sharetrader
Page 176 of 240 FirstFirst ... 76126166172173174175176177178179180186226 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,760 of 2400

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    The Administrator and owner of ST has asked people not copy & paste full texts from articles on access controlled sites They can get into trouble if this site is used for such plagiarism but posting a paragraph with a link to the article or referencing where it is taken from, seems to be OK. Subscribers of the Herald or other websites, are also breaking the law by doing so.
    New Zealand copyright laws apply. It is not o.k. to publish anything copyrighted without consent of the copyright owner, however under the "fair use-rules" (fairly used from Consumer NZ) is it allowed to:

Q: Can I make "fair use" of material in New Zealand?
    A: Yes you can. But our copyright law defines "fair use" more specifically. It applies only to copying for the purpose of criticism, review, news reporting, research or private study.
    A court decision some years ago limited "fair use" according to the above rules to not more than 10% of the original ...
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Guru

https://www.nzx.com/announcements/357656

Today's results confirm the dividend is simply not sustainable... they are paying out 97% of free cash flow... How the dividend will increase in the near future is beyond me, and the dividend is one of the few things supporting the current fairly high share price.

Quote Originally Posted by trader_jackson View Post

Today's results confirm the dividend is simply not sustainable... they are paying out 97% of free cash flow... How the dividend will increase in the near future is beyond me, and the dividend is one of the few things supporting the current fairly high share price.
    I am just happy that a dividend is being paid!

As to the future… From what I’ve seen outlined in the annual report contact energy is on the right track. I’m happy to continue holding

Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    I am just happy that a dividend is being paid!

As to the future… From what I’ve seen outlined in the annual report contact energy is on the right track. I’m happy to continue holding
    i mentioned on the power shares thread a while ago that peak dividends had been met , but the fact they are able to maintain them in a bad year is truely a reflection of a well run company.
    one step ahead of the herd

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    i mentioned on the power shares thread a while ago that peak dividends had been met , but the fact they are able to maintain them in a bad year is truely a reflection of a well run company.
    Not sure borrowing to pay dividends is a reflection of a "well run" company...
    Gearing was 31.4% at 30 June 2020, up from 28.3% at 30 June 2019, and $46m more was borrowed in FY20. It was either cut the final dividend by about a third, or borrow more... the "well run" company decided to borrow more. Not sure borrowing more and more to pay increasing (or even maintain) dividends is a great thing long term for a utility...
    Last edited by trader_jackson; 10-08-2020 at 09:27 AM.

Not sure borrowing to pay dividends is a reflection of a "well run" company...
    Gearing was 31.4% at 30 June 2020, up from 28.3% at 30 June 2019, and $46m more was borrowed in FY20. It was either cut the final dividend by about a third, or borrow more... the "well run" company decided to borrow more. Not sure borrowing more and more to pay increasing (or even maintain) dividends is a great thing long term for a utility...
    46m was borrowed for investments so that is good borrowing

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    46m was borrowed for investments so that is good borrowing
    But they could have paid a smaller dividend and not needed to borrow anything?
    Nice spin that is for sure.
    I note market consensus was (an already low) $459m EBITDA... actual came in at $451m... bit like borrowing to fund dividends, not sure how the market would view this as good news, but maybe.

But they could have paid a smaller dividend and not needed to borrow anything?
    Nice spin that is for sure.
    I note market consensus was (an already low) $459m EBITDA... actual came in at $451m... bit like borrowing to fund dividends, not sure how the market would view this as good news, but maybe.
    guess they could have paid a smaller dividend if they wanted to save lots of money , but whats the point it would be detrimental to the company when they dont need too. in fact all the power companies dont need to save lots of money at this point in time as ther is no need for very large capital investments .

Dilettante

I topped up a little recently on the assumption we will have 30c annual dividend in the next few years, which I think will be sustainable. That is still a pretty good return in today's world

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by see weed View Post
    It is still going on, end of day shenanigans. Have been buying in bits and pieces on close the last couple of days to get av. price down and hopping they don't drop the div too much. The yld is looking good at 6% plus. Best time to buy is on close lately, but will probably do the opposite tomorrow. Anyone on here topping up at these lower levels?
    From post 1700--14/7/20. Closing price that day $5.60c. Am happy with that little gamble and looking forward to nice big divy soon.
    Last edited by see weed; 10-08-2020 at 10:15 AM.