sharetrader

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    There's no money in Africa, even the Jewel in it's crown(South Africa) is quickly heading toward becoming another Zimbabwe courtesy of the ruling ANC.
    Why then is TM in Africa as I post this, in fact:
    "Theresa May has announced plans to boost Britain's investment in Africa after Brexit, during her first trip to the continent as prime minister" (BBC 28/8/2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Muppett View Post
    "Theresa May has announced plans to boost Britain's investment in Africa after Brexit, during her first trip to the continent as prime minister" (BBC 28/8/2018)
    Britain is going to have money to invest after Brexit? Maybe she is looking at her future.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Muppett View Post
    She may have plans to put a bit in meanwhile other countries are pulling funds out especially in South Africa, so more is coming out than going in.

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Britain is going to have money to invest after Brexit? Maybe she is looking at her future.
    Does Britain still suffer from mad cow disease?
    If so, A2 milk could be a solution.

Hi guys,

I've been following this thread (along with the others that are relevant to my portfolio) for a long time now but I don't post because I feel like an idiot, so please be nice. I'm interested in people's opinions on where ATM is headed in the short term, although I guess the definition of "short term" depends on your trading horizon but I need to pick an exit in the next little while. I am an investor with a modest holding of ATM, which because of its recent success makes up nearly half my portfolio. I got in early (53c) and got a few more at $2.10 so have done really nicely and would love to hold on tight and continue to ride it north, however I am building a house and want to knock as much off the mortgage as I can (I know in the long run I will make more out of ATM than I will pay in interest but really need to keep the mortgage small in order to service it). So long story short - I will be selling down my entire portfolio over the next six months, herein lies the question. Am I going to be better off holding on as long as I can and hope that on the day/week/month I need the money the price is better than it is today, or do I pick a good number (and I don't know what a good number looks like at the moment) and jump ship when that happens?

I understand the basics of how fundamental and technical analysis works and seem to be doing okay despite the fact I am not an expert in either and don't use either to their potential.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers,
    Adam
    Last edited by Dorkus; 29-08-2018 at 10:40 AM.

seems to be tracking nicely from the breakout , see balamy result is out now for reading
    one step ahead of the herd

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkus View Post
    Hi guys,

Am I going to be better off holding on as long as I can and hope that on the day/week/month I need the money the price is better than it is today, or do I pick a good number (and I don't know what a good number looks like at the moment) and jump ship when that happens?

I understand the basics of how fundamental and technical analysis works and seem to be doing okay despite the fact I am not an expert in either and don't use either to their potential.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers,
    Adam
    Sell it at the price you wanted no matter how outrageous it is, but that price is yours to decide

mtge free house and then shares was always my thinking , now i borrow against the house to buy shares lol
    one step ahead of the herd

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkus View Post
    Hi guys,

I've been following this thread (along with the others that are relevant to my portfolio) for a long time now but I don't post because I feel like an idiot, so please be nice. I'm interested in people's opinions on where ATM is headed in the short term, although I guess the definition of "short term" depends on your trading horizon but I need to pick an exit in the next little while. I am an investor with a modest holding of ATM, which because of its recent success makes up nearly half my portfolio. I got in early (53c) and got a few more at $2.10 so have done really nicely and would love to hold on tight and continue to ride it north, however I am building a house and want to knock as much off the mortgage as I can (I know in the long run I will make more out of ATM than I will pay in interest but really need to keep the mortgage small in order to service it). So long story short - I will be selling down my entire portfolio over the next six months, herein lies the question. Am I going to be better off holding on as long as I can and hope that on the day/week/month I need the money the price is better than it is today, or do I pick a good number (and I don't know what a good number looks like at the moment) and jump ship when that happens?

What are your thoughts?

Cheers,
    Adam
    Congrats on an excellent hold. My high-level approach would be to sell sooner, rather than later as you have a specific need for the money. It's been on a good run since the profit announcement and may continue as people re-rate the stock. There is also likely to be more passive fund buying as ATM enters a FTSE mid-cap index over the next month. At a more detail level, my TA says it should meet resistance around $14.00. Ideally, you run a Trailing Stop Loss so that you benefit from continued moves up (if any) but protect the downside. The challenge is setting the stop level so that you don't get stopped out on one of the wild intra-day swings we regularly see. It is always easier to sell in a rising market than a downdraft, so leave a few cents for the next guy. Another approach could be to aim to sell say 20% each month for next 5 months, with a stop-loss around each tranche. That way you will likely get a good average, no matter which way the market goes.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    mtge free house and then shares was always my thinking , now i borrow against the house to buy shares lol
    Same but I now see the wisdom of using the equity in your house in the market, especially in a low interest rate environment.