sharetrader

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Have you considered pulling the losers from the bottom drawer and getting rid of them and keeping a little of your winners instead ? That would certainly be my preference !
    The problem is I have 500K shares in losers that total value is about $9k...
    $9k doesn't buy much ATM and I think one day they will/might be worth something. For the money, it is worth holding on to them (for me anyway) in the hope that they one day take off. If it was the difference between being able to pay the mortgage or not then I'd definitely be cashing them up, but at ~3% of my portfolio it's not really worth it.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkus View Post
    $9k doesn't buy much ATM and I think one day they will/might be worth something. For the money, it is worth holding on to them (for me anyway) in the hope that they one day take off. If it was the difference between being able to pay the mortgage or not then I'd definitely be cashing them up, but at ~3% of my portfolio it's not really worth it.
    Fair enough. I’d point out though that $9k of losers will buy you $9k of ATM or other winners. The market certainly appears to be favouring quality growth stocks and in my view ATM,FPH,SML,SUM,HBL,MFT and THL (more risky) fit that criteria.

But only you know your personal situation so ignore us and stick to your own well considered conviction.
    You’ve obviously done well so good on you

$9k doesn't buy much ATM and I think one day they will/might be worth something. For the money, it is worth holding on to them (for me anyway) in the hope that they one day take off. .
    Hope isnt a great investment strategy. I've hadmy losers. Held onto them in hope. Hope got me nowhere - other than them becoming worth evn less.

Think of it this way. When your loosers do (if!) start to turn how much do you expect them to increase in value. 10%. 20%, 50%? and in what sort of timeframe. 1 year. 2 years, 5 years?

Howabout cashing up and putting them into something that gives you confidence will increase. Eg I have every confidence, based on available information, that ATM will be worth $20 within my 5 year window. I sold PPH (after loosing confidence) and put the money into ATM. In 20 days they have gone up $2.52 or 24%. In the meantime PPH has gone up 7%. Why would I want PPH in my bottom drawer?

Looks like we've had our moment of wealth. With profit takers now pillaging our new found gains.

I once bought some some shares and they dropped in price so i bought some more and then they dropped so i bought some more and so on till i had 160,000 for $80,000 but they kept dropping but the hole was getting deeper so I stopped digging, but dreams can come true and the price started to climb so when they got to around 85 cents I decided to sell and was ready to put guru along side my name...only trouble was this company became a big seller of some odd milk powder to China...aussie sales took off and now there starting in America...you may have heard of them...why didn't I sell half and keep half....so if your valueless shares do take off,don't rush to sell...did I learn..hell no,had 1500 xero shares for 75 cents each and sold when they doubled in price...some guru eh....still sun still comes up every morning

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Looks like we've had our moment of wealth. With profit takers now pillaging our new found gains.
    Been out all morning helping Mrs Beagle and came back fully expecting a reasonable pullback as after 3 straight days of meteoric gains it simply doesn't seem plausible we'll get another one. Stocks seldom go up steeply in a straight line. Pleasantly surprised things tracking along so nicely which augers well for the future as this stock has a history of being like a whores drawers.
    Last edited by Beagle; 30-08-2018 at 01:41 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Pleasantly surprised things tracking along so nicely which augers well for the future as this stock has a history of being like a whores drawers.
    I dont mind - as long as each time she pulls them up higher and tighter and stops them going lower thanlast time

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy415 View Post
    I once bought some some shares and they dropped in price so i bought some more and then they dropped so i bought some more and so on till i had 160,000 for $80,000 but they kept dropping but the hole was getting deeper so I stopped digging, but dreams can come true and the price started to climb so when they got to around 85 cents I decided to sell and was ready to put guru along side my name...only trouble was this company became a big seller of some odd milk powder to China...aussie sales took off and now there starting in America...you may have heard of them...why didn't I sell half and keep half....so if your valueless shares do take off,don't rush to sell...did I learn..hell no,had 1500 xero shares for 75 cents each and sold when they doubled in price...some guru eh....still sun still comes up every morning
    I know the feeling. Like you, I now know never to sell ALL my shares of a winner. Yes get your money back and some profit, but dont dump them. When I look back over my 25 odd years of sharemarket investing, I'm pleased with most of my well considered purchases. Not as pleased with some of my emotionally charged sales. We live and learn

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Hope isnt a great investment strategy. I've hadmy losers. Held onto them in hope. Hope got me nowhere - other than them becoming worth evn less.

Think of it this way. When your loosers do (if!) start to turn how much do you expect them to increase in value. 10%. 20%, 50%? and in what sort of timeframe. 1 year. 2 years, 5 years?

Howabout cashing up and putting them into something that gives you confidence will increase. Eg I have every confidence, based on available information, that ATM will be worth $20 within my 5 year window. I sold PPH (after loosing confidence) and put the money into ATM. In 20 days they have gone up $2.52 or 24%. In the meantime PPH has gone up 7%. Why would I want PPH in my bottom drawer?
    You wouldn't - in hindsight. But a long time ago, I put a small proportion of my portfolio into PEB, PLX, BLT, and ATM. I was punting on a small loss against a big win. I got lucky, or something. Now I look at the red for the first three and console myself with the massive gain on ATM. I have put the first three "punt"s in the bottom drawer because the brokerage on getting out at this stage is a significant proportion of the value that remains, and any one of them could go ballistic at some stage in the future. I would acknowledge that this is gambling rather than investing, but ATM dealt me a royal flush. .

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I know the feeling. Like you, I now know never to sell ALL my shares of a winner.
    Theres more good advice. A few years back had to fund the build of a house. Shares went on the block. But not all of them. Kept a few back. This is my Portfolio One. All (except oneshare) have returned over 300% over time since then. The other, RYM has remained on a stella trajectory