sharetrader
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default LOOKING FOR GOOD NZ & AUST BASED FUND MANAGER

Hi there... I am looking to put some money with a NZ or Australian based fund, but.. i refuse to put my money with some turkey who has his main interest being to ensure he sticks close to index or ensure he doesnt have portfolio position such that he wont be too far out of line with index. I am looking for someone who wants to achieve -absolute returns- for the investor... ie; actually managing it, rather than just accumulating it.. I have no time for someone who charges you for managing your money, then parks it against index, loses some of it, then justifies the losses by saying the index lost money as well -- or even worse ' we are legends because the index lost 10% and we only lost 9%'. I want a proper fund manager who has a set of nuts... If anyone knows of any funds that have a goal of achieving absolute returns i would be interested to hear....
    cheers

Not a recommendation, tell me of an "absolute return" manager that has hit his target, but might fit your specification -
    http://www.pmcapital.com.au/home.asp

Look at Colonial First State geared share fund

Advertise for a freelancer, offer a commission only deal based on return. Plenty of good students out there..
    http://www.kittydashwood.com - advice from a small black and white house cat, who favours a gap up on a red doji.

Share Collector

Has to have a set of nuts? I guess that eliminates us XX types then... hasn't he heard women make the best investors?

Take a look at www.platinum.com.au

I have funds invested via them although generally I do most of my own investing

They look to produce long term growth and so far they have been pretty successful and I am happy with them
    Fund values are quoted daily and everything is pretty transparent
    Their website will give you lots of info on their operations and performance
    There is a minimum investment in any fund --- currently A $ 20,000 I think

Certainly worth consideration , but do your own investigating , dont take my word for it
    Time is the great revealer

Thanks Whiteheron.. I have actually heard and read about platinum and will probably end up going thru them but just wanted to see if there were any others out there.. so i can do some comparatives etc..
    Old Rider; Check out Platinum's returns. They make the traditional fund managers look like complete novices, and with Platinum funds having returns around 20%, i am guessing they probably are hitting their targets! Far better than the bollocks being served up by the fund managers half the ma's and pa's in NZ have their hard earned savings with.
    Lizard; Apologies.. figure of speech. and no.. i hadnt heard .. nor seen any proof that women make the best investors.. Maybe i should tell the bosses where i work that.. because there are probably only 80-100 females vs about 1000 males traders here... perhaps we have the mix all wrong. Or......?

Share Collector

Just stirring. Should have been a in there...

Had just come across a book being promoted on a web-site, that, among other things, said "women make better traders". Last year we had the newspaper articles saying having a "female CEO was associated with a 35% improvement in profits and ROE over competitors". Suspect it is probably just a quality vs quantity relationship.

Kingfish (Fisher funds) could be a possibility. At least Carmel Fisher gets regular doses of our taxes to invest in the shares she likes which should be good for the prices....

Actually, why do you want to put money into NZ and Aust right now? Don't you think things look a bit risky on the currency front at existing levels?

GBP: Platinum have been very good, but have not to my memory, targeted absolute returns,in fact their returns have been quite variable, they do use short-selling and other instruments as part of their method,so in a way work like a hedge fund.

They have lost their tax advantages for NZ holders recently, their listed investment company PMC could be a choice if you like them, it has shown a slightly higher return then the unit trust structure, and has other advantages that might enhance net returns.

For my money in recent times RCP on the London SX
    has produced good returns, take a look at their charts and compare.

Whakatane sharebroker Brent Sheather, who seems to be one of the better ones, though I've never dealt with him, has a worthwhile article in today's NZHerald about NZX's TENZ fund. It has performed well and has very low management fees but is seldom recommended by brokers etc, one possible reason being that it doesn't pay trailing commissions or offer other inducements (bribes?). You can read the article on www.nzherald.co.nz