sharetrader
    Guru

The big question is how she was entitled to such a number of shares to sell when she had hardly started the job. The directors have been too generous at the expense of shareholders.

Quote Originally Posted by Lego_Man View Post
    High income earners often gear themselves to the hilt on the basis that they'll be able to pay it back later, and can end up with quite wild swings in net worth. Personally though i'd find 5m a year quite difficult to spend, though he might have bought somewhere palatial in Sydney that needs to have debt cleared on it.
    High net worth individuals manage to reduce their debts/tax bills ....... thru various structures, instruments and overseas holdings.
    Why hasn't she?
    I don't believe the reasons give, she just wants to cash out, so she can move on in her time and on her own terms, when it suits her.
    If I am wrong, apologies to her, but then she is really crap with money.

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    The big question is how she was entitled to such a number of shares to sell when she had hardly started the job. The directors have been too generous at the expense of shareholders.
    The BOD thought she is the right person for the job. Also to compensate her for loss of income after leaving her previous role. I have no issue with CEO selling... but a large chunk when the dust is not settling down yet. A bad look and it smells off too.

Quote Originally Posted by Muppett View Post
    I don't believe the reasons give, she just wants to cash out, so she can move on in her time and on her own terms, when it suits her.
    If I am wrong, apologies to her, but then she is really crap with money.
    I have no reason to disbelieve the reason given to the financial markets. I do wonder why you need to sell 100% of shares as your financial recourse to repay debts when you would hopefully have other funding revenues and the assets you are selling would be expected to grow in value under your management.

Advanced Member

Hmm. You go away for a week completely incommunicado and all hell breaks lose. By the looks of it management didn't get a PR company to sell a story with the share sale so we are left in a vacuum rife with speculation. Not a good look for a multi-billion dollar company. Today will be knee-jerk, tomorrow will bring a clearer picture. I'm happy to stay put at the moment but my first instinct is to dump all my A2 shares for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by Muppett View Post
    Pay peanuts and you get monkeys.
    Unfortunately - if you pay lots, you often get monkeys as well. It might be just monkeys who are a bit better in pulling the wool over the eyes of an out of their depth board. Recruiting is not easy - unless your only target is to fill the seats with warm and greedy bodies.

Look at FBU, Telecom, Fonterror - how well did all these companies do in throwing multi million dollar salaries at more lor less well presented and extremely greedy, but otherwise highly incapable managers.

Sometimes I am wondering whether the boards who waste less of their shareholders funds for overpaid greed dancers are better off.

Re Mrs Hrdlicka - the jury is still out, but selling all her shares after only a couple of months in the job is hopefully not the best she is able to do for her multimillion dollar salary. Only an incapable board could have approved this deal without realising that this will end into a PR nightmare. Only a quite incapable CEO would have accepted this deal. Why didn't she ask for cash?

If this is the best board and CEO can do .... than we just need to hope that they still have been lucky despite their incompetance and that Mrs Hrdlicka is able to perform some other CEO functions (than PR) with more sensitivity and marketing knowledge.

GLTAH ... and glad I am out.
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 24-09-2018 at 10:16 AM.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

I thought it was Herd-licker, and she certainly had her slurp from the herd last Friday.
    I have been all-out since just before the big bounce from the low 11's, but am waiting to see what the real reason she sold for, and then I will buy in again.

Previously, I was excited to see a lady of apparent capability take the helm in a traditionally mans game, and seeing how her role could encourage other women with a can-do attitude to move into the industry. That excitement rapidly dissipated on Friday for me.

I do believe in the product, as a former Jetstar/Qantas staffer and being well aware of their strategies, moralities and the standards their organisation holds itself to I see she is comfortable trying to promote the same dog-eat-dog culture with A2. My confidence in the current is lost, she will need to show spark and some fantastic innovations in business direction (not investing in infrastructure capital when it is unnecessary is a good start) before my confidence is sparked again.

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    $11.80 struck. Good chance to see if there is any validity to "amateur hour".
    What’s this “amateur hour”?
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Surprised by the depth of felling on here about this issue. We often get executives selling without giving a reason.

The cruel reality often with tax is that if one gets a bounce in their income one year and one chooses safe harbor with their provisional tax at one point in time both terminal tax and provisional tax chooks can come home to roost simultaneously. When the top tax rate is 47% inclusive of Medicare levy this could mean for example at an extra $4m dollar income one year results in terminal tax of 47% = $1.88m and provisional tax of the same amount. Its become something of a comedy show that people think she hasn't taken professional advice about her tax already.
    Last edited by Beagle; 24-09-2018 at 11:03 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Here we go, Strayan market is open, down 5%.

Good luck to all you knife catchers out there.