sharetrader

Quote Originally Posted by dreamcatcher View Post
    Management may choose to announce a buy-back or dividend which should add wings to the stock..........
    Personally I’d prefer they didn’t, I feel the share price will recover without that intervention.
    I guess the time will come when the cash on hand reaches a level which warrants commencement of a dividend, but I’d prefer they invest the money in acquisitions which will provide future growth.
    That being said, it’s all very well for them to say they can invest the money more wisely than shareholders for a better return, but it’s yet to be seen what they intend to spend it on. The Mataura valley purchase and consumer packaging expansion barely dents the cash on hand, considering it was $850+ million at last update, and has likely increased since the last annual report.

Guru

what is the ratio of containers going back to china empty or full of exports. it appears US exports have been left on the docks since july, 3 in 4 containers are back to china empty as china takes it containers back as fast as it can.

Quote Originally Posted by Left field View Post
    ....I guess what we have been talking about is 'picking the bottom' of a downtrend because at some stage a 'sell' often becomes a 'buy'.

I'm not prepared to call this the 'bottom' .....
    I'm in a skeptical mood about the capacity of TA to predict anything. You can tell what the sentiment was and maybe that can be useful in trying to guess what the sentiment will be (like the weather, if it was raining an hour ago there is a better than average probability that it will be raining in an hours time) but that is the most you can get out of reading the tea leaves, is it not? There is momentum in one direction untill enough people change their silly minds and then there is momentum in the other direction for a while.

Outside thinking.

TA works well for me (most of the time)..... must say I haven't tried tea leaves. Prefer coffee.

Each to his/her own.

Meanwhile some deck chair shuffling at A2. Susan Massasso leaving..... but not really leaving 'cos she will stay on as an 'advisor' (no doubt a well paid advisor.) Interesting times.

Meanwhile interesting times for funds funding shorters.
    Last edited by Leftfield; 28-01-2021 at 10:07 AM.

Guru

its everything... the Baltic D.

the empty containers...

the defaults in the BM's.

Quote Originally Posted by Left field View Post
    TA works well for me (most of the time)..... must say I haven't tried tea leaves. Prefer coffee.....
    Yeah, coffee gives a more optimistic prediction.

Confused why you guys are trying to read tea leaves when theres an important announcement that we’re losing our Susan.

almost as bad as losing Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Slothbear View Post
    Confused why you guys are trying to read tea leaves when theres an important announcement that we’re losing our Susan.

almost as bad as losing Geoff
    We’ve known since last year when she announced she would be leaving. Today’s announcement simply confirms the date.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregnz View Post
    We’ve known since last year when she announced she would be leaving. Today’s announcement simply confirms the date.
    Also, she's not really leaving, just getting paid more for more flexible working conditions, clever Susan.

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    Also, she's not really leaving, just getting paid more for more flexible working conditions, clever Susan.
    yes, must admit today’s news is good. Last years news suggested she was leaving completely. Today’s news reaffirms she’s remaining in an advisory capacity.

I expect when the new CEO starts, he will most likely want to bring some of his own people on, this happens in most large organisations with a change of CEO.