sharetrader
    Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Gregnz View Post
    Yes, but isnt the fact that our cows are grass fed one of the reasons the world likes our dairy? I wonder if there is a way to engineer a grass variety which creates less methane after consumption.

I can just imagine it, as a result of a methane reduction target, we start planting and harvesting grain and convert our herds to grain fed (if it produces less methane). One step forward, two steps backwards.
    Lots of time & money being spent in the science industry on that. I am sure science & engineering will fix issues like this as well as most climate change issues in general in the future rather than silly do-gooders politicians that have no frigging idea..

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Lots of time & money being spent in the science industry on that. I am sure science & engineering will fix issues like this as well as most climate change issues in general in the future rather than silly do-gooders politicians that have no frigging idea..
    The solution is already there without cutting cow numbers
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/clima...e/?arc404=true

Quote Originally Posted by kiora View Post
    Ex dairy farmer, 7 years ago I was quite excited by UK trials on a garlic product reducing methane with resulting increases in milk and liveweight over 25% in all ruminants (the methane is wasted energy). Like the mythical lawnmower running on water, went nowhere. Targets would easily be met if there was enough motivation to do more than talk. PS every time I lowered cow numbers I increased production and profitability.

Guru

Prof Keith latest article, about Sir Bob Elliot and some of the background on A2 - Page 23

Farmers Weekly NZ February 1 2021 by Farmers Weekly NZ - Issuu

Quote Originally Posted by kiora View Post
    seaweed definitely seems like a potential solution to add into the mix. I just wonder what emissions are involved in harvesting it in bulk as feed for livestock.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    Prof Keith latest article, about Sir Bob Elliot and some of the background on A2 - Page 23

Farmers Weekly NZ February 1 2021 by Farmers Weekly NZ - Issuu
    Great article. I also took interest at the article on NZ dairy farmers leading the way in climate emissions on page 7.
    Based on that article, we already have the lowest methane emissions in the world as a result of feeding livestock grass.
    Yet our government wants to reduce our herd numbers? If we already produce dairy with the lowest environmental impact in the world, wouldn’t it make sense to increase our herd numbers and produce more dairy here vs countries with a much less efficient farming sector?

Smells a bit like another Tiwai point , close down production here where we produce the worlds cleanest aluminium, and produce more of it offshore where the environmental impact is more significant as a result of burning coal to supply electricity.
    Also reminds me of the stance our government is taking towards natural gas. Stop extracting it here, and import it from overseas where they have to ship it here using a diesel powered ship, and to manufacture it offshore they burn coal!

Great article. I also took interest at the article on NZ dairy farmers leading the way in climate emissions on page 7.
    Based on that article, we already have the lowest methane emissions in the world as a result of feeding livestock grass.
    Yet our government wants to reduce our herd numbers? If we already produce dairy with the lowest environmental impact in the world, wouldn’t it make sense to increase our herd numbers and produce more dairy here vs countries with a much less efficient farming sector?

Smells a bit like another Tiwai point , close down production here where we produce the worlds cleanest aluminium, and produce more of it offshore where the environmental impact is more significant as a result of burning coal to supply electricity.
    Also reminds me of the stance our government is taking towards natural gas. Stop extracting it here, and import it from overseas where they have to ship it here using a diesel powered ship, and to manufacture it offshore they burn coal!
    You just don’t get it greg

Rod Carr (Chair of CCC) just compared Food producers in NZ with Whale hunters. When asked if he accepted that our farmers were the most carbon efficient in the world he said something like ‘Being the best whale hunters doesn’t make it good’
    Last edited by winner69; 01-02-2021 at 11:05 AM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    You just don’t get it greg

Rod Carr (Chair of CCC) just compared Food producers in NZ with Whale hunters. When asked if he accepted that our farmers were the most carbon efficient in the world he said something like ‘Being the best whale hunters doesn’t make it good’
    Omg, he actually did! What a nutter.

Attachment 12266

Attachment 12267
    Last edited by Gregnz; 01-02-2021 at 11:27 AM.

Advanced Member

Omg, he actually did! What a nutter.

Attachment 12266

Attachment 12267
    Clearly he lives with his head in the clouds.

How does it end up that our politicians are so out of touch with reality, that their proposed climate initiatives actually have the opposite affect to what the world is trying to achieve.
    Im no scientist, no politician, if normal everyday people like me are questioning these things, I’m very concerned at what our future holds.