sharetrader
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Motley Crew View Post
    Absolutely correct. This is a long term growth stock, not a short term trading stock. Anyone buying it for the latter will inevitably get their fingers burnt. While the SP will likely continue to drift off until the value proposition returns, this is still one of the best companies on the NZX for future returns. Take a look at the SP chart over the last 2 years - 2018 hit $14, fell 36% to $9. Then 100% gain to $18 in 2019 before 32% fall to $12.25. Then 76% gain to $21.50 before current retreat. Each of these retreats presents a great buying opportunity to top up and ride the next wave up. If you are a long term holder (as I am - average buy in $5.30) these dips are just great. So many commentators on this forum getting their knickers in a twist over some short term (and I mean 12 months - see the SP charts) weakness. Hold and add to your holding if you believe in this company and don't try to time your exit and re-entry points - you will inevitably be too late to jump back in when the better news comes out. If you like technical analysis wait for the shorter end trends to stabilise and begin to firm - that may yet be some time away. The bottom line is these lower SP levels are eventual buying opportunities. Where else in this market can you find relatively easy potential 30% upside in a blue chip company ? Greedy traders might look for those returns over a shorter time horizon, but how many are actually successful ? With a 187% return over 3 years at today's SP, I will biding my time until the signals look good, and will be topping up my holding. Nothing better than making the same money twice on the same price rise as previously, with a greater share holding. instead of agonising over what is now past history, start looking forward to the opportunities ahead, and recognise them when they present themselves....
    Thank you for your excellent post, as you have correctly highlighted this stock has previously had annual falls from it's highs of up to 36%, this fact seems to be too hard for the knockers/trolls and down rampers to grasp. PS-36% off the latest high equals $13.91.
    Last edited by couta1; 29-09-2020 at 07:13 AM.

The stock is a cornerstone large long-term holding with a very low average cost of five dollars. The question to be asked I think ,is this a structural issue or not? I believe it’s not and have brought more.

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    Thank you for your excellent post, as you have correctly highlighted this stock has previously had annual falls from it's highs of up to 36%, this fact seems to be too hard for the knockers/trolls and down rampers to grasp. PS-36% off the latest high equals $13.91.
    I can't help, but somehow it feels you are ways too much emotionally involved in this stock, which does seem to impact on the manners. Too many eggs in just one basket? Personally I try to avoid these situations by diversification, but if your doctor says that high blood pressure is good for you, then don't change anything :

People who are stating that the SP is (currently) in the doldrums and might go lower are just stating the obvious - they are neither downrampers nor trolls. People who noticed this annual share price pattern which may or may not repeat this year don't need to be greedy traders - maybe they are just clever investors? Of course - the pattern might change, and in this case they missed a chance and need to pick another one. Benefit of hindsight - as always - will clear it up.

I can see good reasons for holding this stock as well as for selling high and buying back in low. Different strategies, and sometimes one and sometimes the other turns out to be more successful. No need to loose ones countenance.

From a personal perspective - I would not have bought at recent highs, but if it drops a bit more I might be tempted. However - I don't see ATM (from here) as a safe bet to becoming rich - even if it might have worked that way in the past ... but this is the thing about past performance not guaranteeing future performance. They might well keep growing as they did in the past (though there are some laws of nature making fast movements more difficult if you are big ...) or they might get caught in one of Trumpets trade wars. Who knows?
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    I can't help, but somehow it feels you are ways too much emotionally involved in this stock, which does seem to impact on the manners. Too many eggs in just one basket? Personally I try to avoid these situations by diversification, but if your doctor says that high blood pressure is good for you, then don't change anything :

People who are stating that the SP is (currently) in the doldrums and might go lower are just stating the obvious - they are neither downrampers nor trolls. People who noticed this annual share price pattern which may or may not repeat this year don't need to be greedy traders - maybe they are just clever investors? Of course - the pattern might change, and in this case they missed a chance and need to pick another one. Benefit of hindsight - as always - will clear it up.

I can see good reasons for holding this stock as well as for selling high and buying back in low. Different strategies, and sometimes one and sometimes the other turns out to be more successful. No need to loose ones countenance.

From a personal perspective - I would not have bought at recent highs, but if it drops a bit more I might be tempted. However - I don't see ATM (from here) as a safe bet to becoming rich - even if it might have worked that way in the past ... but this is the thing about past performance not guaranteeing future performance. They might well keep growing as they did in the past (though there are some laws of nature making fast movements more difficult if you are big ...) or they might get caught in one of Trumpets trade wars. Who knows?
    I have excellent blood pressure for a 59 yr old at 115/65 so my emotions can't be too far out of check. PS-Yes there are some genuine counter posts but then again there are many that are not as I stated in my above post, their motives define them.
    Last edited by couta1; 29-09-2020 at 10:29 AM.

I have excellent blood pressure for a 59 yr old at 115/65 so my emotions can't be too far out of check.
    ...and what I have seen a happy mindset

Back from skiing yet
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    ...and what I have seen a happy mindset

Back from skiing yet
    Yep but looking to get a few more days in at Turoa.

Banned

Actually this thread is still pretty good compared to the A2m thread over on hotcopper, every Troll in creation has come out if the woodwork over there, you need a double barreled Trollgun to make any progress.

I love reading this thread, learning so much. Cheers guys

Likewise have been learning heaps and enjoy the banter back and forth.

I have excellent blood pressure for a 59 yr old at 115/65 so my emotions can't be too far out of check. PS-Yes there are some genuine counter posts but then again there are many that are not as I stated in my above post, their motives define them.
    Hey Couta. You sound like my twin ! 59yrs and BP of 118/75. I don't lose any sleep holding quality, with some good yielders in there to keep the bank account topped up. My big winner has been XRO with initial average buy in after participating in SPP's of $1.81. Keep up the good work