodtown, Borders, Dick Smith Electronics PowerHouse. Source: Kiwi Income Property Trust

Big plans for Sylvia Park
    4:00 AM Wednesday Apr 14, 2010
    High-rises could flank the mall. Photo / Kenny RodgerA $1 billion plan could almost quadruple the size of Mt Wellington's Sylvia Park and make it a new town hub.

The country's largest mall could soon be flanked by a new mini-city of high-rise apartment and office blocks, towering over nearby motorways.

Kiwi Income Property Trust, the $1.8 billion landlord, has sought permission to build a series of towers up to 20 levels or 60m on its 24ha site.

The public has until the end of this month to voice opinions about the plan, which would put Sylvia Park into the same league as Newmarket and Onehunga as a new city centre.

The Auckland City Council is examining plans which have earmarked the site for intensive further development.

Its public transport links are the gem which means it has big growth prospects.

The site, with its own train station and motorway offramp paid for by Kiwi, is bounded by the Southern Motorway, Southeastern Highway, Carbine Rd and Mt Wellington Highway.

Kiwi has emphasised the train station and bus interchange in its planning application, saying the site is ideally served by public transport links to minimise traffic confusion.

Not everyone is delighted about the scheme, and the community board is worried the huge buildings could create traffic chaos, dominate the area and overshadow existing traditional-style low-rise housing and key road links.

The vast 71,000sq m mall will be surrounded by tall apartment and office blocks for thousands more people if Kiwi gets approval to create its new town centre - a plan it has long held for the favourably-zoned site where only 7ha of the 24ha has been built on.

The mall's 4002 carparks are mainly spread around the shopping centre on ground level but it is those vast car-parking lots which Kiwi plans to capitalise on with its development.

Kiwi has told the council it might ban workers from driving to work. It would "manage" vehicles by insisting train and bus facilities were used, it says.

April 30 is the deadline for submissions on the plans.

Tamaki Community Board chairwoman Kate Sutton said she supported new investment and jobs but was worried about the height and size of buildings envisaged to surround the low-rise mall, which is only two levels at its highest point at one end.

Traffic management, intensification, bulk, visual domination and height are among concerns the board plans to raise with Kiwi.

Kate Sutton said the community needed to see how an expanded Sylvia Park town centre might look, and called on Kiwi to supply graphics or visual images.

"It's already difficult to get a carpark there on the weekend. Residential streets are directly across from the mall and McDonald's and Redwood Group have plans to build on sites nearby.

"Our concern is the effect on traffic, particularly on the South Eastern Highway because these buildings could be well above that."

Sylvia Park's project director, Andrew Buckingham, said no images had been made.

"As this is a plan change request there are no images of how the site might ultimately look. The plan change simply creates the planning framework to enable future development, which is of course subject to resource consent."

The mall, with carparking on a large part of its rooftop, was developed beneath the Southeastern Highway.

Kiwi's plans are at Auckland City's Greys Ave office, Auckland Central Library, Otahuhu Community Library and Panmure Community Library.

Big plans:

Sylvia Park's giant expansion:

* 24ha of now mostly vacant land

* Only 7ha of mall built there now

* 250,000sq m of buildings planned

* Towering offices and apartments

Copyright ©2010, APN Holdings NZ Limited

If I Had a choice of either sticking pins in my eyes or shopping at Sylvia park...it would be a veery close call.......and i am not joking...
    Last edited by troyvdh; 15-04-2010 at 11:01 PM.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by troyvdh View Post
    If I Had a choice of either sticking pins in my eyes or shopping at Sylvia park...it would be a veery close call.......and i am not joking...
    Ah, but there's nothing like a bunch of humans to attract other humans. If you do choose the pins in your eyes option could you please post a photo (for those of us who will still be able to see)