sharetrader
Page 162 of 240 FirstFirst ... 62112152158159160161162163164165166172212 ... LastLast
Results 1,611 to 1,620 of 2400
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Winston001 View Post
    Just a thought. I live in Central Otago and so far this year, the snowfall is light. Very light.

The primary base for Contact is hydro dams and right now I'm wondering if there will be a lean year. Shallow lakes and not much generation.

Any thoughts?
    IMO this will ply havoc with the spot market later on this year.

big increases today!

Missed by that much

Quote Originally Posted by Winston001 View Post
    Just a thought. I live in Central Otago and so far this year, the snowfall is light. Very light.

The primary base for Contact is hydro dams and right now I'm wondering if there will be a lean year. Shallow lakes and not much generation.

Any thoughts?
    The snow pack is around 70% of normal for this time of year, but there are still 2 months left in the snow accumulation season.

Hydro is around a third of Contact's portfolio, Geothermal around a third and Thermal around a third. So a good mix overall.

http://nzx-prod-s7fsd7f98s.s3-websit...910/305078.pdf

Very strong result and targeting the same 39 cps annual divvy payout next year.
    Dividends are imputed to 65% so the maths looks like this, 28% corporate rate x 65% = effective imputation rate of 18.2%.
    39 / 0.818 = 47.68 cps gross per annum. On $8.30 that gives a gross yield of 5.75% and presently trades cum the final 23 cps divvy.
    On the theoretical ex divvy price of approx. $8.07, 47.68 cps gives a gross yield that appears to be sustainable of 5.94%.

Not too shabby at all for a safe gentailier.

http://www.sharechat.co.nz/article/9...ngs-up-12.html
    Last edited by Beagle; 12-08-2019 at 09:48 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Dilettante

Only read the highlights so far but not much there not to like. Operating and capital expenditure down and now well under control and the all important operating free cashflow up to a cool $ 341 mill, up 13%. FY divie up 20%.
    As you say Beagle, nothing wrong with these boring old Gentailers

good result , muted re action probably de to the spike in stock price last week. anyway see anz have reduced term deposit rates under 3%

ANZ leads the way with cuts to all its term deposit offers with most of the popular terms now well below 3%. The outlook is for more reductions and other banks following

https://www.interest.co.nz/personal-...terms-now-well
    one step ahead of the herd

Missed by that much

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Only read the highlights so far but not much there not to like. ...
    Looks like the market doesn't like the result. The best result from CEN in years sees the SP drop 9 c so far. The way that it increased so rapidly over the previous week does suggest that there may have been sufficient insider trading to see that the result was fully built into the price prior to the announcement.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    Looks like the market doesn't like the result. The best result from CEN in years sees the SP drop 9 c so far. The way that it increased so rapidly over the previous week does suggest that there may have been sufficient insider trading to see that the result was fully built into the price prior to the announcement.
    Yes you can be forgiven for reading that into it Jantar. But we do nay care, just look forward to the juicy dividend and enjoy the large rise in SP in recent weeks. Happy holder

Advanced Member

We will never know.I made the mistake of selling my contact earlier this year and sold off half my mercury when the sp appeared to be running ahead and i wanted to diversify more (oceania,Sum,windfarms,heartland).

It is the nature of people to help their friends and whispers must get out before the annual result .It would be fairer to shareholders if companies made more frequent announcements of progress.

On the doghouse

Like the 'insider trading' that has seen our CEN investment climb 35% since the beginning of the year you mean?

There are full time energy analysts out there that do little else other than pour over gentailer results. You really expected them to be 'caught out' on result announcement day, and the CEN share price to surge?

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    We will never know.I made the mistake of selling my contact earlier this year and sold off half my mercury when the sp appeared to be running ahead and i wanted to diversify more (oceania,Sum,windfarms,heartland).
    What mistake? You think you could have diversified more by just holding on to all your power company shares?

There is a saying around the markets for those that borrow to buy in the expectation of a recovery that:

"The market can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent."

The sellers regret equivalent of this is:

"The market can remain over exuberant longer than you can remain greedy."

Don't beat yourself up over this fish.

It is the nature of people to help their friends and whispers must get out before the annual result .It would be fairer to shareholders if companies made more frequent announcements of progress.
    Contact do produce monthly operational reports. I am not aware of any public company reporting more frequently than that. Short of driving your campervan to within binocular sight of the Clyde dam and keeping a daily eye on Dunstan lake levels, I am not sure what more you could do.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 13-08-2019 at 09:08 AM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7