sharetrader
Page 474 of 2376 FirstFirst ... 3744244644704714724734744754764774784845245749741474 ... LastLast
Results 4,731 to 4,740 of 23752

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger_steps_ View Post
    HAs anyone NOT recieved their SPP cash back?? I sure havent...
    I have received mine, did you select DC from Link Market Services? Otherwise, as I understand you would receive a cheque

Outside thinking.

Yep DC came into my account Monday

Quote Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
    I have received mine, did you select DC from Link Market Services? Otherwise, as I understand you would receive a cheque
    Mine Friday am

Quote Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
    Yep Paid and requested DC - although I only applied the night before the SPP closed - perhaps they are holding for x days to maximise interest...

I have not received mine yet either. I chose direct credit and they took the funds from my account via direct debit. Have just read the investment statement and they say refunds will be processed within 5 working days from allotment date, which I think gives them until Wednesday. A little peeved others have received the refund though. I went for the full 15K knowing I would be scaled, but would like the cash back so it can be deployed.

Advanced Member

No cheque in the mail here yet.When it arrives will have to wait another 5 days to clear. But the big question is, who gets to pocket the $62,000 interest made on the $36,000,000 excess @ 3% for 3 weeks? A2 should put on a $62,000 Christmas party for the SPPers
    Last edited by see weed; 01-12-2015 at 10:00 PM.

Guru

Paid mine by direct credit, so had my account and got back straight away. With my recent dealings with NZ Post, they've probably been issued and out their somewhere.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    Paid mine by direct credit, so had my account and got back straight away. With my recent dealings with NZ Post, they've probably been issued and out their somewhere.....
    Just called Link Market Services. The refund will be paid by whatever method you have set up for dividend payments, not based on how you paid for the SPP. The cheques were posted on Friday.

Well whaddya know? Here's something a bit more important than whether we've got our deposit refunds. Pardon me if I take a few moments to explain in some detail.

It's been annoounced that the government is actually pumping some money into human clinical trials researching whether the claims of digestive benefits made for A2 milk are scientifically valid.

AgResearch and The a2 Milk Company are to collaborate in trials to test whether consumption of the A2 beta casein protein averts the intestinal inflammation that is thought to be associated with the A1 casein.

A2MC chief executive Geoff Babidge and AgResearch project leader Dr Matthew Barnett say the trials should help boost exports to Asia where there is a high incidence of perceived dairy intolerance.

And Mr Babidge says government support for research into the advantages of a2 Milk is extremely important as “there is a vast number of people, particularly in Asian countries, who are missing out on the health benefits of dairy because of a perceived intolerance."

But the research also has much other even more important implications, as we’ll see in a minute.

The million-dollar project is one of seven announced by the government-funded scientific body High Value Nutrition to research projects developing the “next generation” of foods targeting the Asian market. The projects involve science and industry collaborations over three years, following a contestable funding round.

HVN research director Professor David Cameron-Smith said the aim is to make New Zealand “the Silicon Valley” for healthy food, selling to a small select percentage of the Asian population who want to buy food and beverages with validated health benefits.

It’s great to see government funding aimed at testing A2’s health claims, of course.

It’s now more than a decade since leading NZ scientist Boyd Swinburn, in a report commissioned by the NZ Food Safety Authority, advised the government that it should promote research into the merits of A2 and the potential hazards of A1 milk.

He found that already at that time there was sufficient worldwide research indicating health risks in A1 to warrant the government encouraging research into the issue, and to justify dairy farmers looking at switching their herds to A2.

But skulduggery by the Food Safety Authority resulted in these findings by Professor Swinburn being effectively buried, concealed from public and media attention. Why? Well, one reason could be that a major part of the FSA’s mandate was to certify to overseas customers that the milk products exported by Fonterra (which contained A1) were safe for consumption.

One can only speculate. But until now, neither the government nor Fonterra nor NZ universities and research institutions have shown any inclination to research the A1/A2 issue, which of course could raise interesting questions about the safety not only of Fonterra’s exports but of the dairy products marketed all round the world by other dairy producers.

Governments and health authorities are understandably scared that if questions are raised about the safety of drinking cows milk, especially by infants, this could lead to major human nutritional problems worldwide – and major economic problems for the dairy industry and countries that depend on it.

Although the award of funding for AgResearch participation in a human clinical trial of A1 versus A2 is very welcome, it should be noted that the project is not intended to touch directly upon the issue of food safety. It will look into whether milk containing the A1 protein causes digestive discomfort to some consumers, not whether it can contribute to the causation of larger medical problems.

However, the announcement does actually talk of A1 causing “intestinal inflammation” and associated symptoms. And intestinal inflammation can be a contributing factor in some very nasty medical conditions, so this is potentially linking A1 at least indirectly with disease causation.

For example, an article published in the refereed scientific journal Gastroenterology in 2011 under the heading “Intestinal Inflammation and Cancer” stated that research results provided “compelling support for the role of inflammation in colon carcinogenesis”.

That doesn’t mean you’ll automatically get colon cancer if you drink A1 milk, but it does show that scientific research is starting to point to specific connections between the A1 milk gene and big human diseases – not only cancer but also heart disease, diabetes and the autistic spectrum

The a2 Milk Company isn’t raising such scary scenarios publicly just yet, for good political, legal and commercial reasons, but they will start being noted in the media as time goes by.

An earlier collaborative study by AgResearch and a2MC, involving laboratory rats, found that food took longer to pass through the stomach and intestines of those consuming A1 than of those fed A2. This was described in a peer-reviewed scientific journal last year as consistent with the observation of digestive discomfort experienced by human consumers of A1.

Fonterra’s chief scientific officer Jeremy Hill was quoted by the NZ Herald at that time as saying this finding needed to be validated in human trials. That’s what is now about to be put to the test.