sharetrader

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    mtge free house and then shares was always my thinking , now i borrow against the house to buy shares lol
    Hi Bull,

1st ever post, I've been reading for awhile now.

Is it wise to borrow against house to buy shares? I'm new to shares too.

Appreciate your thoughts.

mtge free house and then shares was always my thinking , now i borrow against the house to buy shares lol
    Same boat. I only started this year because the ASB started charging me for make extra mortgage payments so I though I'd stick my spare cash on the stock market. Next thing I was emptying the revolving credit account. So far this year I am up about 2 months pay (which sounds impressive except I don't get much pay!). So what began as cursing the bank turned into a why didn't they do that 2 years earlier!

Adam - I would work out how much you want and work backwards to the share price that will give you that exit strategy.
    Last edited by Timesurfer; 29-08-2018 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by dameofdiv View Post
    Hi Bull,

1st ever post, I've been reading for awhile now.

Is it wise to borrow against house to buy shares? I'm new to shares too.

Appreciate your thoughts.
    im no investment advisor , but my thinking for me was i had all this equity in the house which wasnt earning anything so as long as a wasnt silly in how much i borrowed at 5% (cheaper than a margin loan) and i invested in good div shares they would pay off my loan over time and i might make some growth as well. i started doing this in 2008 by the way i wouldnt do it now as the market has run a long way since then. i might do it again after the next crash though.
    one step ahead of the herd

by the way i wouldnt do it now as the market has run a long way since then. i might do it again after the next crash though.
    I agree entirely... I have built my portfolio over the last 10yrs and am not prepared to risk it with where I see global markets heading in the medium term. There will still be money to be made when this bull cycle turns bear but you will have to be a lot more careful than over the last few years, especially if you have bet the house on it. My 2C.

i started doing this in 2008 by the way i wouldnt do it now as the market has run a long way since then. i might do it again after the next crash though.
    Very wise and agree. I guess I will be fearful now and be greedy afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkus View Post
    There will still be money to be made when this bull cycle turns bear but you will have to be a lot more careful than over the last few years, especially if you have bet the house on it. My 2C.
    I wouldn't bet the house - but the spare room ...

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkus View Post
    Hi guys,

I've been following this thread (along with the others that are relevant to my portfolio) for a long time now but I don't post because I feel like an idiot, so please be nice. I'm interested in people's opinions on where ATM is headed in the short term, although I guess the definition of "short term" depends on your trading horizon but I need to pick an exit in the next little while. I am an investor with a modest holding of ATM, which because of its recent success makes up nearly half my portfolio. I got in early (53c) and got a few more at $2.10 so have done really nicely and would love to hold on tight and continue to ride it north, however I am building a house and want to knock as much off the mortgage as I can (I know in the long run I will make more out of ATM than I will pay in interest but really need to keep the mortgage small in order to service it). So long story short - I will be selling down my entire portfolio over the next six months, herein lies the question. Am I going to be better off holding on as long as I can and hope that on the day/week/month I need the money the price is better than it is today, or do I pick a good number (and I don't know what a good number looks like at the moment) and jump ship when that happens?

I understand the basics of how fundamental and technical analysis works and seem to be doing okay despite the fact I am not an expert in either and don't use either to their potential.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers,
    Adam
    Who knows ? The world is a very uncertain place. Anything from China getting upset with Winston to a biological issue with our dairy herd could affect them.

If it was me....I would put in a sell price...say 12.99 ...and sit back and see what happens. If they didn't sell in say 3/4 weeks...I would ease it back a bit. Getting mortgage free / or under control is important, especially if interest rates start to go up. If they sold I would be very happy with myself even if they continue to increase a bit. You have done really well with them. Congratulations/
    Once your mortgage is where you want it....you can always make another decision then with respect to investing in the market.

Well done.
    Good luck.
    RTM

My advice to my clients is you should aim to be mortgage free no later than 55. Getting too long in the tooth to take risks with one's home after that and that includes using one's home equity to borrow on other rental properties. With only 10-15 years to go till retirement one is best to avoid leverage altogether after 55 in my opinion. Obviously people don't pay off mortgages overnight so its best to have a goal of being debt free by 55 and work towards it.

Debt is a good tool to build wealth with in your 20's, 30's and 40's in my opinion but like all things, in moderation. (my 2 cents)
    Oh. Borrowing to buy a fancy boat is not smart debt...take a word from the wise who has been there and done that in their 30's.
    Last edited by Beagle; 29-08-2018 at 11:32 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dameofdiv View Post
    Very wise and agree. I guess I will be fearful now and be greedy afterwards.
    Depends on how much your borrowings are as a percentage of your total portfolio, mine are about 15 %. Borrowing at 5% or under is fine in the current market, by the time you claim the interest as an expense your still going to do well by placing the money in solid high divvy yielding companies.

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    Depends on how much your borrowings are as a percentage of your total portfolio, mine are about 15 %. Borrowing at 5% or under is fine in the current market, by the time you claim the interest as an expense your still going to do well by placing the money in solid high divvy yielding companies.
    Currently none of my portfolio is from borrowing. Taken note of your percentage, interesting. Yes at the end of the day, if the returns can cover the cost of borrowing, I guess its still making money. High divvy stocks recently at their highs though, am I right?