sharetrader
Page 799 of 2376 FirstFirst ... 29969974978979579679779879980080180280380984989912991799 ... LastLast
Results 7,981 to 7,990 of 23754
    Investor

Latest from Prof Woodford...nice read, bit long though.

https://www.interest.co.nz/rural-new...ks-alternative

looks like a2 trade wars are in fashion
    one step ahead of the herd

Banned

Great top up opportunity before the next run up. Let's do this.

Sharp drop before lunch triggered my sell and took a third of my holding off the table...

I guess seeing as there is no introduction thread I might as well introduce myself here. I am an at home investor with a modest portfolio that I have been growing for the last 10 years. I currently hold ATM (50%), SUM (23%), FPH (14%), THL (10%), BLT (2%), BSR.ASX (1%). I generally invest with a long-term view of 10+ years although I have had a shift in focus over the last 3 months and am about to take most, if not all, of it off the table in the next 12 months to build a house and keep my mortgage affordable.

Outside of investing I spend my spare time hunting, spearfishing and doing what my wife wants.

Cheers,
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkus View Post
    Sharp drop before lunch triggered my sell and took a third of my holding off the table...

I guess seeing as there is no introduction thread I might as well introduce myself here. I am an at home investor with a modest portfolio that I have been growing for the last 10 years. I currently hold ATM (50%), SUM (23%), FPH (14%), THL (10%), BLT (2%), BSR.ASX (1%). I generally invest with a long-term view of 10+ years although I have had a shift in focus over the last 3 months and am about to take most, if not all, of it off the table in the next 12 months to build a house and keep my mortgage affordable.

Outside of investing I spend my spare time hunting, spearfishing and doing what my wife wants.

Cheers,
    Adam
    Welcome to the forum ... and hey - we have even our very own introduction forum, which is here: https://www.sharetrader.co.nz/forumd...to-ShareTrader ;

Not sure though I understand the "stop loss" for ATM - I guess the SP is still well above the EMA 30 ... feels a bit tight for a long term investor and a stock which sometimes comes even close to the EMA 100. ; But hey - it is your money and if you need it for better things ...

Otherwise - ATM is notorious for rapid up and down swings ... I am sure the shorters have again a field day in the ASX. Setting too tight stops for ATM makes just the brokers and the shorters happy. Never mind about the brokers, but we don't want to see happy shorters - do we?

Discl: holding ATM (L), and this is one of the shares I didn't set stops on ...
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Welcome to the forum ... and hey - we have even our very own introduction forum, which is here: https://www.sharetrader.co.nz/forumd...to-ShareTrader ;

Not sure though I understand the "stop loss" for ATM - I guess the SP is still well above the EMA 30 ... feels a bit tight for a long term investor and a stock which sometimes comes even close to the EMA 100. ; But hey - it is your money and if you need it for better things ...

Otherwise - ATM is notorious for rapid up and down swings ... I am sure the shorters have again a field day in the ASX. Setting too tight stops for ATM makes just the brokers and the shorters happy. Never mind about the brokers, but we don't want to see happy shorters - do we?

Discl: holding ATM (L), and this is one of the shares I didn't set stops on ...
    I guess the thought process on the stop for ATM was that I have been in since 53c and added another bundle at $1310 after the recent jump off the back of the announcements around Fonterra and Synlait. Once it had consolidated (in my head anyway) north of $1350, I set a stop at my buy price to give me some piece of mind on what felt more like a punt on collective enthusiasm rather than a well-considered technical analysis. Net result is I am down by the cost of brokerage on the trade and looking to put that money somewhere slightly less volatile.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkus View Post
    I guess the thought process on the stop for ATM was that I have been in since 53c and added another bundle at $1310 after the recent jump off the back of the announcements around Fonterra and Synlait. Once it had consolidated (in my head anyway) north of $1350, I set a stop at my buy price to give me some piece of mind on what felt more like a punt on collective enthusiasm rather than a well-considered technical analysis. Net result is I am down by the cost of brokerage on the trade and looking to put that money somewhere slightly less volatile.
    No need to explain - we all make our own decisions and hey, if you started at 53 cents, than your overall return is truly colossal! As well - just noticed your overall holding in ATM (50%) - probably anyway a good idea to somewhat diversify and as well pretty sure couta is glad you sold some (to him) ; All good - sounds like a win-win!
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    Great top up opportunity before the next run up. Let's do this.
    LOL that's really worked its way into the vocab now hasn't it. I did a really good impersonation of a possum in the headlights with this one today, looked at it when it was down at $13.09, pontificated over it, mulled it over, paralysis by analysis. Unlike the Beagle to issue a meow instead of a woof one way or the other but this one is fairly volatile and I feel we need some more colour, (Winner says this is the hot new term to show you really know what you're talking about) on 2H sales before pushing above $14.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    LOL that's really worked its way into the vocab now hasn't it. I did a really good impersonation of a possum in the headlights with this one today, looked at it when it was down at $13.09, pontificated over it, mulled it over, paralysis by analysis. Unlike the Beagle to issue a meow instead of a woof one way or the other but this one is fairly volatile and I feel we need some more colour, (Winner says this is the hot new term to show you really know what you're talking about) on 2H sales before pushing above $14.
    Well I must thank Jacinda for her motivating catch phrase, worked a treat yesterday for picking up some more of these beauties at the one day sale.PS-Get ready to pounce at the next sale Mr Beagle.