sharetrader

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    Exactly, its basically shorting your own shares, done in a controlled manner it is an excellent strategy and a good way to stay positive during difficult times.
    So how can you take this approach and continually call out shorters as being immoral etc. as you have done multiple times on this thread. You're still causing the same selling pressure on the way down right? Not giving you stick, just genuinely interested.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sampson View Post
    So how can you take this approach and continually call out shorters as being immoral etc. as you have done multiple times on this thread. You're still causing the same selling pressure on the way down right? Not giving you stick, just genuinely interested.
    Shorting your own shares is not the same as the likes of Citi or UBS loaning out many millions of shares with the sole purpose of manipulating the market, the number of shares im selling daily has no effect on the market but I take your point ,however its blatant manipulation combined with downgrading /downramping which I call immoral.
    Last edited by couta1; 18-09-2020 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sampson View Post
    exactly , was always quick to slap down shorters and hello now we know the truth he was forcing the price down himself.
    all the while deceiving the people on here that he was the white knight who would save them from the big bad bull shorting the stock lol.

probably short now for all we know
    Last edited by bull....; 18-09-2020 at 01:55 PM.
    one step ahead of the herd

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclical View Post
    Let's say you've been busy trading since April the 1st and in that time you'd realised a $100k gain (we'll run with easy numbers for argument's sake). You're in the top tax bracket, so you're currently staring down the barrel of a $33k tax bill for your trading efforts. You've got $1m worth of ATM stock with an average buy of $20/share. It pulls back to $18, you sell, booking a loss of $100k. You buy back in tomorrow at about the same price. You've still got the same assets (capital) as you had the day before, plus you won't be paying a $33k tax bill next year. Meanwhile the shares are at $25 come March 31 next year, but you won't be selling them, so still no tax.

Have I got that right, Couta? Beagle, you're our resident accountant, no? Am I off the mark?
    you still would have to pay tax at some stage , just in a different year and it would be more tax than your 33k example cause you made more. so its all relative. unless your claiming tax losses and then not declaring your tax on the gain. that would be naughty.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    exactly , was always quick to slap down shorters and hello now we know the truth he was forcing the price down himself.
    all the while deceiving the people on here that he was the white knight who would save them from the big bad bull shorting the stock lol
    Your so full of it bull, 1.2 mill A2 shares have sold on the NZX today and I sold 2k, even in your wildest imagination you couldn't call that forcing the price down, the difference between us bull is I'm straight up with no hidden motives or agendas.
    Last edited by couta1; 18-09-2020 at 05:17 PM.

I don't trade but recently set up a third account for that purpose. My understanding of trading is you pay trade on any capital gain off set by any losses and while some say if I don't sell the gains then NO TAX. But eventually you will sell booking a gain then pay tax......... simply put one can use a yearly starting cash profit/loss balance for holdings and pay/refund tax accordingly?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dreamcatcher View Post
    I don't trade but recently set up a third account for that purpose. My understanding of trading is you pay trade on any capital gain off set by any losses and while some say if I don't sell the gains then NO TAX. But eventually you will sell booking a gain then pay tax......... simply put one can use a yearly starting cash profit/loss balance for holdings and pay/refund tax accordingly?
    Probably best this topic is taken to the off market section but as an aside you are confusing trading profit with capital gain on a long term hold, the latter is not taxable under current NZ law.

Probably best this topic is taken to the off market section but as an aside you are confusing trading profit with capital gain on a long term hold, the latter is not taxable under current NZ law.
    if your a trader your a trader no matter the lenght of time held unless i believe separate entities are used and kept that way. so your pay tax no matter what.

Currently using three accounts so as not to confuse holdings........ but correct its off-topic here.

Advanced Member

Yep downrampers and non holders conveniently forget where this stock has come from and lack vision to see where its heading to, of course as you have kindly pointed out we know that is $25.

2 days ago you sounded pretty enthusiastic about where the SP was heading, & critical of those expressing caution.
    Doesn't quite square up with what it appears you were actually thinking, i.e. the reverse, expecting the price to drop (& therefore selling & rebuying at a lower price).
    Or have I missed something?