sharetrader
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Guru

Yes David

Breakout time and about time! And no one much is selling. They have around the same amount as JBM. So it's not overly diluted.

But I expect MCR to go harder though, more good news of Nickel [}][}]finds today, an early increae in reserves and Mr Moore has his presentation tomorrow at the Miners and Diggers Conference in Kal.

I'm in Kal hence the time diffence, Mon 2030 over here, but I'm working unfortunately. Next year I'll have to make it an issue to go.

Kal has a huge display that shows the gold, nickel and OZ$\US$ price you can see from 200 metres away.

Cheers [B)][}]

G'day Tricha,

Was just wondering if you were planning on catching the Arafura presie tomorrow... about 11am i think from memory...?

No sweat if you weren't going to make it, but since i can't be there... would be interested to here from someone who might get to see it??

Cheers,

Moonshine
    You are what you eat... so don\'t tell me that i told you to eat it!

DYOR.

Guru

Another great week for Nickel stocks.

Great to see the nickel price back to $20,000 OZ last night.

Another rumour of the day for IGO on Thursday, W A News.

RUMOUR OF THE DAY
    AS EXPECTED THE TONGUES ARE WELL AND TRUELY WAGGING AT RESOURSES SCHMOOZIE THAT IS DEALERS AND DIGGERS.
    WORD FROM THE CAMP YESTERDAY WAS THAT CANADIAN NICKEL PRODUCER LIONORE MINING HAS GOT ARGONAUT CAPITAL PREPARING A $2 PER SHARE BID FOR KAMBALDA NICKEL MINER INDEPENDENCE GROUP.

A new broker report out on IGO under their web site!

I'm picking no one is going for IGO, because of their off take agreement with BHP and the fact BHP released more groung to IGO.
    Maybe BHP could buy them out to get their mine back, but why bother when they are still making money out of it this way.

Hence I sold half my IGO on Friday morning and bought another 30,000 Mincor.
    Expect Mincor to out perform IGO in the short term and expect to see a good div announced next week!

And took another gamble and bought 30,000 FOX. Now this ones is a takeover possibility.

Cheers [B)][}]

P.S IGO is still a great company with an excellent future.Hold IGO, MCR core investment, they are earning great money and paying div, BRW, TIR, MRX, FXR pure gambles.

agm up to 15c looking strong will see 18c soon
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Guru

Will the nickel boom never bust?
    Source: Ferret

See also:
    Nickel Board
    Nickel CatalogSince late 2001 nickel prices have been on a dizzying upward trend, peaking at US$17,770/t in early 2004, and most analysts expect prices to remain high and volatile for at least another 12 months.

The price boom has been underpinned by two key factors: the slow growth of primary nickel supply, coinciding with massive growth in Chinese consumption.

The origins of the supply problem go back to the mid-1990s. Inco had completed the purchase of the Voisey's Bay deposit, and according to the original plan the operation was due to be producing about 122,000tpa of nickel by mid-1999.

At the same time, the first generation of pressure acid leaching (PAL) projects in Australia were being developed. The Cawse, Bulong and Anaconda (Murrin Murrin) operations were expected to come on stream at the end of the decade and were scheduled to be producing around 60,000tpa of nickel by 2000.

As it turned out, Voisey's Bay was delayed by a series of political and economic issues, and is now not scheduled to start production until late 2005 – and even then only at a rate of 60,000tpa. The three PAL operations did start production at the end of the 1990s but have not produced at original projected levels. Bulong shut in 2003, with the other two producing about 37,000t of nickel in 2004.

That these operations did not produce at expected rates had a massive impact on nickel supply. But they also had a big impact on investment in the rest of the nickel industry: the general belief was that low capital costs at the new PAL operations, coupled with operating costs of well below US$1/lb, signalled a revolution in the industry's cost structure.

The way perceptions of long-term nickel prices changed during the 1990s illustrates the impact of the new technology. At the start of the decade, the industry was typically using US$4/lb as its long term planning price. By the end of the decade, however, figures of US$3.00-3.25/lb were common.

For existing producers, the anticipated decline in industry costs meant that cost cutting inevitably became the focus of attention. In any case, new projects were simply not viable on the basis of the new lower long-term price assumptions.

The result was investment in other new capacity was also curtailed, which has meant supply has been unable to keep pace with the growth in demand.

However, the cut back in investment might not have become such an issue but for the emergence of China as a major nickel consumer. As recently as 1999, China was consuming only 48,000tpa of primary nickel, under 5% of global consumption.

But Chinese consumption picked up dramatically in 2000 and has continued growing rapidly ever since.

Between 1999 and 2004, the country's consumption almost tripled, taking its share of the global market to more than 11%.

