sharetrader
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by longy View Post
    What if the wife to have a long term holding account and the husband do the tradings on his account? So essentially two separate entities.... I am wondering if her shares are tainted too and would IRD to deem her as trader as well?
    You need tax advice.
    In property (and I don't see why shares would be different) husband and wife would taint each other.

Quote Originally Posted by see weed View Post
    Have been doing something similar to that in the last few years. been getting tax refunds every year. This year getting back about 6k.
    Suspect your 6k return is the amount of WT paid on dividends

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    LOL a large research paper produced a few yrs ago by Auckkand Uni showed just how grey the current system really is, there were pure investors getting pinged as traders when selling and traders who were denied losses and deemed investors.
    It sounds to me like the moral of the story is if you do your best to pay minimal tax on shares, make sure you have your calculations and thinking well documented. I'm still pretty bitter over paying the top rate on my Kiwisaver since inception while others wrongly checked the 10% box (knowingly or otherwise - surely it's a lot more black and white vs tax on shares) and have gotten away with it for years, only to see the wet government of the day do nothing about it...well if that doesn't send a message...

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by dreamcatcher View Post
    Suspect your 6k return is the amount of WT paid on dividends
    I leave that to my accountant. He got me a 17k refund couple years ago.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    The answer is right under your nose see weed, you know those A2 shares of yours which are too far in profit to sell.
    The profit on my remaining a2 was 500k plus, but is now only about 470k. I will sell bits and pieces here and there over the next few years to spread out the tax burden. But will also buy a lot more to sell at the right time.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    seems like a lot of trouble to make a loss + all the brokerage you must pay. wouldnt just buying stocks for the dividend and holding produce the same result? of no tax to pay and your save all the brokerage. + you need a significant amount more in $ to purchase enough stock to make it up in dividends to offset your trading gains.
    I get discount brokerage from ASB. Brokerage fees to me are good, it goes toward my losses. Your way, you can have your money sitting there collecting div every 6 months which is good. My way, instead of leaving it sitting there, will put it into another com. for a while and collect that div. eg get a $5,000 div every 6 months, or get two $5,000 divs. every 6 months and so on. You can buy into 10 different companies over that 6 months period and receive 10 times your $5000 div. all good which ever way you go. PS Meetup Auckland is having another share trading meeting next Thursday at 5pm if you are interested. Might be able to share more info on anything.
    Last edited by see weed; 21-09-2020 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamcatcher View Post
    Off course they know as each identity has its own IRD number and both files returns through same accountant.

(Shares are never intermixed).
    Get it now — 2 discreet legal identities
    Last edited by winner69; 22-09-2020 at 08:04 AM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Risk Manager for FTX

Just reading from Synlait " allowed us to extend our supply agreement with The a2 Milk Company to July 2025 (at the earliest), providing increased term and volume, over the products for which Synlait have exclusive supply rights for Australia, New Zealand and China"

So obviously Mataura Valley Milk either isn't in competition with them (by supplying other markets - unlikely), or they had some sort of an exemption for majority A2 owned suppliers? Seems like a bit of a contradiction.

Quote Originally Posted by see weed View Post
    I get discount brokerage from ASB.
    Hi See Weed, how do you get ASB discount brokerage fee? Do I have to apply for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Heimand View Post
    Hi See Weed, how do you get ASB discount brokerage fee? Do I have to apply for it?
    Discount applies to premium clients I think... So when you trade with them over X amount of dollar.
    Last edited by longy; 22-09-2020 at 12:27 AM.