sharetrader
    Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    So it is possible to teach an old bull new tricks, sure you can just hold and wait until the price comes back to your avg buy in price or you can be proactive and end up with more shares once it does come back up, every extra 100 shares equals 2 grand approx, you have gained money because you end up holding more shares than you originally had.
    Have been doing something similar to that in the last few years. been getting tax refunds every year. This year getting back about 6k.
    Last edited by see weed; 21-09-2020 at 08:52 AM.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by see weed View Post
    Have been doing something similar to that in the last few years. been getting tax refunds every year. This year getting back about 6k. ps sell your losses before 31 March every year and sell your gains on or after the 1 April every year. If I make 30k profit in first couple of months, then will work on making a 30k loss, but make sure I get it back in dividends. ie CEN just sent me a 20k div. and have sold all those shares since, so am not too concerned if I make a 20k loss. Can not sell a2 because it is too far in profit, but did sell 4000 a while back making 47k profit. So now will buy into a company paying a div, as long as I can get a 47k div, then I don't mind making a 47k loss after the div. Have locked in 136k profit so far this year so have the rest of the year to make a 136k loss as long as I get it back in div I am happy. The only problem sometimes I make a profit on the div shares as I did on CEN, so have to quickly buy into another company and try and make another loss. All in all am laughing all the way to the bank. And have a very good and understanding accountant.
    Am finding it very hard to loose money. Any body got some good tips.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamcatcher View Post
    As my LTH investment portfolio goes back years and cannot be used for trading.

Hence "Dreamcatcher Trading" a totally separate account which always 'pays tax' whether it buys/sells/holds its status never changes its sole purpose to make profit. Clear as mud I believe imo.
    But does IRD know about the secret Dreamcatcher LTH?

that essentially was what got me into trouble once
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Have been doing something similar to that in the last few years. been getting tax refunds every year. This year getting back about 6k.
    seems like a lot of trouble to make a loss + all the brokerage you must pay. wouldnt just buying stocks for the dividend and holding produce the same result? of no tax to pay and your save all the brokerage. + you need a significant amount more in $ to purchase enough stock to make it up in dividends to offset your trading gains.
    Last edited by bull....; 21-09-2020 at 09:31 AM.
    one step ahead of the herd

Have to say this is a very interesting conversation the past few pages regarding A2 and shares in general. Everyones perspective is quite a learning experience for me. Thanks couta1 and bull... and seeweed etc. Some very opposing views. I like it.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post

Anything purchased prior to starting trading would be fine.
    Anything done after, long term or not, could be deemed as trading as you are tainted.

Banned

Am finding it very hard to loose money. Any body got some good tips.
    The answer is right under your nose see weed, you know those A2 shares of yours which are too far in profit to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    Anything purchased prior to starting trading would be fine.
    Anything done after, long term or not, could be deemed as trading as you are tainted.
    What if the wife to have a long term holding account and the husband do the tradings on his account? So essentially two separate entities.... I am wondering if her shares are tainted too and would IRD to deem her as trader as well?
    Last edited by longy; 21-09-2020 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post

Off course they know as each identity has its own IRD number and both files returns through same accountant.

(Shares are never intermixed).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by longy View Post
    What if the wife to have a long term holding account and the husband do the tradings on his account? So essentially two separate entities.... I am wondering if her shares are tainted too and would IRD to deem her as trader as well?
    LOL a large research paper produced a few yrs ago by Auckkand Uni showed just how grey the current system really is, there were pure investors getting pinged as traders when selling and traders who were denied losses and deemed investors.