The combination of slow-growing supply and fast-growing demand has resulted in stocks of nickel declining steadily over the last few years, reducing the stock-consumption ratio to its lowest ever level.

Little wonder prices have been so high.

The market has responded to high prices in a variety of ways. On the demand side, there has been some limited substitution away from nickel. In particular, there has been some switch away from conventional 300-series stainless steel into ferritic stainless (non-nickel containing), and in Asia, into 200-series stainless (containing low levels of nickel).

Past experience suggests most of this substitution will be reversed, with consumers moving back into the 300-series once nickel prices fall. On the supply side, there are now indications that investment in new capacity is gathering pace.

Inevitably it is the big projects that have attracted the most attention, though only one major greenfield operation – Voisey's Bay – will be on stream in the next two years. Two other large projects have received the go-ahead: BHP Billiton's Ravensthorpe 50,000tpa nickel mine and associated expansion of the Yabulu refinery

Guru

Wink JBM, a blast from the past, exceptional results.

HOME > BASE METALS
    BASE METALS

DIGGERS AND DEALERS
    Bonanza nickel grades continue for Xstrata’s Cosmos project

The purchase of Australia’s richest grade nickel operations by Xstrata plc (LSE: XTE) was achieved during a strong price phase for nickel metal and while the commodity price hit a year low during Diggers & Dealers the news for the big global mining house was good.
    Author: Ross Louthean
    Posted: Friday , 08 Aug 2008

PERTH -
    Delegates attending this year's Diggers & Dealers Forum in Kalgoorlie went away shaking their heads at the ongoing spectacular exploration results from the Cosmos nickel project in Western Australia's north eastern goldfields.
    Xstrata had purchased these properties and corporate assets of Jubilee Mines late last year for $A3.1 billion ($US2.76 B), a deal that earned Jubilee's CEO Kerry Harmanis this year's Dealers award at the Kalgoorlie conference.
    While hindsight would say it was a high price, there were few experienced market analysts and nickel miners believe the dip in the nickel price to near $US8/lb during the conference was little more than a short-term aberration - aided in part with the slow down in nickel imports to China during the Olympics.
    But any reservations about Xstrata's buy was counter-weighted by results released by Xstrata Nickel Australasia's chief financial officer Shaun Usmar and geology and business manager Peter Langworthy's conference finale presentation.
    Delegates were told that the exploration and resource development budget at the operations at Cosmos, Sinclair, Cunyu and other joint ventures this year would total $A50 M ($US44.6 M) and the exploration blueprint for the next four to five years would see $A200 M ($US178.4 M) spent - "one of the largest exploration programmes in the Australian mining industry."
    Drilling below the established and planned mine developments at Cosmos has shown up a series of new orebodies and the drill hits in one zone included 10 metres grading 8.5% nickel, 4.5m @ 8.7% Ni and 28m @ 9.5% Ni, while to the west the drill hits included 17m @ 3.4% Ni.
    In the AM5 zone a high grade disseminated target will soon have a resource estimate. Latest bit hits included 78m @ 2.5% Ni and 138m @ 2.6% Ni.
    This was, said Shaun Usmar, the heart of one of Australia's most prospective and productive nickel sulphide regions that was a "relatively immature province versus other world class nickel camps such as Norilsk and Sudbury."
    There was 15 kilometres strike of prospective ultramafic. with opportunities for high tenor-high grade deposits as well as opportunities for bulk, low-grade deposits.
    Further south, the Sinclair deposit has 1.9 million tonnes @ 2.5% Ni and this is advancing to a September commissioning. The Sinclair leases take in 40 km of ultramafic belt that is largely untested and two discoveries south of Sinclair - Skye and Stirling - are showing both near surface and significant plunge potential.
    Well north of Cosmos, and north of the Wiluna gold mining camp, Xstrata Nickel is exploring the Cunyu prospect which is seen as a Voisey's Bay style mafic intrusive for nickel-copper and platinum group metals.
    '''''''''''''''''''''''
    '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QovBLFZhQME

Thumbs up Onya WSA!

And I take it you noticed Tricha that our old favourite, Western Areas, got Digger of the year.

http://www.stocknessmonster.com/news...E=ASX&N=417045

Investor

Commentary from the Sydney Morning Herald:

http://business.smh.com.au/business/...0810-3t09.html

Yep.

Guru

Just when I thought they are getting exceptionally cheap. Just when I was getting ready to buy some, hmm.

Nickel Plunging on Biggest Glut in 4 Years

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...rd-demand.html
    '''''''''''''''''''''''
    '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QovBLFZhQME

special needs

thats ok, couldnt be better timing. friends of mine in the mines in oz, been a good source of info previously. apprarently nickel is next to go. they even thnking of reopening the old nickel miones in kalgoorlie.

this is a good starting pointing, anyone lese know of early NI producers please?