sharetrader

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    In my view they are either trading in a channel between roughly $9 and $14 (and just bounced back from the top) - or alternatively you could see their latest peak as forming a double top with their heights in March 2018 (which would be a more bearish signal)..
    How's your double top looking now...?

Maybe you called it a bit early, but then prediction is indeed very difficult, especially about the future... ;-)

TA is only useful to predict behavior in the absence of real information. The analysis might not have been wrong in a blinkered scenario, without the reporting it may have been the correct call

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by Lewylewylewy View Post
    TA is only useful to predict behavior in the absence of real information. The analysis might not have been wrong in a blinkered scenario, without the reporting it may have been the correct call
    ]

Understandable response from someone who knows nothing about TA. No offense intended, but ATM is and has been a TA's dream stock. Not perfectly predictable but very close to perfect. Simple stuff, trendlines, breakouts, standard indicators, it's screamed basic TA for ages. Still does.

Has any scientific research been conducted on the efficacy of TA? I have never seen any but would be keen to give a few papers a read if they exist.

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    ...but ATM is and has been a TA's dream stock. Not perfectly predictable but very close to perfect. Simple stuff, trendlines, breakouts, standard indicators, it's screamed basic TA for ages. Still does.
    It is always nice when the movement of share prices randomly aligns into patterns that keep the TA's happy.
    om mani peme hum

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patient Panda View Post
    Has any scientific research been conducted on the efficacy of TA? I have never seen any but would be keen to give a few papers a read if they exist.
    There are papers that proves it works and there are papers that proves it doesn't.
    om mani peme hum

Prior to information being provided via announcements Tealeaf Analysis is useful because with no new company information to go on, all you can do is make educated guesses or read market analysis through trades. Once you have actual information, you are better positioned to apply a valuation on the business and should no longer be basing your valuation on previously uninformed trades because that would be the action of a moron, no offense intended.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBob View Post
    How's your double top looking now...?

Maybe you called it a bit early, but then prediction is indeed very difficult, especially about the future... ;-)
    Well, there was a double peak and short after a gap and a breakout. These things happen. TA patterns are not a perfect working crystal ball, but neither is any other technique. Which method do you use? Are you always right?
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Well, there was a double peak and short after a gap and a breakout. These things happen. TA patterns are not a perfect working crystal ball, but neither is any other technique. Which method do you use? Are you always right?
    I use basic TA, with a bit of FA and input from my gutometer, and of course I am not always right - I wouldn't be on this board if I were...

I also saw the two peaks etc, but I interpreted it as a third attempt at breaching the top was on the cards. Amongst my considerations were the ASX chart where the tops were less prominent, the impending results announcement and the massive short interest, which would surely be squeezed if the results were good - which they were... 😁

Of course, if the results had disappointed, you would have had your double top...