sharetrader

Threaded View

Senior Member Toulouse - Luzern's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pumice View Post
    Worst trading moment ever! buy USD/JPY at 80.115.................... minutes later..... 76.097

At least the NZD is falling fairly steadily
    14 Minute Trade

Entries from Toulouse' Trading Diary ...

Market entry on NZDUSD

• 22 Feb 2011:
    • Spent from 11.20AM to 1.19PM watching the MarketMaker charts deciding whether to bid on NZDUSD or AUDUSD
    • Selected NZD as stronger overnight performer and from TWP, DailyFX and SMH Business Day information.
    • Decided the enter on weakness ...
    • A few minutes later both stronger
    • Fall from 7626 to 7576 in 10 – 20 minutes 50 pips
    • What will happen next?
    • Entry Strategy: Decided to enter at market (7568) as previous experience of Limit buys was missing out on a rising market and spending time and energy waiting to get in later
    • Initial target and stop loss was 20 pips
    • My entry was in response to a sudden drop of NZDUSD, I did not know the reason and assumed it was just market variations
    • Before I had completed entering my OCO sell orders Mxxxxxx rang and advised me that there had been an earthquake in Christchurch of 6.2
    • Potential downside right on the entry ...
    • NZ Herald website: The Christchurch police central police station has been evacuated and there are reports of collapses of many buildings, including a church in the central city.
    • TV3 footage showed damage to the city's iconic cathedral in the square. Radio New Zealand said there had been reports of injuries
    • The quake was at 12.53PM
    • I saw the chance to enter, I didn’t know about the quake until after the entry was made
    • I was in the trade at 1.28PM
    • I was sold out at the stop at 1.42PM while I was talking on the phone with Dxxxxx who rang from Melbourne
    • In the trade 14 minutes
    • GeoNet Reference Number: 3468575
    • NZDT: Tue, Feb 22 2011 12:51 pm
    • Magnitude: 6.3
    • Depth: 5 km
    • Details: 10 km south-east of Christchurch
    • My exit was 7548 the low was 7541
    • The trade was never in profit
    • Stand aside on NZD trades until next week at least
    • There has been a recovery
    • I entered at 75688
    • I exited at 75488
    • Low was 7541
    • The current price is 75584
    • Jxxxxx, Axxxx, and Sxxxx came around ...
    • After they went noted that NZDUSD down 12 pips from 2.03PM to 2.36PM
    • The 5 minute bar I exited on was the lowest price for the day ...
    • Note RBNZ Governor due to deliver inflation expectations at 3.00PM
    • Post Trade Review:
    • From a timing point of view entered without certainty as to what caused the drop in price.
    • From previous experience it is hard to find reasons for sudden price drops beyond market variations on the web...
    • During live trades run the risk of knocking out MarketMaker while searching the web ...
    • This was a successful trade as the trade was flawlessly executed to the strategy even though the outcome was a loss.
    • Continuing to make lower Lows (30m Chart)
    • 16 pips below my exit
    • Quake hit NZX50 as well
    • Down 20 points
    • Good Outcome
    • Executed the strategy...
    • Minimised the loss (:-)

• Continues to fall ...
    • I exited at 7548
    • NZDUSD fell again to 7464/67
    • On the 4 hour lower Bollinger band
    • BNZ Daily Newsletter
    • The immediate market impact of the quake saw the NZD/USD fall ¾ cent to around 0.7560
    • Yesterday afternoon and overnight, the NZD extended its losses as the news from Christchurch continued to worsen. Heavy NZD/USD and NZD cross selling from a mix of momentum and short-term speculative accounts saw a further ¾ cent knocked off the NZD/USD and widespread weakness amongst the NZD cross rates.
    • The NZD/AUD finished the night around 0.7500, from above 0.7570 before the quake. NZD/EUR and NZD/GBP both shed over ½ cent.
    • Initial support for NZD/USD will be found at the overnight low of 0.7440, while near-term resistance will be encountered on any bounces towards 0.7550.
    Last edited by Toulouse - Luzern; 22-03-2011 at 10:36 AM. Reason: remove duplication