sharetrader
Page 786 of 2376 FirstFirst ... 28668673677678278378478578678778878979079683688612861786 ... LastLast
Results 7,851 to 7,860 of 23755

Nasi is loving this debate.

My understanding of pharmaceutical companies is that when they have a major scientific break through, they are able to make supernormal profits as demand increases for their product and while their patents last. Over time, demand may still increase as more players enter the market but this does tend to have a negative impact on price. I imagine pharmaceutical companies buy patents from other companies with mountains of cash produced on product A during patent period and then launch product B... and the cycle continues.

A2 are currently doing a great job building and growing a brand/product niche. Fonterra (or other) may be perfectly poised to market their own products at such time they have sufficient herds of A2 cows etc. which might be right around the time A2 patents run out. Who will fill A2's cans then? and what negotiating power might a manufacturer have?

Quote Originally Posted by Nasi Goreng View Post
    Nasi is loving this debate.

My understanding of pharmaceutical companies is that when they have a major scientific break through, they are able to make supernormal profits as demand increases for their product and while their patents last. Over time, demand may still increase as more players enter the market but this does tend to have a negative impact on price. I imagine pharmaceutical companies buy patents from other companies with mountains of cash produced on product A during patent period and then launch product B... and the cycle continues.

A2 are currently doing a great job building and growing a brand/product niche. Fonterra (or other) may be perfectly poised to market their own products at such time they have sufficient herds of A2 cows etc. which might be right around the time A2 patents run out. Who will fill A2's cans then? and what negotiating power might a manufacturer have?
    A2MC patents do not prohibit anyone from selling their own milk free of the A1 protein currently.

The issue with Lion was their product had more than trace amounts of A1 ... with a massive sticker on the front saying:
    "naturally contains A2"

A2MC own an incredible trademark
    Last edited by hardt; 26-02-2018 at 12:51 PM.

yep, I will repeat for the third time I think, that you cannot patent A2 milk.
    You can only patent a process to test the cow and find out what type of milk it will produce.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    yep, I will repeat for the third time I think, that you cannot patent A2 milk.
    You can only patent a process to test the cow and find out what type of milk it will produce.
    Yep, just about how you sell/brand/market it.

<Insert User Title>

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    Yep, just about how you sell/brand/market it.
    And majority of these companies love to push the boundaries on marketing.

"yep, I will repeat for the third time I think, that you cannot patent A2 milk.
    You can only patent a process to test the cow and find out what type of milk it will produce."

Sorry peat, but I believe you're wrong. They're not patenting the product but the BRAND, "A2"
    Have you noticed that Fonterra have been very careful to avoid the use of that name? That's what the law suit with Lion is all about ( that Lion claims to have "A2 "in their product ). Look at Coca Cola, nobody else is allowed to use that name, but there are plenty of cola based fizzy drinks on the market.
    This is a very powerful marketing advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by greenglass View Post
    "yep, I will repeat for the third time I think, that you cannot patent A2 milk.
    You can only patent a process to test the cow and find out what type of milk it will produce."

Sorry peat, but I believe you're wrong. They're not patenting the product but the BRAND, "A2"
    Have you noticed that Fonterra have been very careful to avoid the use of that name? That's what the law suit with Lion is all about ( that Lion claims to have "A2 "in their product ). Look at Coca Cola, nobody else is allowed to use that name, but there are plenty of cola based fizzy drinks on the market.
    Either way A2 sounds like an inferior product to A1

Quote Originally Posted by greenglass View Post

It may be, sure.
    But, ultimately someone else can sell the same product and attribute it with the same benefits even though it has to be called something else.
    Samsung didnt have to call their phone the Iphone for it to catch on. (even though they ripped it off completely). And now Samsung corner the smartphone market by numbers I think.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    It may be, sure.
    But, ultimately someone else can sell the same product and attribute it with the same benefits even though it has to be called something else.
    Samsung didnt have to call their phone the Iphone for it to catch on. (even though they ripped it off completely). And now Samsung corner the smartphone market by numbers I think.
    ATM has first mover advantage and all that goes with that, will be years away before any other player could threaten their position, current holders are making hay while the sun is shining and will have large haystacks before that time comes.
    Last edited by couta1; 27-02-2018 at 07:47 AM.

Branding is so key in the IF market. I wouldn't be too worried about the patents.