sharetrader

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    He was right - the technicals did suggest more price weakness to come!
    It's like the Lawyer always says to you : You have a 80% chances of winning the case

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    None of your downramping/trolling to push your own agenda is going to make one scrap of difference to where the sp of this company will be a year from now, I have a seven figured sum invested and are fully researched and confident that long term the returns will be outstanding, I'm not interested in a short term myopic viewpoint, I think the same about my other big holding HLG.
    Human psychology is a curious thing my friend. I find myself when at times I have an oversized position in a company its very easy to get myopic vision myself. The other thing that tends to happen is confirmation bias where one consciously or subconsciously simply ignores negative information. I see many posts on here from holders of large positions which indicates this propensity towards myopic vision and confirmation bias are widespread and common tendencies. I avoid grossly excessive positions now days because I find its very difficult to be objective, dispassionate and non emotional. Quite apart from that I believe excessively large positions invoke significant additional risk to one's portfolio and it may be best to sit back and ask oneself why am I taking excessive risk by being concentrated in just a few stocks ? Is it greed, gross recklessness or what is it that drives one to do this ?
    There is almost universal agreement amongst investment professionals that a well diversified portfolio gives the optimum balance between risk and return...however that doesn't stop some people from thinking they know better. Good luck, you're going to need it to get out of this hole you dug for yourself. I'll leave you alone to lick your wounds for a while.
    Last edited by Beagle; 07-11-2019 at 10:39 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Human psychology is a curious thing my friend. I find myself when at times I have an oversized position in a company its very easy to get myopic vision myself. The other thing that tends to happen is confirmation bias where one consciously or subconsciously simply ignores negative information. I see many posts on here from holders of large positions which indicates this propensity towards myopic vision and confirmation bias are widespread and common tendencies. I avoid grossly excessive positions now days because I find its very difficult to be objective, dispassionate and non emotional. Quite apart from that I believe excessively large positions invoke significant additional risk to one's portfolio and it may be best to sit back and ask oneself why am I taking excessive risk by being concentrated in just a few stocks ? Is it greed, gross recklessness or what is it that drives one to do this ?
    There is almost universal agreement amongst investment professionals that a well diversified portfolio gives the optimum balance between risk and return...however that doesn't stop some people from thinking they know better. Good luck, you're going to need it to get out of this hole you dug for yourself. I'll leave you alone to lick your wounds for a while.
    Courage of conviction, based upon proper research and insights, can be another reason for taking a big position. Hope all of us do it from time to time.

You still holding your exposure in ATM shares via Kingfisher funds?
    Last edited by Balance; 07-11-2019 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Courage of conviction, based upon proper research and insights, can be another reason for taking a big position.

You still holding your exposure in ATM shares via Kingfisher funds?
    Kingfish's approach of having 60% of their investments in their top 5 stocks, and only 15 selections, after long and very thoughtful reflection does not sit especially comfortably with me. Barramundi is spread over approx. 25 stocks and their biggest position is about 7% (top 5 positions total about 30%). Fair to say there's a vastly higher number of growth stocks on the ASX than the NZX. Its become very clear to me that seeing as I pick most of my NZX stocks myself, (and won't pick individual overseas stocks), I can achieve vastly better portfolio diversification by investing in Barramundi and Marlin.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    Apple is still doing OK Dobby. Maybe that's a valid analogy.
    Hope so for holders.
    Yip Apple is doing OK but are they doing as OK as they would if they didn't have the competition they do now?
    There was a time where Apple was IT but they are now one of many.
    So ATM will still do OK but they aren't the only name in the game now.

Advanced Member

You could compare ATM to RYM and any other A2 producer as SUM or OCA. Ryman are valued higher for their own reasons and the same will apply to ATM. That is only my opinion and how I feel describes people’s perception will be when A2 is mentioned in the future.

Banned

Sorry Beagle but I never would have been the runner I was or the skier I am with your outlook, with big risk comes big rewards that's my mantra, go hard or go home your not here for long.

Sorry Beagle but I never would have been the runner I was or the skier I am with your outlook, with big risk comes big rewards that's my mantra, go hard or go home your not here for long.
    I have sold all my holdings and re-invested in this stock(just have one stock on my portfolio)...Bought until yesterday on dips..

Go long or go home...i concur too...

Advanced Member

Up 32c in last hour, is this the start of the long upward climb? Good buying in the low 12.20s this morning.

Unless, you're Mungar, Buffett, or Mark Cuban and have an incredible ability to pick stocks and investments, I think a good deal of diversification is important. Of course, even these guys are way more diversified than you. Even Jim Cramer recommends 10 to 15 stocks and this is considered a pretty narrow, aggressive, approach.

Since retiring I've definitely become more conservative in my investing outlook. I assume you're down $300K or more on this investment from what you've written? If you win big here (and I hope you do because most NZ investors have exposure to A2M in some way) will you hang up your boots and think "gee, that was lucky"? I would. I'd be heading for the index and ETF hills.

As Buffett says, don't bet the farm.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...A1N1H520140224
    Last edited by Bobdn; 07-11-2019 at 01:20 PM.