sharetrader
Page 955 of 2376 FirstFirst ... 4558559059459519529539549559569579589599651005105514551955 ... LastLast
Results 9,541 to 9,550 of 23755

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    Contrary views are fine, it's your motives I question, what are you trying to achieve other than what you have stated, to wind people up.
    fine i will not comment on a2 anymore obviously making money by being short is so unethical.
    one step ahead of the herd

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    fine i will not comment on a2 anymore obviously making money by being short is so unethical.
    Struth.......it can't be unethical as ethics is to do with rules, codes practice etc...but it could be argued it's unmoral.

Shorting is definitely a key part of any share trading. Nothing unethical IMO. But please be less antagonism toward other members' comments.

Advanced Member

Read posts 7582 to 7703 on 21/2/18 and remember why we are all in this together. PS am taking this opportunity to top up many more thousands as the sp drops.

Quote Originally Posted by see weed View Post
    Read posts 7582 to 7703 on 21/2/18 and remember why we are all in this together. PS am taking this opportunity to top up many more thousands as the sp drops.
    Thanks Seeweed to reassure me(if not all of us..)...and i did read the posts.I still feel this stock will leapfrog TA's by a mile just on the back of its positive sentiment.

Disc-Holding and topping up during the past week.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by carrom74 View Post
    Thanks Seeweed to reassure me(if not all of us..)...and i did read the posts.I still feel this stock will leapfrog TA's by a mile just on the back of its positive sentiment.

Disc-Holding and topping up during the past week.
    I sold a third of my holding down today, it's now about 23% of my portfolio total. I'm off to chase divvys with the proceeds.

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Today was just noise

You young guys read the bit below .... if attention span a bit low the message is Over a very short time period, one typically observes the variability of the portfolio, and not the returns. Our emotions are incapable of distinguishing between the two, and panic or disappointment can easily set in.

Instead of finding it in Talebs book and typing it out google found it for me
    http://www.financialplanningsouthafr...trategies.html

Nassim Taleb, in his book, Fooled by Randomness, imagines a fictitious retired dentist who employs long term investment strategies and expects to earn investment returns of 15% over time on his portfolio, with an error rate (or “volatility”) of 10% a year.

From a statistical point of view, if one assumes a normal distribution for simplicity, it means that out of every 100 observations of investment performance we would expect that close to 68 of them would fall within a band of plus and minus 10% around the expected return of 15% (they would fall between 5% and 25% just over two-thirds of the time).

A 15% return with a 10% volatility per year translates into a 93% probability of success (a positive return) in any given year. Taleb points out, however, that the probability of success reduces as the time scale narrows.

For example, there would be a 67% probability of success with a one-month time frame, and only a 54% probability of success if the time frame is reduced to one day. This is common sense: in the very short term anything can happen. It takes time, or an increased number of observations, for the average long-term trend to emerge.

If the retired dentist monitored his long term investment portfolio every minute in an eight-hour day, he would on average have 241 pleasurable (positive return) observations against 239 unpleasurable (negative return) observations.

There is an old adage in the financial advice industry...

...an investor experiences the pain of a loss with twice the intensity of the pleasure of a gain!

This unfortunate dentist would probably end every day emotionally drained, stressed and uncertain about his investment strategy. The chances of a poor investment decision, based largely on emotion, are high.

If the dentist examines his long term investment portfolio every month (perhaps he gets a monthly valuation statement). As 67% of his months will be positive, he incurs only four unpleasurable observations, and eight pleasurable observations.

There is still a good chance of a poor decision - remember that it is possible that he could experience a few negative months in a row. It takes a strong investor not to panic in a situation like this.

If he could extend his time scale to one year (where the portfolio’s performance is assessed in an annual review with a financial advisor, for example) then the picture changes dramatically. He will in all likelihood experience only one unpleasant year out of every 20. The chances of making a bad investment decision, based on emotion, are now very low.

It is important to note that the overall investment returns are identical in the above examples (the same set of data has been used - it is just the time frames that have been changed).

Over a very short time period, one typically observes the variability of the portfolio, and not the returns. Our emotions are incapable of distinguishing between the two, and panic or disappointment can easily set in.
    I was randomly jumping pages from many moons ago and saw the above comment jump out from W69.

I have been seriously thinking about banking recent gains of my NZX stock in general, even considering going 100% cash in bank, but perhaps I'll take the above advice and give it another week or two.

Hoping for a faux bear.

That would be grand!

Membaa

No don't go, it's great to hear about trading strategies that make money in both directions. It is a skill to be using the instruments that are available and completely legitimate.

Investment strategies is a separate section of this forum and is the right place to discuss varying investment strategies in my opinion.
    Last edited by Beagle; 19-07-2018 at 05:06 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine