sharetrader
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What you got??

Banned

Default What you got??

Hello all

I am interested in peoples qualifications if any and invite everyone, for the benefit of all STer's which of the many possible paths, you have taken. I ask as I am about to embark on a graduate diploma in Finance due to my interest (fostered initially by ST) in share markets. Completed a BSC in 99. Never touched on the subject formally but have strong interests in many areas of finance and am pretty excited to have the opportunity to get the ole grey matter up and running again. If you have no formal qualification we would be just as interested to know how long you've been in the game and the attention you have given your investments since.

Thanks to all

Hi Studson,

I'm one of those people who is quite intrigued to know about other posters as well, such as their background, what they do, how long they've been investing, age etc etc. I've seen a couple of threads along these lines already so you will find some info about others in those. Good luck with your course.

Anyway, in response to what you wrote...

I have a Bach of Eng (Electronic) and Bach of Computer Science double degree - chose that as a naive 17 year old and for some reason stuck with it! Did programming for a year out of uni and hated it!! Been in a technical sales role for the last 6 years.

I'm self-taught with regards to finance and investing, and that's what I'm interested in. Biggest influence on my approach to investing in the share market is Warren Buffett, except I like high dividend yields as well as healthy EPS growth.

NZIM CertMgt, NZDipBus. Both pretty useless, though diploma had a few useful things e.g. tax, company law etc etc

though now am cuttin the bull crap and goin hard to finish a Bachelor in Business Studies with massey...extra mural. Majoring in Finance of course. Ideally I'll do some post grad. Eventually want to get into forex as a career, probably end up in a bank graduate program.

Studson - what university u doin the grad dip at?
    If it's massey feel free to email me, i've done quite a few finance papers etc there (had initially started with a graddip in personal financial planning but credited over to full degree.

Banned

Thanks guys. Keep it coming.

Like you wns, I have a degree that is not particularly useful, nor which I want to persue, although I enjoyed learning about them there fundamental building blocks, but really only see the possibility of a tech sales role to pull a decent salary [xx(]. You may understand me more so, if you have a science background although this is not always the case and good paying employment opps do occasionally come up in this field. Also like you, I was 17 when I enrolled and stuck it out. 27 now (you were right rocking! [B)])and need some more direction and I have found it!! []

Zyreon, I think the papers will offer me a swag of useful, tools, models and skills which I am anxious to employ. I'm studying at the Uni of Waikato starting Mon 18th and dropping the work hours back. First papers are L2 Electronic Finance and L3 Portfolios and Markets more or part time in the B semester and full time over summer and next years A semester. All over and done with in 12 months. Sweet. If its ok I'd still appreciate the offer you made wrt (with respect to) emailing you if I have any questions re my papers?? I will probably post the tricky and more interesting questions/problems on ST to give others the opportunity to show their skills - could be fun!.

Good luck with your degree!. Education and re-education is where its at my friend, be it formal or informal!!

Good weekend to all. Outta here like Kerry Packer!!! [][]

Share Collector

B. Tech, 1987. 10 years in Food Industry, 8 yrs rocking the cradle and playing the shares. Currently doing Massey extramural Dip Bus Stud. (Financial Planning) to fill a few gaps.

Share Collector

i.e. Bored Housewife

Two advanced trade certificates and a Diploma in Life

studeson, do u tink it is really worth it?

im currently doing a BPHARM, at Auckland, was thinking of doing a gradate dip in finance..

howeva looking at my sisters papers... nearly 3/4 of the papers are junk ... as i wont be working at a bank etc etc.

what we want is investing skillz , to be honest ur beta off buying books on teh subject as i have found.

although i am tinking instead of finance, to do management and marketing , it will come handle when i apply to manage a pharmacy
    Oil - NZO
    REE - ARU
    Copper - EQN/OXR/TMR
    Iron- AGO/ADY/UMC
    Nickel-WSA
    PGM/Gold - PLA/VRE

I've got a pair of threes.

Banned

Halelop: poor hand
    Dazza often having an interest (sharemarket) quite separate from your profession (dispensing drugs to the unsuspecting ) is a good idea.
    Studson: great thread

Me: a Bachelor of Commerce and Management from Lincoln University - the best little University in the world. Oh and did I mention a Diploma in Drinking as well (it was a busy few years )